Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Bones

Spyder Garage

Default Broken Bones

I started a thread yesterday of a picture joke, "The Wheels of Life". Bob D. brought up the point that there were a lot of wheels missing and that he broke bones on many of them.

That gave me the idea for this thread.

What bones have you broke, and what daredevil (read stupid) type of thing were you doing to cause the break.

I have only broken one bone (should have been more), my left arm. It happened on the school playground on a thing called a Giant Stride (picture below, the one I was on had six chains). We discovered that if a person took their chain and wrapped it around everyone else's and went back to your original spot, you could get a lot of lift and speed. Needless to say, I didn't last long. My hands were a little greasy from eating chips and I couldn't hold my grip. Off I came and the rest is history. The worst part of that wasn't the broken arm, it was that we could no longer use the Giant Stride in that manner. I was not a popular guy for a while.

image.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add, this might take Bob D. and Some Guy a while to complete.
    Last edited by mxz600; 10-04-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Default bones

back in the late 90's i went up to my house upstate to spend the night and mow the lawn the next morning, when i walked out of the house i slipped on the grass and went down, at that point i broke my right ankle also dislocated it and turned it 180 degrees, now with all the construction work i did i never broke a bone working but back in 08 i had a 10 mph accident on my triumph rocket lll and than i broke 4 ribs on my left side and my left scapular on my shoulder.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right elbow
    BOTH wrists...
    right ankle
    left ankle
    left leg
    left foot...twice!
    A couple of toes over the years...
    ...and a nose!

Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-04-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Right elbow
    BOTH wrists...
    right ankle
    left ankle
    left leg
    left foot...twice!

A Walking disaster if i ever seen one. Bob, sit down before you break something else.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Right elbow
    BOTH wrists...
    right ankle
    left ankle
    left leg
    left foot...twice!

i ain't hanging with you anymore! i broke an ankle once playing rugby when i used to be young and stupid. tough thing aboout it was, it was after the game, when we were all drinking and screwing around!!

Spyder Garage

Default bob

Right elbow
    BOTH wrists...
    right ankle
    left ankle
    left leg
    left foot...twice!

bob sounds like your a accident looking for a place
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About a thousand years from now; they're gonna dig up what's left of me and wonder what bulldozer ran over me?
    All just nicks; nothing ever serious came from any of them!
    (Although breaking both wrists at a Wildwood, NY Skateboard park in a 16' fall, and then having to drive back to Trenton on my own was a bit...tense! )
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-04-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometime in the 70's, Trying to jump over a falling tree across a trail.
    I was on my arctic cat 440, Made the jump but my foot slipped off the running board went into the belt/track and around the boggey wheel.... Ouch! Broke the ankle and smashed what didn't brake...

70's Again, Riding my Mountain bike, Going up a hill i gave a good push on the pedal and ''Crack'' broke a bone in the foot...

Sometime in the 80's, Dropped my Cb750, Coming out of the Lincoln tunnel[the cork screw] Broke my left elbow..

Thats all, I did things and were in a lot of spots that should have killed me, [Especially 65/66/67.] So only 3 is good....

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

Bob your right up there with Evil Kenevil....I have never broken a bone but have picked up a stitch or two..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally something up my alley

I got this one....

I have a genetic bone disorder (Osteogenesis imperfecta) and have had more than 200 broken bones (often the same bone multiple times) over the course of my 44 years.

Tibia, Fibula, Femur, Radius, Ulna, Humerus, multiple ribs, toes and fingers. I can't even count the femur breaks I have had.

I was born with 17 broken bones that doctors didn't diagnose until I was 6 weeks old.
    I understand a history of horror stories of the authorities stepping in and accusing my parents of child abuse and attempting to remove me from my parents' home. My parents were told that I would not survive past 5 years of age. I was never able to play contact sports as a child, skateboarding was a very bad idea. I remember spending summer vacations in a cast treating a broken bone, or healing after a surgery to set a break. I was on a first name basis with the ortho techs at San Diego Children's hospital as well as two other local hospitals here in town. I was invited to the X-ray tech's retirement party at my Doctor's medical group. I am sure that my parent's insurance company paid for multiple fishing trips to New Zealand taken by my orthopedic surgeon.

At the age of 16, I got a moped, then then a succession of scooters. Right before my 18th birthday, I was doing donuts on my scooter on the front lawn I lost control and wedged the bike under the family car breaking my leg. After that episode I decided that motorcycles where a bad idea for me. I currently have a titanium rod in my femur secured with 4 screws, replaced after 2 different stainless steel ones bent.

21 years later while waiting for the traffic light to change and a Yellow 2008 Spyder went thru the intersection and I had to ryde one. I know right then I had to OWN one.
    I now have 68,000 miles on my Spyder, and can't even think about not ryding.

It took 21 years to get me back on the road and in the wind.... I am so grateful for my Spyder (HELLON3), I am now VERY good friends with the owner of that very first Spyder I ever saw. I count my fellow Spyder owners as my Spyder family, some even closer than my blood relations.

I guess now, I am making up for 21 years of not ryding....Let's ryde!

-George
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

This thread has me written all over it. However I think if I tell you all what I have broken it will start the chain all over again. Ill just say that I have broke a lot of bones. Mostly from riding 3 & 4 wheelers.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're supposed to learn from all of our mistakes.
    I guess that makes us geniuses!!

Spyder Garage

Happy to say that so far, I have broken no bones. Never been involved in a MC crash either. Knock wood.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

We're supposed to learn from all of our mistakes.
    I guess that makes us geniuses!!
    Na, Fool's learn from their mistakes..... Wise men ''learn'' from fools mistakes.....

Spyder Garage

I'm no Pincushion, but I've had my share...especially this year!!!

broke 5 ribs (car accident many years ago)

broke left foot (stepped awkwardly onto a curb)
    broke right foot (trying to not step on a puppy that was trying his hardest to trip me!)

broke right wrist (power washing the house!!!)
    broke 2 ribs and 1 finger at SpyderFest this year! (fell into a bath tub)
    broke left wrist badly this year July 4th weekend - just fell down...no alcohol was involved!
    Had to have surgery and lost 6 weeks of prime weather Sypdering. Once I got the cast off and had a splint instead, I was able to ride the Number 2, but not Number 1 (due to the clutching). I can ride Number 1 again now, but it hurts after a while.
    I'm still in PT with this wrist...still in lots of pain, but range-of-motion is getting better.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Default Here's just...

... one of my many. I called it my "Yamaha Knee".

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

After reading this thread I didn't know if I was supposed to tell the tale of my episode or bash Bob D for being a clumsy klutz.

So after some careful thought I decided to confess my episode........

At a younger age (when I was 57 yr old) I was hot rodding around on my ATV on our back 40 and at a very high rate of speed when my ATV suddenly stopped. I didn't. I hit a tree stump hidden in the tall grass and went over the handle bars. On the way I caught my mid section on the brake cylinder. It left a huge black & blue doughnut shape around my belly button for a month. That was the good thing. When I landed I apparently put my hands out to lessen the impact (I don't remember). I landed hard on my left hand and shattered my wrist joint into "too many pieces to count". St! Two surgeries and a couple steel pins later all was OK again. Did I mention I wasn't wearing a helmet?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a Klutz...
    I'm a Klutz!!

It just goes to show...
    No sense; no feeling!

Spyder Garage

My nose has been broken more than once, and I've lost a couple teeth . . . but none of it was bike related . . . each occurrence was in a fine establishment where various alcoholic drinks were served . . . hey . . . don't be getting the wrong idea . . . I worked there as a bouncer!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When the World turns to mud, and the zombies are getting hungry; I want you on my side!!

Spyder Garage

1964 wrist--wrestling in high school
    1968 pinky right hand--punching a guy
    1978 back--altercation attempting to arrest attempted murder suspect. (He ultimately got 35 years)
    1994 shoulder dislocated 3 cracked ribs--went down
    2009 right foot--fell off a pebble
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Broke an arm when I tripped over a dog that playfully ran between my legs. The new young doc that set it later became my wife's gynecologist.

Broke my finger fighting with my brother over a basketball. (Don't throw a left when he is throwing a right.) Then sat down with my brother for the next twenty minutes to get our stories straight so Mom wouldn't yell at us before she took me to the ER.

Broke two fingers when smashed between the school door handles, when I was opening the door for a girl I wanted to impress. I don't think the cuss words impressed her, but the assistant principle sure took notice.

Broke my tailbone trying to ride sitting on a skateboard. Broke it again when sledding, when the moms in the Cub Scout troop dared me to go down a killer hill during a Cub Scout outing. I am a sucker for a pretty face.

Broke three ribs while kick starting a Honda 305 Scrambler. How you can break ribs starting a bike you can kick over with your bare hand, I'll never know.

Nancy had her ribs separated from her sternum when our son kicked too hard while she was pregnant. She has forgiven him, but thinks of him whenever they slide out of place.

She also shattered her right tibia into 14 pieces lengthwise, through the tibial plateau. Indirectly my fault, and no laughing matter. She has had five surgeries on that one.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-04-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Broken left little finger caught in blast door.
    Broken tib/fib left leg 4 places, cracked tib right leg during hurricane cleanup. Titanium rod and screws.
    Severely pulled/torn ligaments right knee, rear motorcycle tire hit rut, put foot down and snapped leg back. Drove 1800 miles cross country next day. As Spock would say "the pain"
    Cracked bruised ribs, cracked, bruised bloody nose, thrown from horse.
    Severely bruised right ankle, torn ligaments, bad parachute landing.
    Concussion, 18 stitches in head and 10 in chin. Hit with steel pipe.
    Pinned in roof collapse while fighting house fire, bruised back, coccyx from SCBA pack.
    Dislocated shoulder, fell from fuselage of F4D in Viet Nam.
    Last edited by bruiser; 10-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Broken left little finger caught in blast door.
    Broken tib/fib left leg 4 places, cracked tib right leg during hurricane cleanup. Titanium rod and screws.
    Severely pulled/torn ligaments right knee, rear motorcycle tire hit rut, put foot down and snapped leg back. Drove 1800 miles cross country next day. As Spock would say "the pain"
    Cracked bruised ribs, cracked, bruised bloody nose, thrown from horse.
    Severely bruised right ankle, torn ligaments, bad parachute landing.
    Concussion, 18 stitches in head and 10 in chin. Hit with steel pipe.
    Pinned in roof collapse while fighting house fire, bruised back, coccyx from SCBA pack.
    Dislocated shoulder, fell from fuselage of F4D in Viet Nam.
    Perhaps you should change your handle from Bruiser to Bruised.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My last one was the absolute stupidest one. I had been to the range shooting and started cleaning my weapons, got a couple finished, and went and got a soft drink. I picked up one of my North American Arms .22 caliber revolvers, it hadn't been shot, but still needed to be cleaned. I was taking the cylinder pin out carefully pulling the hammer back to set the firing pin in the safety slot. I hadn't got to the set point when the hammer fell forward, the cartridge apparently had a light primer because it discharged and shot through my right index finger blowing diagonally through the first bone and exiting through the first knuckle. I drove myself to the emergency room with a towel held tight around my hand. My wife was holding pressure on my hand all the way.
    The cop in the ER, was quite curious as to how it all went down, but I was less than interested in him accomplishing his paperwork, than I was in trying to get my hand put back together again. Mine was the most unique gunshot I ever dealt with...........

Doc