Thread: First RT Ride

Spyder Garage

Default First RT Ride

I have been riding motorcycles for over 43 years and did get to demo a new 2008 Spyder once while my dealer was changing a motorcycle tire for me. I have been having a lot of knee and back trouble lately and will be having arthroscopy on the right knee in a month or two. Lower back surgery is also a possiblilty this winter as well. These issues have me considering going to three wheels. Yesterday while visiting my dealer, he offered me a demo on a new yellow gold 2013 RT-S SE5 and I took him up on it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled and the easy to use electric shift was nice too. I am aware of the new 1330cc triple and six speed coming soon on the 2014 models and have been lurking around the forums to get what the good and bad is regarding the RT. Should things get worse or even no better with my body I will definitely be ready to make the switch from two wheels to three as I do'n't want to give up riding any time soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear the health issues may be playing your hand; but it's always nice to know that there are options!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Once you have made the switch you will wonder why you ever had any question in your mind. From what I have read so far the 2014 Spyder RT is the way to go. I am sure there will be issues hopefully nothing to serious. It looks like BRP is trying to address older issues in their new design.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for Replying

I am currently on a 2012 Victory Cross Country and have also looked into having it converted into a trike. The Roadsmith conversion would run 12 to 13 thousand and that's not including the labor. Looks like a 2014 RT-S SE6 would be about in the same dollar difference ballpark based on MSRP plus tax & title using Kelley Blue Book value on my bike. It looks like the additional labor cost would be the deal breaker on the trike conversion, not to mention the finished trike would still be a 2012 Victory with no warranty except on the conversion kit. Yesterday I got my chance to sample a Spyder RT model for the first time and came away with a positive impression. The smaller V-twin engine seemed a bit "busier" sounding but considering the load it's carrying it did a good job accelerating and staying with traffic. Based upon that, the new engine should just be that much better considering a jump in displacement from about 60 cubic inches to about 80 for the new triple. My 106 cube V-twin in my Victory is a completely different animal anyhow as motorcycles to Spyder comparisons are like apples and oranges. Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

do hope the planned repairs to you aching body work well. Even if you can continue on the victory the spyder can keep you going on the open road a lot longer. Good luck and hope to see you three wheeling..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Have you considered a 2012 model? It may cost less for you to buy a brand new 2012RT compared to 2014RT. Just sayn'
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

to the site. Same here on issues, and now ryde on three instead of two because of them.

There are lots of options that only you can decide on. 2012, 2013, 2014. All are exciting possibilities and have their various pros and cons. If you have been reading the site, you got the idea.

The wait and see attitude until spring may present more answers to help you decide. Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Springtime

I'll no doubt be waiting till springtime to see whether the surgeries (knee is for sure, the back isn't yet) do or don't make any improvement for me. Over the winter & early spring I'll be busy online checking out the 2014s for any kinds of long term testing and the forums to see how the owners are doing with them. I'm not rushing into anything and would rather make a well informed decision and do the research before I spend the money. Thanks all of you and I'll be on here often.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping that you're able to heal quickly and completely from your upcoming surgeries...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have had both my knees replaced and they are doing great compared to what they use to be. I bought a 2013 RT Limited spyder in July and like it a lot. I still have a Harley but it seems to be gathering dust as I ride the spyder all the time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post
    Have you considered a 2012 model? It may cost less for you to buy a brand new 2012RT compared to 2014RT. Just sayn'
    Great suggestion! I have a 2012 RT Limited that I took possession of 17 months ago and now have almost 23,000 absolutely trouble-free miles on it. If you don't go for the 2014 RT, seriously consider the 2012 RT Limited.