Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No heat issues after removing splash pans on ST and RT

I know it hasn't been really hot this weekend down here at Panama City beach. But before I removed the splash pans the RT would roast your front lower regions.... Now it is as cool as any other bike I have owned. I never really had an issue with the ST but I thought I would mention it being super cool also. I am amazed how much difference those splash pans made.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    I know it hasn't been really hot this weekend down here at Panama City beach. But before I removed the splash pans the RT would roast your front lower regions.... Now it is as cool as any other bike I have owned. I never really had an issue with the ST but I thought I would mention it being super cool also. I am amazed how much difference those splash pans made.
    I might just try that this weekend on my GS. Is it a hard project?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ever wonder what would happen if car companies decided to cover up the entire bottom of the car with splash pans? Wonder why this doesn't seem strange to some in the design room! Hmmmm...let's see...heat rises, so we want to make sure to seal everything up good and tight up above and to make sure it stays there, we need to cut off all ventilation sources....yeah, that's a great idea. Even my oven has vents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default pans

i had removed the splash pans on my rt and there was really no difference, the left side did open to the engine compartment but the right side had another cover under it and i didn't want to cut a hole in that so i replaced the pans, however i did buy the adjustable side vents and have them turned toward me and they seem to make the under seat heat a lil better

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On the 2013 RT the right side splash pan keeps road spray off of at least one plug type electrical connector. If you remove the right side splash pan, you should consider a shield for that connector. See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...in-Heat-Issues!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

thanks..!! They are not that hard to remove but if don't want to remove them you can drill some holes in them which also will help. Do suggest you remove them first and re install after you drill the holes...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I removed my right side splash pan on my 09 gs. Also removed the half cup piece that points the air out the side panel. Did anyone else remove that also? The electrical connector that is below the fan, I wrapped in electrical tape to help protect it. Still having thoughts of ordering the fan can though. Any suggestions?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KEBIE View Post
    I removed my right side splash pan on my 09 gs. Also removed the half cup piece that points the air out the side panel. Did anyone else remove that also? The electrical connector that is below the fan, I wrapped in electrical tape to help protect it. Still having thoughts of ordering the fan can though. Any suggestions?
    Fan can did a wonderful job of redirecting the heat away from my right foot on my '09.

In fact, I still have the fan can taking up space in the garage...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Ever wonder what would happen if car companies decided to cover up the entire bottom of the car with splash pans? Wonder why this doesn't seem strange to some in the design room! Hmmmm...let's see...heat rises, so we want to make sure to seal everything up good and tight up above and to make sure it stays there, we need to cut off all ventilation sources....yeah, that's a great idea. Even my oven has vents
    The whole bottom of my wife's new (2013) Honda CR-V has the bottom covered. Except around the exhaust.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Fan can did a wonderful job of redirecting the heat away from my right foot on my '09.

In fact, I still have the fan can taking up space in the garage...
    I sent you a pm