Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Last day on -14 RT...

For my last day of "ownership" I decided to put on the ECO mode and be a good boy: cruise control set to the speed limit, let the machine downshift by itself etc.

Once the "Easier Companion Option" is on you have to stop looking at the road and concentrate on the gear indicator which turn in a up-green arrow when its time to shift up... On the flat you can be in 6th right before 50mph and kept it till just below 40... Engine seems to not suffer from this treatment: smooth acceleration from over 40mph and mpg way up ( or is it down?): 36mpg...
    Which at the price they sell gas on Hw1 is more than welcomed:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381107050.478637.jpg

I am sure when riding on the freeway for days at the time it will make a huge difference but for fun/every day riding, shifting up gears like a Parisian taxi wanting to save some diesel with his stinky Peugeot is not my cup of tea.

I think I am able to summerize my impressions:

Do not like:
    -chrome accents/wheels on the Limited (so I'll get a RT-S).
    -Throttle needs a little more freeplay, it is almost always on.
    -rider floorboards need to be horizontal, not tilted to the front.
    - not being able to get in 1st gear without using the brake.
    - having to press on R first then on the back paddle to shift in reverse.
    -too soft front seat after a few hours or too high windshield: position is perfect in the morning but "sinks" after more than 2 hours on the seat.
    -the dashboard: forget the analog speedo and move all the "idiots" lights and others informations on that side.

Love:
    - the engine: powerful, smooth, torquey
    - gearbox is perfect, if a little bit noisy when changing the first 3 gears, up and down.
    - new geometry of the frame/front wheels: a lot more stable, more confidence inspiring.
    - brakes are superb: biting well and never fading, very progressive.
    - nannies are not as intrusive as before: a little flashing light to warn you and then, if you keep the same tempo, some actions to slow you down.
    -passenger overall is much more comfy than before: seat is better and the absence of roll helps a lot in the twisties!
    - I do not know about error codes and the safe mode results (did not have any in 600 miles) but when I did hit the brake and the throttle (see above why) at the same time, it did not show any error code as on previous model, just a nanny brake and that's all. No need to stop the bike etc.
    - the engine sound.

What I would like:

- moving the front meshes protecting the radiators completely to the front, maybe a one piece covering completely the "mouth". It will stop debris to stay in there and would be a nice "accent" in the front (black for me, thanks!).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381107178.558701.jpg

- apart of braking what's the use to have Brembos in the front, if they are not gold with red lettering ?
    - maybe a little emblem/lettering about the size of the engine? Number of cylinders?
    - what about having 3 little pipes out of the muffler à la Triumph T150 (-69)?
    - all the chrome (or brushed ) accents in black?

Now... I have to bring back this RT tomorrow morning... Should I disapear in the sunset and ride it till the Police finds me or just do the usual things: check my credit rating, take a third mortgage and sell some blood just to be sure I'll get my own soon??

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up. You have added some good information to our data banks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks. My 14 can't get here soon enough.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are like me I love the blacked out pieces! I drove a car a few weeks ago with that Eco mode thingy and it drove me crazy, kept seeing that lighted "eco" go on and off and I found it very distracting but if you get 36 mpg using it I might have to give it a try.

Oh, if it was me I'd just keep riding.................
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

May I suggest you do an immediate 180 and head up I5 straight away for Richmond.
    I even buy you great dim sum; just me have a ride!

Glad you got a chance to test ride the 2014 RT!

Spyder Garage

Default Quick questions just for clarification....

I think I am able to summerize my impressions:

Do not like:

-rider floorboards need to be horizontal, not tilted to the front.

-too soft front seat after a few hours or too high windshield: position is perfect in the morning but "sinks" after more than 2 hours on the seat.

Regarding the tilted floorboards.... could they have been in the 'emergency released dropped-down' position' and you might not have been aware of it?

I have not seen this feature activated in person, but the BRP 2013 Demo Video introducing these new floorboards showed them in the flat horizontal position before they were released by extra toe pressure as may be required in emergency braking. As soon as the extra toe pressure was applied, they tilted down to the front until they were reset to horizontal by heel pressure applied to the rear of the board. I recently took an STS out for demo and it had the full floorboards in the tilted position and they were uncomfortable. I forgot to check and see if they were in the released position. I only remembered it when I got home.

Regarding the seat "sink".... Was it the heated Comfort Seat or the stock seat ???

Thanks for a great assessment. I'm about to place an order and your comments are appreciated.

gregp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Now... I have to bring back this RT tomorrow morning... Should I disapear in the sunset and ride it till the Police finds me or just do the usual things: check my credit rating, take a third mortgage and sell some blood just to be sure I'll get my own soon??
    You probably should return it to them...
    And then start checking your credit rating, and when the bloodbanks open!!

There's also babysitting, lawnmowing, dogwalking, painting, and selling newpapers...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GregP View Post
    Regarding the tilted floorboards.... could they have been in the 'emergency released dropped-down' position' and you might not have been aware of it?

I have not seen this feature activated in person, but the BRP 2013 Demo Video introducing these new floorboards showed them in the flat horizontal position before they were released by extra toe pressure as may be required in emergency braking. As soon as the extra toe pressure was applied, they tilted down to the front until they were reset to horizontal by heel pressure applied to the rear of the board. I recently took an STS out for demo and it had the full floorboards in the tilted position and they were uncomfortable. I forgot to check and see if they were in the released position. I only remembered it when I got home.
    Huh... that's crazy, I had no idea they implemented such a thing!

It's a minor thing, of course... except when it isn't! Personally, I've gotten quite used to having "flat" floorboards (Rivcos on my RS), I don't like a down pitch much at all.

BTW, this one confused me:

"- having to press on R first then on the back paddle to shift in reverse."

Haven't we always had to do that? That's the procedure on the RS...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to your post, BRP should be abreast on all the post and can make some changes for the future.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

excellent post
    Homer Hill

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Huh... that's crazy, I had no idea they implemented such a thing!

It's a minor thing, of course... except when it isn't! Personally, I've gotten quite used to having "flat" floorboards (Rivcos on my RS), I don't like a down pitch much at all.

BTW, this one confused me:

"- having to press on R first then on the back paddle to shift in reverse."

Haven't we always had to do that? That's the procedure on the RS...

You got me thinking and this is the 1st thing I did on my 2011 when I took it back... on mine I can press both switch at the same time...maybe something changed in the 2 years models?
    And I do prefer my footpegs compared to the titing floorboards!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    And I do prefer my footpegs compared to the titing floorboards!!!
    Buy the SM and you'll have your wish.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"PR"
    I've been thinking about your comments regarding the procedure for finding reverse gear...
    You describe it as, "Pushing the 'R' Button first, and then hitting the downshift paddle"; is that correct?
    It would seem that this would be the natural way to perform this anyway...
    Just lay your thumb on "R", and roll your left hand counter-clockwise to catch the paddle...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the tip... Too bad I've not done it this way on mine for 2 years: I've now to break a, working well, habit!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That can be rough...
    But if you were smart enough to wrangle a 2014 out of BRP's hands for a weekend; it should seem easy in comparison!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

but a big problem with the 2014 models is that there is no ​RED
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)