Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Help Please - Brake problems on the road

I just arived in Maggie Valley for a six-day stay. My gas mileage recently dropped significantly and there is a noise emanating from the rear wheel assembly.. When I got off the Spyder, I felt the sprocket and hub for heat. They were cool. I then moved on to the rear brake rotor. It was really hot (can't hold fingers on the sprocket). Given the fact that I'm miles from a dealer and it is a holiday weekend, does anyone have any advice? Hitchiking is out.

Bike specs: 2012 RT-S, around 7,000 miles, no brake or wheel work done.
    Last edited by gnirtsnod; 10-12-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Bike Specs

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I can only tell you that even if you havent hit the brakes it will be to hot to touch. Just the rotor passing by the brake pads will make them to hot for fingers. Make sure you dont see the rotor turning a blueish color and you dont smell brake pads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    I can only tell you that even if you havent hit the brakes it will be to hot to touch. Just the rotor passing by the brake pads will make them to hot for fingers. Make sure you dont see the rotor turning a blueish color and you dont smell brake pads.

So the rear brakes are always rubbing the rotor? Front rotors were as cool can be.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine touch enough to be to hot to touch. That is strange that your fronts are that cool. I wish someone else would chime in on this subject. I just happened to pull in about 10 mins before I made that earlier post and walked back outside and touched my back rotor. It wasn't hot but it was warm.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What kind of noise is it making? And if you have access to a screwdriver see if you can pry a little on the pads and push them away from the rotor. I just did mine with a flat screwdriver.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Back off the parking brake manually (unless you see an obvious problem like the cable hanging up on the vinyl coating where it enters the sheath at the front end). If that doesn't cure it, the rear brake caliper will need service. If it is the parking brake, hopefully lube and adjustment will cure it. Otherwise it would need troubleshooting and service. After dragging the brake for so long, it would be a good idea to have the rear caliper removed and all brake parts cleaned thoroughly as soon as practical. If you can't cure the problem on the road, you will need to limp to a dealer or call road service for a tow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I hate to ask the obvious but are you sure you actually have a problem?

Since the mere hint of a foot hovering over the brake pedal sends you into limp mode nirvanna so if you haven't thrown any codes and if your parking brake engages maybe there is something like a stick or road debris caught between the rotor and caliper.
    No hovering. I ride with my right foot kicked out away from the Spyder. No codes. Went out and watched as the parking brake was released and engaged - all smooth and clean operation. No debris, however, there is an abundance of brake dust on the inside of the rear rim. I'm going to sleep on it, limit my riding tomorrow, and get it to the dealership in Kodak, TN on Monday if they are open, Tuesday, otherwise.

Spyder Garage

I live in Maggie Valley and I use the dealer in Kodak...Mountain Motorsports. Solid dealer. If I can answer any questions or if you need anything let me know.

Spyder Garage

If you could get the rear wheel off the ground and spin the tire that would tell you a lot.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    I live in Maggie Valley and I use the dealer in Kodak...Mountain Motorsports. Solid dealer. If I can answer any questions or if you need anything let me know.
    Thank you for the endorsement of MMS/Kodak and for making yourself available. I hope that I won't have to interrupt your Sunday, but if you could PM me your number so I will have it on hand, I would appreciate it. ...Don

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Im with NancysToy. It very well could be your parking brake.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammar issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen! now Free