Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks like my new 13 is going to be replaced with a 14!

Been working with my dealer on my laundry list of complaints on my 30 day old 13 RTS, but the wife is fed-up! She will not ride on it, don't want to get stranded or have a fire. She said "do what you want but i'm not getting on it" so it looks like it's going back to be replaced with an identical one but a 14. I'm going to order a yellow but seriously considering the manual shift this time. Dealer says Jan or Feb on the manual. I know it's going to cost me some money but what are you going to do? What good is a touring bike if the other half of 2-up wont ride it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that it had to come to that...
    If the Navigator ain't happy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

“The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” ~ John Pierpont Morgan
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

have you been working with BRP? I feel y'alls pain.....good luck...BRP needs to make the 2013's right

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    have you been working with BRP? I feel y'alls pain.....good luck...BRP needs to make the 2013's right
    Why should they? With winter coming on the heat complaints will disappear, Some owners will trade in their 13's for 14's, Then BRP will sell more 14's, Then with the discounted prices of the 13's BRP will get a bunch of newbies into the fold... Win-win I'll say...[for BRP]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I do have a case number with BRP but they would never call me back. The dealer is willing to fix my other complaints, which is stuff that could happen to ANY bike... shift switch sticking, oil leak at pressure switch, parking brake wont release. That last one was what did me in! When you go to ride it to work and the D#*N parking brake wont release! I finally got it to release by trying what was posted on here, unhooking the battery. But with all the hot plastic parts, boiling fuel, hot gas cap, and a burning plastic smell my wife is scared of it. She don't even want me on it. Prolly watching videos of burning spyders on youtube didn't help. I'm going to call BRP today to see if they are going to offer any assistance towards that new model but i'm not holding my breath. I am surprised at how well the dealer is working with me even though he has not told me how much more it's going to cost me. I do however realize that it "will" cost more money but at this point I have to do something or just try to sell it and give up...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I do have a case number with BRP but they would never call me back. The dealer is willing to fix my other complaints, which is stuff that could happen to ANY bike... shift switch sticking, oil leak at pressure switch, parking brake wont release. That last one was what did me in! When you go to ride it to work and the D#*N parking brake wont release! I finally got it to release by trying what was posted on here, unhooking the battery. But with all the hot plastic parts, boiling fuel, hot gas cap, and a burning plastic smell my wife is scared of it. She don't even want me on it. Prolly watching videos of burning spyders on youtube didn't help. I'm going to call BRP today to see if they are going to offer any assistance towards that new model but i'm not holding my breath. I am surprised at how well the dealer is working with me even though he has not told me how much more it's going to cost me. I do however realize that it "will" cost more money but at this point I have to do something or just try to sell it and give up...
    The price didn't go up much on the 2014s and if you are going from an SE to an SM it will be cheaper that is except for the depreciation hit.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

I would do the same if my wife felt that way. You should come out fairly well on the deal. By Jan/Feb things should be settling down...good luck...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingobabe View Post
    BRP needs to make the 2013's right
    If BRP's "fix kit" didn't adequately address your problem.

What would making it right look like in your case?

Not stiring the hornets nest.....just asking an honest question. Cause it appears BRP has done all they are going to do.

Jer

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your problem. You do have a lot of issues with your new machine. Wonder if dealer set up had anything to do with some of the issues?

If you are not comfortable with the 2013--due to its current reputation--by all means trade up if you still want to stick with the brand. The depreciation hit--might be worth it in the long run. A spouse who is unhappy to the point of refusing to ride on the machine is not a good situation.

Having to wait until Jan/Feb for the manual is a win-win for you. By then, the reports should be coming in about the 2014's and we will know if it is a winner or not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default lemon laws?????

does a spyder fall into the lemon law or do they get off because due to being recreational vehicle

Spyder Garage

Each state would be different as far as the lemon law. Check in your own state.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The price didn't go up much on the 2014s and if you are going from an SE to an SM it will be cheaper that is except for the depreciation hit.
    I hope it don't have much depreciation as it is only 30 days old today!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    If BRP's "fix kit" didn't adequately address your problem.

What would making it right look like in your case?

Not stiring the hornets nest.....just asking an honest question. Cause it appears BRP has done all they are going to do.

Jer
    I think that BRP's fix is just a protection kit to cover up the parts that are getting too hot and melting. This does nothing to address the issue of the heat in the first place. I don't really know what it would take for a "proper" fix, maybe a new exhaust system better ventilation for the body panels?

Spyder Garage

Default new bike

good luck to you
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Been working with my dealer on my laundry list of complaints on my 30 day old 13 RTS, but the wife is fed-up! She will not ride on it, don't want to get stranded or have a fire. She said "do what you want but i'm not getting on it" so it looks like it's going back to be replaced with an identical one but a 14. I'm going to order a yellow but seriously considering the manual shift this time. Dealer says Jan or Feb on the manual. I know it's going to cost me some money but what are you going to do? What good is a touring bike if the other half of 2-up wont ride it.
    Sound like you made a wise decision. If your primary riding buddy says no to it and okays the deal. Sounds like the boss has spoken you better get your dealer on tracking down that new ride. It's not fun riding without your playmate, is it?

Spyder Garage

I think that BRP's fix is just a protection kit to cover up the parts that are getting too hot and melting. This does nothing to address the issue of the heat in the first place. I don't really know what it would take for a "proper" fix, maybe a new exhaust system better ventilation for the body panels?
    Ceramic coated headers would be a good start
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Ballpark is about 25% once you drive it off the lot. 30 days old usually does not figure into the equation. I am guessing the hit on the 2013 could be a little worse, given the current situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You lost 20% when it went from 'new' to 'used' the day you took it home. That combined with the rebates which effected the prices for ALL 2013s, you are going to find the trade up difference somewhere in the 6 to 12 k range. Used 2013 RTs are selling in the 19k range and new 14s are 28k. 30 days or 8 months don't really matter much.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Sound like you made a wise decision. If your primary riding buddy says no to it and okays the deal. Sounds like the boss has spoken you better get your dealer on tracking down that new ride. It's not fun riding without your playmate, is it?
    No it's not! She has only been on it one time the first week we got it. She got scared when it was filling our garage with gas fumes. Although the dealer seems to have mysteriously fixed that issue the fact remains that it's getting a extremely hot gas tank. Even the gas cap is getting to 150 degrees.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You lost 20% when it went from 'new' to 'used' the day you took it home. That combined with the rebates which effected the prices for ALL 2013s, you are going to find the trade up difference somewhere in the 6 to 12 k range. Used 2013 RTs are selling in the 19k range and new 14s are 28k. 30 days or 8 months don't really matter much.
    It's a 30 day old RT-S that cost me $29000.00 and has 700 miles. I'm thinking for the dealer to keep me and the wife off "the pissed off list" i'm thinking the only loss should be the difference between the 13 RTS and the 14 RTS. I have been keeping my cool so far, with a factory that wont return calls to a new customer with serious concerns and a dealer that thinks i'm making it up. (like we all are)

Spyder Garage

It's a 30 day old RT-S that cost me $29000.00 and has 700 miles. I'm thinking for the dealer to keep me and the wife off "the pissed off list" i'm thinking the only loss should be the difference between the 13 RTS and the 14 RTS. I have been keeping my cool so far, with a factory that wont return calls to a new customer with serious concerns and a dealer that thinks i'm making it up. (like we all are)
    You will be very lucky to get $25k more like $23k on a trade in. I asked about my pristine RT and it was a $5k hit with 1k miles on it 4 mo. old. The rebates are killing us they only offered $2k earlier this year on previous year new bikes. Some dealers are pushing 2013 LTD's for $5-6k off sticker new right now.
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

If you gave 29000 30 days ago that is over list price. Also what about the 3000 rebate you should have gotten. Did the dealer pocket that?

Spyder Garage

Cool

Let us ALL know how you get almost what you paid for it.. 700mi or 7,000 first year depreciation 25% no matter how mad you are

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RTS and I am very Happy, Happy, Happy, with it, that said. how can you, in all good conscience, sell a defective machine to anyone ? Do the lemon law route if you have not had luck with repairs. third, there will always be hot exhaust pipes, you know that and BRP knows that, and every hotrodder in the world knows that. That is why they did all the retrofits on the 2014's. so wrap the exhaust pipe, put a fan on the bottom of your bike to get rid of the heat, put a scoop of some sort to get more air in and more air out. if you are unable to do this work yourself, go to a car or motorcycle Friday night meet, find the guy with the dirty hands, and ask him what he would do, and if he is willing to help you out.