Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can we talk about tire pressure

Just a reminder that with the temps falling it is a good time to check your tire pressure. When for an hour ride today and still had some instability over 65mph When I got home and let things cool down I checked my pressures. I have not checked them in 1 month but here is what I found Frt 14psi rear 24.5psi. A month ago they were Frt 18 rear 28. Could that be a factor in my squirrelly 65+ situation? Cooler temps always cause pressures to drop. Now the discussion. I have been driving Corvettes for over 10yrs in fact traded my '98 for the Spyder and found that using nitrogen instead of air had some benefit to it.
    1. Air(oxygen) can and does weep through rubber.
    2. Nitrogen does not

I know a lot of people say nitrogen is snake oil but my experience tells me differently. With air after a long drive my tire pressures were usually 4-5lbs higher when they were hot. With Nitrogen it was usually 2-3 lbs. With air every fall I had to add air because the TPMS would start yelling at me. I ran year round with nitrogen and cold tire pressure remained the same. Nitrogen molecules are larger that some of the gasses(oxygen) in air that weep through rubber. That is the scientific reason it does not weep as much. We all know racers use nitrogen because it simply is more stable and predictable for hot tires. Since we have 2 ply crappy tires I would assume they may weep even more. Yes I know air is 79% nitrogen but that 21% can and does shrink more with lower temps than pure Nitrogen does. I am considering going to full nitrogen on my Spyder and wonder if anyone else has and what results were?
    Thanks for your thoughtful replies
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

No comment on the nitrogen, but if you checked your tires after a ride, even after a cool-down, you may wish to check them again in the morning. Tires should be checked cold, and it takes them a long time to reach ambient temperatures...especially tires as big as those the Spyder uses. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No comment on the nitrogen, but if you checked your tires after a ride, even after a cool-down, you may wish to check them again in the morning. Tires should be checked cold, and it takes them a long time to reach ambient temperatures...especially tires as big as those the Spyder uses. JMHO
    No I checked them cold 10hrs after the ride and they were set at the previous pressures cold but the ambient was 10-15deg higher at the time. I actually set them .5lbs higher than my 18/28 because I know the temps will be dropping in the next week or two.
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Dealer told me to use nitrogen in rear tire. He says they are seeing better tire wear.

Spyder Garage

i use nitrogen in our cars and I can attest that my pressures stay constant. i've always gotten great tire wear since switching over years ago. when I finally get a spyder it will have nitrogen it all it's tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Call me cheap ; but I think that a lot of the hoopla concerning the use ot nitrogen in tires is just an excuse to sell you something...
    I use the cheap nitrogen that's got a little bit of air left in it ...and I check my pressures before hitting the road!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I, also think you are making a big deal over nothing. Air up those crappy tires to the pressure you like and go out and ride. If not, go out and install some non crappy tires and inflate with whatever you see fit. my2$

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That two cents was worth at LEAST a nickel! keelnickelproof_obv.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    i use nitrogen in our cars and I can attest that my pressures stay constant. i've always gotten great tire wear since switching over years ago. when I finally get a spyder it will have nitrogen it all it's tires.
    Ya know thinking about how quickly the rear tire wears(and usually the center) I wonder how much of that is due to the 4-5 extra lbs that air causes when hot hmmm....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Just a reminder that with the temps falling it is a good time to check your tire pressure. When for an hour ride today and still had some instability over 65mph When I got home and let things cool down I checked my pressures. I have not checked them in 1 month but here is what I found Frt 14psi rear 24.5psi. A month ago they were Frt 18 rear 28. Could that be a factor in my squirrelly 65+ situation? Cooler temps always cause pressures to drop. Now the discussion. I have been driving Corvettes for over 10yrs in fact traded my '98 for the Spyder and found that using nitrogen instead of air had some benefit to it.
    2. Nitrogen does not

I know a lot of people say nitrogen is snake oil but my experience tells me differently. With air after a long drive my tire pressures were usually 4-5lbs higher when they were hot. With Nitrogen it was usually 2-3 lbs. With air every fall I had to add air because the TPMS would start yelling at me. I ran year round with nitrogen and cold tire pressure remained the same. Nitrogen molecules are larger that some of the gasses(oxygen) in air that weep through rubber. That is the scientific reason it does not weep as much. We all know racers use nitrogen because it simply is more stable and predictable for hot tires. Since we have 2 ply crappy tires I would assume they may weep even more. Yes I know air is 79% nitrogen but that 21% can and does shrink more with lower temps than pure Nitrogen does. I am considering going to full nitrogen on my Spyder and wonder if anyone else has and what results were?
    I use it in my 11 Subaru & noticed a 2 MPG increase. Just not sure I want to spend $20 for 3 tires on spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    I use it in my 11 Subaru & noticed a 2 MPG increase. Just not sure I want to spend $20 for 3 tires on spyder
    Yep that is the question. BRP should be doing it during setup IMHO.

Spyder Garage

My dealer put nitrogen in my tires. I our race series most of the teams use nitrogen instead of "air."

That being said, every vehicle I've ever owned has had to have the tire pressure adjusted a bit over time.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Consumer reports did a study on this years back and found a 2.2 avg pressure loss in Nitro tires vs 3.5 for air (they didn't specify duration but the study lasted a year on 62 tires).
    Also the nitrogen is not 100%, 93% is considered "pure" in the industry. That's only a 15% diff. Another issue is for those of us that check air monthly, how to you top off with nitro conveniently.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default TPMS

I have a TPMS on my Spyder. I love it!!!
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My thoughts, exactly.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nitrogen for non-racing vehicles is nothing more than snake oil for tires.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Nitrogen for non-racing vehicles is nothing more than snake oil for tires.
    Personal preferance- like oil,Gas, laundry detergent, Dog/Cat food, hotdogs, steaks I could go on. What works for some may not for other so

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dave

i have both to deal with and really don't see any advantage to nitrogen. The SRX that my wife owns has nitrogen, my Silverado has compressed Air and so does the Spyder. The Spyder requires more attention then the other two" I guess it is the OEM Kenda Tires?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    2. Nitrogen does not

"2 ply crappy tires", just curious if you did any research on your Spyder before you bought it, seems that you are unhappy with everything related to Spyders. Just a observation from this end.

Cruzr Joe, a Happy Spyder Owner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    My dealer put nitrogen in my tires. I our race series most of the teams use nitrogen instead of "air."

That being said, every vehicle I've ever owned has had to have the tire pressure adjusted a bit over time.

racers also use nitrogen for another reason.... It is portable, cheap and high pressure for air tools and the adjusting of tire pressures for track conditions

Spyder Garage

I'll dive in here. The biggest reason for nitrogen use in tires is deterioration. Water in air reacts with rubber compounds and corrodes metal rims and any exposed cord steel inside the tire. Water is present in compressed air, that's why there are drains on compressors. Some shops don't do a good job of keeping water out of the compressed air. That water is carried right through the lines and hose direct to the tire. Once in there, it stays. One of the best things to do before filling/topping off a tire is to press the valve stem on the air chuck, if mist comes out, there's water in the line. I can tell you from fact, I have taken tires off rims and have had as much as a pint of water come out of the tire. Sometimes more. Too, there is a procedure to follow if putting nitrogen in tires that have previously been filled with air. The tires must go through a nitrogen/air purge. This is normally done three times before the final fill with nitrogen. Newly mounted tires are not subject to this procedure, unless air is used for the preliminary mounting. Another consideration. The tire dealer should have a system that generates 100% nitrogen. This system is expensive hence the high cost of nitrogen fills.

Bottom line, if you're going to replace the air with nitrogen, it has to be done properly with the purge procedure. If not, you're wasting you're money.

I have nitrogen in my truck tires. It was put in when I had the new tires mounted. I haven't noticed much change ant change in fuel mileage. I have noticed a better ride. I have had them topped off twice in two years. The tire dealer does not charge for top off. They also have the 100% nitrogen system. Would I put it in our Spyders. no. Because It's not worth the cost to do it properly.

JMHO.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    "2 ply crappy tires", just curious if you did any research on your Spyder before you bought it, seems that you are unhappy with everything related to Spyders. Just a observation from this end.

Cruzr Joe, a Happy Spyder Owner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    So you are going to defend Kenda tires now ? No I did not research the tires on it I though $24k would get me some decent ones though.... I paid less for my Terrain. Right now I am frustrated because the myriad of issue mine is having so glad yours is so good have fun riding.
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I'll dive in here. The biggest reason for nitrogen use in tires is deterioration. Water in air reacts with rubber compounds and corrodes metal rims and any exposed cord steel inside the tire. Water is present in compressed air, that's why there are drains on compressors. Some shops don't do a good job of keeping water out of the compressed air. That water is carried right through the lines and hose direct to the tire. Once in there, it stays. One of the best things to do before filling/topping off a tire is to press the valve stem on the air chuck, if mist comes out, there's water in the line. I can tell you from fact, I have taken tires off rims and have had as much as a pint of water come out of the tire. Sometimes more. Too, there is a procedure to follow if putting nitrogen in tires that have previously been filled with air. The tires must go through a nitrogen/air purge. This is normally done three times before the final fill with nitrogen. Newly mounted tires are not subject to this procedure, unless air is used for the preliminary mounting. Another consideration. The tire dealer should have a system that generates 100% nitrogen. This system is expensive hence the high cost of nitrogen fills.

Bottom line, if you're going to replace the air with nitrogen, it has to be done properly with the purge procedure. If not, you're wasting you're money.

I have nitrogen in my truck tires. It was put in when I had the new tires mounted. I haven't noticed much change ant change in fuel mileage. I have noticed a better ride. I have had them topped off twice in two years. The tire dealer does not charge for top off. They also have the 100% nitrogen system. Would I put it in our Spyders. no. Because It's not worth the cost to do it properly.

JMHO.
    Exactly my experience with my Vettes and I forgot to mention the water part it caused my chromed rims to bubble on the beads causing leaks which is why I went nitro to begin with thanks for sharing good info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Other than the fact that they're only a two-ply tire; what's wrong with the oem Kendas??
    Are they sneaking out at night to steal from other houses in your neighborhood?
    Are they adicted to painkillers?
    Are they cheating on their income taxes?

You've been rather non-specifc; what's up??

Spyder Garage

Mine just leave rice on the garage floor.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards