Spyder Garage

Default Inflation Pressure Kumho Esta AST

Had the dealer replace the OEM Kenda rear tire on my 2012 RT today. Replaced it with the Kumho Esta AST. Here's my question: On the sidewall of the Kenda it states 30 psi max pressure and the owner's manual recommends 28-30 psi. On the sidewall of the Kumho it states 51 psi max pressure. Do we still run it at 30 psi even though that would be 11 lbs under max pressure? Would 40 psi for the Kumho be too high?

Spyder Garage

Default Great question!

I too just changed my rear tire to the Kumho Ecsta AST. I would like to know the optimal rear tire pressure with this tire. I have it currently at the 28 PSI spec.

How many miles did you get out of your OEM Kenda rear tire on your 2012 RT (my rear tire still looked good at just under 8000 miles when I traded my 2012 RT for my 2014 RT). The 2014's Kenda rear tire wore totally out by 8000 miles.

Hope we get some good info from others who have lots of miles on their Kumho rear tire!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

28-30PSI is what most run them at . some at 26psi. Try those and see what you like.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Out of my son's tire shop, he sets them at 30.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm so glad you guys posted this today. I changed all 3 tires yesterday and I adjusted the pressure in the front tires from what the Motorcycle Tire shop had them but I think I forgot to change the rear tire. I forget but don't they say that the memory is the first thing that goes?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'm so glad you guys posted this today. I changed all 3 tires yesterday and I adjusted the pressure in the front tires from what the Motorcycle Tire shop had them but I think I forgot to change the rear tire. I forget but don't they say that the memory is the first thing that goes?
    I replaced mine last week, tried 30psi, to soft like riding on a low tire.Changed to 35 psi, so far handles great.Road to Kentucky and back to Michigan .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Had the dealer replace the OEM Kenda rear tire on my 2012 RT today. Replaced it with the Kumho Esta AST. Here's my question: On the sidewall of the Kenda it states 30 psi max pressure and the owner's manual recommends 28-30 psi. On the sidewall of the Kumho it states 51 psi max pressure. Do we still run it at 30 psi even though that would be 11 lbs under max pressure? Would 40 psi for the Kumho be too high?
    Right math - wrong tire. I meant to say "Do we still run it at 30 psi even though that would be 21 lbs under max pressure?"

Spyder Garage

28 psi good wear across tire with 12000 miles on kumho

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The stated max pressure on the tire is only telling you the tires capacity, the vehicle tells you what to run but not to go over what the tire says. that is every tire , every type of vehicle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

all tires have a max pressure for which they will stand behind. Go over and have tire problems they leave you where your at.. All vehicles have a suggested tire pressure for a comfortabke ryde. Here is where you come in. Do you want performance or comfort..?? So adjust your pressure for the best ryde for you. Start with the vehicle suggested pressure...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not a Car

I believe the lower pressure has a lot to do with the Spyder being much-much lighter than a car. Half as much as a small car and a third as much as a mid size sedan. It doesn't require as much pressure to support the load.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    I believe the lower pressure has a lot to do with the Spyder being much-much lighter than a car. Half as much as a small car and a third as much as a mid size sedan. It doesn't require as much pressure to support the load.
    Remember, however, that a small car has two rear wheels, sharing the weight
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Remember, however, that a small car has two rear wheels, sharing the weight
    ..........And the Spyder has THREE .....total for a vehicle that weighs between 750 and 1050 lbs ......Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the Kumho installed on my ST-L a few days ago. The pressure was at 30 psi and I thought it felt a little an the "hard" side. This was riding solo. I lowered it to 28psi and we are riding two up down here in North Carolina on what has to be the most twisty roads around. The Dragon, Cherohala ect. and today Six Gap in north Georgia. Has handled great.

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd KUMHO

I'M ON MY 2nd KUMHO IN THE REAR.... 35,000+ MILES COMBINED, 30,000 FROM MY 1st ONE....
    I HAVE A 2009 RS SE5... I RIDE 1 UP ALWAYS... I PUMP MINE UP TO 28 PSI...
    YOUR SPYD3R AND RIDING CONDITIONS WILL DETERMINE THE PROPER 'PSI' TO RUN AT... IF YOU HAVE AN RT, AND RIDE 2 UP, YOU MAY WANT TO PUMP IT UP A BIT FROM MY 28 PSI...
    MY SUGGESTION IS TO PLACE YOU SPYD3R ON A FLAT SURFACE, RUN A CAULK LIKE ACROSS THE THREAD FROM SIDE TO SIDE, MOUNT YOUR SPYD3R THE WAY YOU WOULD NORMALLY RIDE, FOR FORWARD ENOUGH WHERE YOU WILL LEAVE A CAULK MARK ON THE PAVEMENT. IF YOU SEE A LINE THAT IS COMPLETE ACROSS THE SURFACE, YOU ARE OK TO GO... IF YOU SEE A SMALL LINE IN THE MIDDLE, YOU HAVE TOO MUCH 'PSI' AND SHOULD DROP IS 1 PSI UNTIL YOU HAVE A NICE SOLID LINE... IF YOU HAVE 2 SMALL SPOTS WITH A SPACE BETWEEN THEM, YOU HAVE TOO LITTLE PSI AND SHOULD PUMP IT UP 1 PSI UNTIL IT'S CORRECT...
    GOOD LUCK, AND RIDE SAFELY....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Very true, But

I understand that an automobile has two rear tires, but still the Spyders, even the RT models weigh a bunch less. The weight of the engine & transmission is all towards the front so the weight distribution is front heavy. Maybe not so much loaded down or ryding two-up, but still more on the two front wheels than the rear one. 28 to 30 PSI sounds like a workable tire pressure for the Kumho.