Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

no, not yet.

Spyder Garage

Some of us are kind of stuck when it comes to service and dealer choices. There are two authorized places to buy in all of AK. One dealer I deal with, the other, I would not. If my dealer ever goes bad--I would be forced to divest of my 's. The closest dealer from AK is Washington State. About 1500 miles or so.

So far (see signature below), so good--although we came close this summer over the valve check fiasco.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Continue to talk up the good dealers

Continue to talk up the good/great dealers! Tom Gebrecht's Whittier Fun Center in Whittier CA has provided absolutely first rate servicing of my 2010 RT. Bryce Lindsey, the service manager, knows you by name, has an excellent CanAm tech and has always met my scheduling and service needs. When I needed the water pump replaced, he got the parts ordered and in-about a week delay-then worked with me to work out a schedule. I dropped off "Scoot3r" in the evening before the scheduled work and Bryce called me by 3:00 the next afternoon that my RT was buttoned up, tested and ready to go. And it was. It's a 157 mile ride one way but so worth it!
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Some of us are kind of stuck when it comes to service and dealer choices. There are two authorized places to buy in all of AK. One dealer I deal with, the other, I would not. If my dealer ever goes bad--I would be forced to divest of my 's. The closest dealer from AK is Washington State. About 1500 miles or so.

So far (see signature below), so good--although we came close this summer over the valve check fiasco.

Everytime I saw your posts in the past about getting cold soon I wondered why since I thought you were in Arkansas, I just realized AK was Alaska.

:dummy:

LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Everytime I saw your posts in the past about getting cold soon I wondered why since I thought you were in Arkansas, I just realized AK was Alaska.

:dummy:

LOL

Had ya going there--Eh! Maybe some of my posts will make sense now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For me Velocity (1.5hr ride each way) or Columbia(2hrs each way). The one 20min away misassembled mine at delivery it was out of adjustment and some things ( cruise) did not work. Many bolts were missing ( keep finding more everytime the Tupperware comes off). The recall was not done right the EVAP was floating around when I was in there a couple of days ago, up against the header, I do not enjoy a minimum 3hr ride to sit at a dealership for hours with not even a decent waiting area so I try and work with my local one. The problem is they keep screwing up. What would you like people like us to do blow rainbows out our butts and say how great it is to ride a crappy Spyder that I overpaid for and tell you how happy and lucky I am to have a dealer at all. People who complain about others who have real issues are no help. I am so glad you are having such a good ownership experience but your post is totally uncalled for. I would like to get a laser alignment so I should ride 700mi. to get it? Get real
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Had ya going there--Eh! Maybe some of my posts will make sense now.

I'll start re reading all 9,876 of them.....be back in a minute....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Will BRP listen

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is there anything that we could do as a group to let BRP know that getting properly trained personnel in the dealerships is a primary concern??
    I'm a new member with Spyder Lovers and after reading a number of posts about dealer complaints and BRP not listening, I have to wonder if BRP does listen? I also don't understand how bringing the subject of poor dealer treatment and service is consider a matter of having wine served with cheese?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenGH View Post
    I'm a new member with Spyder Lovers and after reading a number of posts about dealer complaints and BRP not listening, I have to wonder if BRP does listen? I also don't understand how bringing the subject of poor dealer treatment and service is consider a matter of having wine served with cheese?
    I happen to agree with the OP. We all have our opinions and I expressed mine. If you don't like it, please by all means put me on your ignore list. By the way, it's whine and cheese.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Stuck with mine through the recall . . . but the difficulty getting any info out of them . . . and even contacting someone who would discuss the Spyder with me (you will have to speak the Spyder Service Department - which turned out to be one guy who scheduled, fixed, billed . . . did all things Spyder) I am switching to a dealership in Windber PA which I have heard good things about, for future work. It is a two hour ryde . . . but, hey! That's a two hour ryde in each direction . . . isn't that a good thing?
    don't know if this is closer for you or not, mosites motorsports in Irwin, pa, about 2 miles from the Irwin exit of the turnpike. service mgr is eric, techs are good and certified. I have had nothing short of great service. when the recall was made on the heat issues he had mine in and fixed before I got the letter from brp !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

If they got bad service the first time...tell us...if they go back and get bad service again...we are not interested. More than likely they were told to go somewhere else and were probably given names and addresses. Jmo...!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    For me Velocity (1.5hr ride each way) or Columbia(2hrs each way). The one 20min away misassembled mine at delivery it was out of adjustment and some things ( cruise) did not work. Many bolts were missing ( keep finding more everytime the Tupperware comes off). The recall was not done right the EVAP was floating around when I was in there a couple of days ago, up against the header, I do not enjoy a minimum 3hr ride to sit at a dealership for hours with not even a decent waiting area so I try and work with my local one. The problem is they keep screwing up. What would you like people like us to do blow rainbows out our butts and say how great it is to ride a crappy Spyder that I overpaid for and tell you how happy and lucky I am to have a dealer at all. People who complain about others who have real issues are no help. I am so glad you are having such a good ownership experience but your post is totally uncalled for. I would like to get a laser alignment so I should ride 700mi. to get it? Get real
    So let me see if I get this right. You'd rather take your to the dealer who didn't assemble it correctly and effed up the recall than ryde 1.5 hrs to a dealer who gets things right?? You'll take it back to the lousy dealer and put up with the problems because he's 20 min away?? Seriously?? And you want us to empathize with your problems? Really? Sounds to me like you love your whine and cheese.

My dealer is also 1.5 hrs away and I look at that ryde as a chance to get some "wind therapy."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frenchek View Post
    don't know if this is closer for you or not, mosites motorsports in Irwin, pa, about 2 miles from the Irwin exit of the turnpike. service mgr is eric, techs are good and certified. I have had nothing short of great service. when the recall was made on the heat issues he had mine in and fixed before I got the letter from brp !!
    Thanks, but it would be almost 3 hours to get there . . . I'll keep it in mind though.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Stuck with mine through the recall . . . but the difficulty getting any info out of them . . . and even contacting someone who would discuss the Spyder with me (you will have to speak the Spyder Service Department - which turned out to be one guy who scheduled, fixed, billed . . . did all things Spyder) I am switching to a dealership in Windber PA which I have heard good things about, for future work. It is a two hour ryde . . . but, hey! That's a two hour ryde in each direction . . . isn't that a good thing?
    Actually, you're in pretty good shape. Within 120 miles of you there are 4 Platinum and 5 Gold Certified dealers. In addition to Triumph of Windber, Motosports Cycle Shop of Hanover PA (83 mi), Don's Kawasaki Yamaha Sea-Doo Can-Am of Hellam PA (105 mi) and Trumbull Motorsports of Mechanicsville MD (115 mi) are also Platinum Certified dealers.

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Continue to talk up the good/great dealers! Tom Gebrecht's Whittier Fun Center in Whittier CA has provided absolutely first rate servicing of my 2010 RT. Bryce Lindsey, the service manager, knows you by name, has an excellent CanAm tech and has always met my scheduling and service needs. When I needed the water pump replaced, he got the parts ordered and in-about a week delay-then worked with me to work out a schedule. I dropped off "Scoot3r" in the evening before the scheduled work and Bryce called me by 3:00 the next afternoon that my RT was buttoned up, tested and ready to go. And it was. It's a 157 mile ride one way but so worth it!

Thanks kraut, they are only 20 miles from me. I've heard that del amo motorsports is not very good for service on can ams. also a couple of weeks ago went there to look at new spyders and was told. could not test drive any of them because i did not have a motorcycle lisense, but if i had cash in hand then he said i could test drive a spyder. In calif. we do not need a motorcycle lic. Thier prices are 4-6000 dollars higher them any other place within 100 miles from me.

again thank you very much
    ruth

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    So let me see if I get this right. You'd rather take your to the dealer who didn't assemble it correctly and effed up the recall than ryde 1.5 hrs to a dealer who gets things right?? You'll take it back to the lousy dealer and put up with the problems because he's 20 min away?? Seriously?? And you want us to empathize with your problems? Really? Sounds to me like you love your whine and cheese.

My dealer is also 1.5 hrs away and I look at that ryde as a chance to get some "wind therapy."
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    ...people who keep taking their to dealers who provide lousy service and then jump on Spyderlovers to complain about the service? A few of these folks may live in a part of the country where dealers are few and far between. But most of them live where there are numerous dealers within a 50-100 mile radius. Kinda remind me of a guy who keeps hitting his thumb with a hammer and blames the hammer.

Let me get this straight...... You created a thread complaining about other complainers ????????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 2 dealers one is about 30 miles west of me, and the other is about 30 miles east of me. They are both ok in the service area

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Bob...I don't know if its proper training, all though it would help...but there is one tech to do all the Can-am work and the other brands they carry....so you have to wait....then there are no parts in stock....the service guy is new every time you go in...they don't make appointments...just bring it in and in maybe 10+ days they can look at it..why not make appointments when you can look at the bike within 2 days....poor management....and they lie to you...treat us like we are stupid
    Char... That's just lousy service... run far, and run fast!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Could it "possibly" be that the older we get the grumpier we get???? Let's face it folks, the make up of spyder owners just aint in the same age group as the ones that we see in the BRP commercials.

As for the "service techs" I have an opinion. (doesn't everyone?) I have often thought that dealers who sell other "rides" other than spyders, i.e., Honda, Yamahammers, ATV's, ect. have some techs that aren't, how shall I say it, not all that enthused about working on a spyder viz a viz a wing, etc. They are just flat out not all that interested in our babies. Consequently, some of us are the bi product of "low man on the totum poll". Call it whatever you want, it is a reality. There are just some techs who cannot accept the existence of that 3 wheeled new fangled looking machine and don't take an interest.

JMT.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's my take-- I assure you, it's worth all the good money you're paying for it!

There is NO perfect dealer. Show me the best dealer in the country, and I'll find at least one person who visited on the wrong day.

Which means that for all of us, our interactions with dealers will be all over the map. Maybe we'll be the fortunate ones who always gets great service, even if no one else does. Maybe we'll be unlucky, and get screwed by the same dealer who makes everyone else happy. Outliers in either direction, unfortunately, don't tell us much in isolation.

I have a love/hate relationship with my local dealer, as those familiar with my threads may recall. Most of the time, they're perfectly acceptable. Some of the time, they're not. They've never been so bad as to force me to use another dealer; they've never been so good as to persuade me to never consider using another dealer. They're about as average as they come, sad to say, but guess what? MOST dealers are just that, by definition: average. (Thank you, George Carlin! ).

I would love it if another local D.C. dealer started selling Spyders. LOVE it. The problem is, I don't want the *current* dealer to STOP selling Spyders, either. I admit, it may sound a bit like battered spouse syndrome, but at the end of the day, when my Spyder is the only vehicle I own, having an average dealer conveniently a few miles down the road is better than having the perfect dealer hours away.

YMMV... safe riding, folks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I like to tell the Missus;
    "You want to complain; call your girlfriends and gripe to them about how horrible things are."
    "You want solutions? Let's talk!"
    Some folks just aren't interested in solutions...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default well said

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Here's my take-- I assure you, it's worth all the good money you're paying for it!

There is NO perfect dealer. Show me the best dealer in the country, and I'll find at least one person who visited on the wrong day.

Which means that for all of us, our interactions with dealers will be all over the map. Maybe we'll be the fortunate ones who always gets great service, even if no one else does. Maybe we'll be unlucky, and get screwed by the same dealer who makes everyone else happy. Outliers in either direction, unfortunately, don't tell us much in isolation.

I have a love/hate relationship with my local dealer, as those familiar with my threads may recall. Most of the time, they're perfectly acceptable. Some of the time, they're not. They've never been so bad as to force me to use another dealer; they've never been so good as to persuade me to never consider using another dealer. They're about as average as they come, sad to say, but guess what? MOST dealers are just that, by definition: average. (Thank you, George Carlin! ).

I would love it if another local D.C. dealer started selling Spyders. LOVE it. The problem is, I don't want the *current* dealer to STOP selling Spyders, either. I admit, it may sound a bit like battered spouse syndrome, but at the end of the day, when my Spyder is the only vehicle I own, having an average dealer conveniently a few miles down the road is better than having the perfect dealer hours away.

YMMV... safe riding, folks
    i think what you said is so true. i may moan and groan but my dealer treats me fair, his problem is that he can't get parts from BRP and he doesn't have a big spyder base so he doesn't stock parts. he does charge a arm and leg for his work but he get's the work done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Let me get this straight...... You created a thread complaining about other complainers ????????
    Amen Brother Amen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this considered, "Irony"?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is this considered, "Irony"?
    I believe it is call hypocrisy Coming from someone who has Pitbull as a dealer too( that he complained about)

Damned Vibrations

Prior to my 600 mile service, which was done at 873 miles, the only time I felt any vibrations on my floorboards was around 5,000 RPM. Once I got to 5500 it was gone and everything was smooth as silk up to 8500. The first thing I noticed after the 600 mile service was increased vibration in the 4500 - 5500 range. Since that time, the vibrations have gotten worse, to the point that they are there between 4000 - 8500 RPM. There does seem to be a second contributor in the 4500 - 5500 range (belt harmonics?). Additionally, since the 600 mile service, when the is going up hill or accelerating, the vibrations are noticeable in the handlebars and grips as well.

Thinking that the dealer may have set the belt tension to the pre-2013 value of 450 N rather than the 1050 N value for the 2013s, I purchased and installed a Baker Built belt stabilizer. It didn't help in the least. I also noticed that there is an annoying buzzing sound that wasn't there before and which increases in frequency as the engine RPMs increase.

I bought a Krikit II gauge and checked the belt tension according to the manual. I repeatedly got readings of 160-170 lbs. I realize the Krikit is not designed for our belts, but can anyone tell me value you should be getting with a Krikit on properly tensioned 2013 belts?

I'm hoping Scotty or Lamont or one of the other more knowledgeable folks can give me an idea of what's going on. I will be calling Pit Bull on Tuesday and setting up an appointment to have this looked at.
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.