Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation This HURTS!!! Help?

I've had my 2013 RT SE5 for a week and it's a lot of fun, but I've been struggling with the hot foot issue since day one. Today it was sunny and 85 outside and we went for a 2 hour ride. After half an hour my foot was on fire! I have worn combat boots in downtown Baghdad when it was so hot outside that the sole of our boots were melting on the pavement but this was much, much worse! The heat felt like it was mainly on the inside of my foot, and not on the toes of my boot. I had to stop and check on my foot after a while because it became unbearable and when I took my boot off my foot was bright red. I knew that this was a problem and ordered some cat shields from Spyderpops but unfortunately I didn't realize they wouldn't fit on the 2013 until they arrived. I didn't think it would be anything like this. What can I do? Is there anything that will help fix this for the 2013 RT? We have to make the 2 1/2 hour drive home tomorrow and I can tell you I am not looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Dat Guy; 10-12-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

On the drive home use cruise control when you can and hold your leg up in the air. J/K

Call BRP and complain

There are some bandaids here that people can tell you about.

Sucks that you have to go through this!

Spyder Garage
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been more than "several" threads about this issue...
    You're not alone, and lots of folks are looking for a way to alleviate the heat to the feet!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did a 1600 mile ride on my '12 RT that does NOT have as bad a right foot heat issue as the '13 RT. My leather boot on my right foot changed colors and the sole was damaged. I ended up putting ice water in my boot every gas stop to keep from getting burnt It was 98 out most of the time with 106 showing on the gauge so I don't blame the RT just a very hot ride. With many of the '13 RT's you might need to add ice even earlier than I did.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default I got the web footboards and I myself cant fell the heat like I did before ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    I've had my 2013 RT SE5 for a week and it's a lot of fun, but I've been struggling with the hot foot issue since day one. Today it was sunny and 85 outside and we went for a 2 hour ride. After half an hour my foot was on fire! I have worn combat boots in downtown Baghdad when it was so hot outside that the sole of our boots were melting on the pavement but this was much, much worse! The heat felt like it was mainly on the inside of my foot, and not on the toes of my boot. I had to stop and check on my foot after a while because it became unbearable and when I took my boot off my foot was bright red. I knew that this was a problem and ordered some cat shields from Spyderpops but unfortunately I didn't realize they wouldn't fit on the 2013 until they arrived. I didn't think it would be anything like this. What can I do? Is there anything that will help fix this for the 2013 RT? We have to make the 2 1/2 hour drive home tomorrow and I can tell you I am not looking forward to it!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Wrap your boot in tin foil, your foot will cook more evenly.

Good luck

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the heat issue. This has been reported by many owners of the 2013's. There are numerous threads and fix ideas out there--so recommend using the search function for ideas, etc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Surely if folks are suffering potential physical injury whilst riding
    their new Spyders, BRP must do something to permanently alleviate the problem.
    If the heat is so fierce that it is damaging/melting footwear then it follows
    that this a huge fire hazard given the amount of plastic components bolted
    to the motor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Wrap your boot in tin foil, your foot will cook more evenly.

Good luck
    And will remain tender and moist!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

After reading about "Hot Foot" this time and for sometime I am wondering why some Spyders and not others. I have been lucky and not experienced excessive heat. So many others have. Got mine on May 8th and Spyders purchased before and after have had this problem. Just wondering??
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default was out today

nice and cool out today and my foot was still hot and the temp. gauge was 3/4 of the way up, and i was by the ocean
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    And will remain tender and moist!
    Is it soup yet??

Spyder Garage

Well, we made it home. Was a pretty rough ride, especially because of traffic that we weren't expecting. Going to have to throw these boots away and hide my foot from the wife because of a blister on my ankle. If she had any idea what my foot felt like when riding this thing she would have me driving it back to the dealer today! Thanks for the input folks, I'm looking for any options to help alleviate this problem. I've got a lot more reading to do here on the forum and hopefully I'll find something that works!

As a sidenote, we were stuck in traffic and we ran out of gas. I filled it up with a 91 octane yesterday and only got 136 miles before it croaked. Luckily I have a 1.25 gallon fuel can I keep in the left saddlebag in case of emergencies so we were able to make it to a gas station. That only works out 21.1 miles per gallon. Not sure what to think about that just yet…
    Last edited by Dat Guy; 10-12-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

ANYBODY TRIED ONE OF THOSE COOKING CANNISTERS THAT YOU CAN BUY FOR SLEDS? AS LONG AS YOU'RE DEALING WITH THE HEAT ISSUE YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE SOME HOTDOGS TO GO ALONG WITH THE COLD BREWS! I SURE AM GLAD I BOUGHT MINE IN 2012, AND FEEL FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM WITH THE 2013'S!

Spyder Garage

It comes with one. Tho on most vehicles it's called a 'glove box ' on the spyder it serves a dual purpose. It will dry your gloves, or, heat your lunch.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Well, we made it home. Was a pretty rough ride, especially because of traffic that we weren't expecting. Going to have to throw these boots away and hide my foot from the wife because of a blister on my ankle. If she had any idea what my foot felt like when writing this thing she would have me driving it back to the dealer today! Thanks for the input folks, I'm looking for any options to help alleviate this problem. I've got a lot more reading to do here on the form and hopefully I'll find something that works!

As a sidenote, we were stuck in traffic and we ran out of gas. I filled it up with a 91 octane yesterday and only got 136 miles before it croaked. Luckily I have a 1.25 gallon fuel can I keep in the left saddlebag in case of emergencies so we were able to make it to a gas station. That only works out 21.1 miles per gallon. Not sure what to think about that just yet…
    Average mileage seems to be about 30 mpg. Run a few tanks and fill to the same level each time. Zero out a trip meter at each fill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default mpg

well today my low fuel light cam on at 89 miles and it took almost 5 gal's of gas now my friend say my tail pipe and said it looks like it's running rich who knows i almost give up
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default hot foot

I closed off the upper vent and added a round ajustable diyer vent from lowes to the lower vent forcing the hot air down and out to the right total big 3.50 vent and some thin sheet metal to cover upper vent total 8.00 dollars , I have used it for 10k no hot foot

Spyder Garage

That sounds like an excellent mod. Could you post pictures of that please?

As for me, I believe it's the heat from the pipes next to my foot and not from the radiator vents that's causing the problem. I reached down a few times and athough there was very hot air coming out of the vent, it was the side of the bike that was really blistering hot.

One other thing I forgot to mention: the bike often shuts off for no reason when sitting at a stoplight or stopped in traffic. It is not overheating, and there is gas in it for certain since I just filled it up. This has happened to me at least half a dozen times and I can't figure out why it would be shutting off on its own. This is starting to really concern me. I've owned several new vehicles before and never had this many issues right off the bat. I like the concept of the spyder but it's execution has me thinking I have made a poor choice. Very disappointed at the moment.

Spyder Garage

I have an IR temp reader and never seen more than 124deg in that area(plastic or metal) on mine and I check it regularly. I have Seal Dlx floorboards that give lots of room to move your feet around I hated the foot peg.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

This may be way out, but I had a simlar problem on a ST1100. Have you checked the coolant level ? The ST1100 was low on coolant. It sounds like your running hot if the gauge is that high, even in summer to. Experts ?????
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    well today my low fuel light cam on at 89 miles and it took almost 5 gal's of gas now my friend say my tail pipe and said it looks like it's running rich who knows i almost give up
    17.8 mpg sounds very low. Let's hope they get your issues figured out, and then solved.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Silverado gets better mileage than that in Town...

Spyder Garage

Best I have seen has been 26.5mpg on a 90% highway150 mi. trip I sure hope it gets better 1600mi on the clock.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment