Spyder Garage

Default Replaced my Honda Gaskets

I thought I would take a look at my Honda "Y" pipe gaskets that I installed over three yrs ago, on my '08 GS manual. I've got to tell you, they looked as good as the day I installed them, except for the color. So if your thinking of doing the same, forget it, they're fine. It's too bad BRP didn't use these on their assembly line. Of course on reassembly, I did install new gaskets. I do have to admit, that I don't put the miles on, like alot of you members, but these only had approx. 12000 miles on them, which is more than the originals had, and they were completly gone.
    The job took less than 1 1/2 hrs.That's from removing the panles and pipes, to installing the panles again. The hardest part for me is stretching the springs, holding the pipes together, but with a home-made hooked tool, I got past that.
    For those wanting to change to the Honda gasket, the # is 18392-MAM-000 at your local Honda dealer. I purchased this set, when I purchased the first set, so don't ask me for a price, The mind is starting to slip
    DSC06787.jpgDSC06791.jpgDSC06797.jpg
    Last edited by Big Arm; 10-10-2013 at 08:52 PM.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    I thought I would take a look at my Honda "Y" pipe gaskets that I installed over three yrs ago, on my '08 GS manual. I've got to tell you, they looked as good as the day I installed them, except for the color. So if your thinking of doing the same, forget it, they're fine. It's too bad BRP didn't use these on their assembly line. Of course on reassembly, I did install new gaskets. I do have to admit, that I don't put the miles on, like alot of you members, but these only had approx. 12000 miles on them, which is more than the originals had, and they were completly gone.
    The job took less than 1 1/2 hrs.That's from removing the panles and pipes, to installing the panles again. The hardest part for me is stretching the springs, holding the pipes together, but with a home-made hooked tool, I got past that.
    For those wanting to change to the Honda gasket, the # is 18392-MAM-000 at your local Honda dealer. I purchased this set, when I purchased the first set, so don't ask me for a price, The mind is starting to slip
    DSC06787.jpgDSC06791.jpgDSC06797.jpg
    The Honda gaskets are much better. I changed mine on my old GS after 6000 miles. The engine stared to back fire and the right side was getting very hot! I bought Two new sets after another 11,000 miles but found out the old ones were as good as new. I now have two new sets but no GS.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Update. Thanks for any help.

I am replacing the gaskets on my ST. Can't use the Honda ones as they are too small.

Question: how did you install them? Onto the headers or into the cat converter then onto headers? I can't seem to get the opening wide enough to fully insert the gasket and not sure if putting them on headers and shoving converter up would work.

Cat converter opening with new gasket
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451758519.524173.jpg

Old vs new gasket
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451758366.520273.jpg

Honda vs BRP 2013 or newer gaskets
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451758415.444866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST-Ltd
    Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post

I installed my at 6,000 miles due to leakage, easy job. I bought 2 sets and at over 20,000 miles and the 2nd set are still on the shelf.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Update. Thanks for any help.

I am replacing the gaskets on my ST. Can't use the Honda ones as they are too small.

Question: how did you install them? Onto the headers or into the cat converter then onto headers? I can't seem to get the opening wide enough to fully insert the gasket and not sure if putting them on headers and shoving converter up would work.

Cat converter opening with new gasket
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451758519.524173.jpg

Old vs new gasket
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451758366.520273.jpg

Honda vs BRP 2013 or newer gaskets
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451758415.444866.jpg

Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    I have used a exhaust opening spreader that works well for these kind of projects and saves a ton on time. I think Harbor Freight sells them too
    Those gaskets look like the same I used on my old Harley..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info!
    For the Record: The gaskets being discussed will ONLY fit a GS or RS that has the 106 horsepower, 990 series engine (Throttle by cable; not by wire)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Onto the header first. This will support the gasket and prevent it from crushing. Then open up the following pipe as much as possible and tap on with force as needed. It won't matter if it scuffs the outer rim of the gasket.
    If you put the gasket into the pipe first you run the risk of partially collapsing the gasket and you'll either damage it trying to then slide it on the header or it won't seal.
    Also, make sure you clean all your surfaces really well and personally I coat all the slip fittings with antiseize to help everything slide together.
    Once you get everything together don't forget to retorque after a few hundred miles.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 01-02-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks

Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red