Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Light Smoke vs. Dark Smoke Face Shield?

Can anyone comment on whether the light smoke face shields are sufficient for riding in bright sunlight (i.e. midday or evening while riding into the setting sun) or do I need a dark smoke shield for that? I'm looking to purchase a tinted face shield for my full face helmet, so that I can ride in the sun without needing a pair of sunglasses.

The other question I have is whether I can ride after dark with a light and/or dark smoke shield? I'd really prefer to be able to ride with 1 face shield during the day and after dark, but I don't know if that's possible.

Any insights you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Fuelly: 35.2avg MPG
    2020 Spyder RT Limited (Petrol Metallic w/Chrome)
    1. Lamonster Mount 2.0 with Dual Power Plates
    2020 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KeithInAurora View Post
    Can anyone comment on whether the light smoke face shields are sufficient for riding in bright sunlight (i.e. midday or evening while riding into the setting sun) or do I need a dark smoke shield for that? I'm looking to purchase a tinted face shield for my full face helmet, so that I can ride in the sun without needing a pair of sunglasses.

The other question I have is whether I can ride after dark with a light and/or dark smoke shield? I'd really prefer to be able to ride with 1 face shield during the day and after dark, but I don't know if that's possible.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Here is my 2 cents.

The light smoke shield doesn't do much for sun light. You can get by with it at night but a clear is really the way to go there.

The dark smoke is great in bright sun but can be a pain if you're going from sun to deep shade or you ride into an unlighted tunnel (been there done that! )

My recommendation is to get a mirrored shield. They cost more and you have to be a bit careful with them but they are worlds better than any smoked shield. They give you a brighter, clearer view, you can ride them in much lower light situations than a dark smoke, they cut glare better than a smoke shield. You still need a clear for night time.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you're contemplating a new helmet purchase, a flip down visor is pretty handy too. Mine has a switch on the left side and pops up or down with a flick. I sometimes leave the clear one up and use the tinted one only. Keeps the bugs off and the air flowing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How about one of the new helmets with the clear shield and the drop-down dark smoke sun visor? Like the Nolan N43 Trilogy or Nolan N44? That way you've got the best of both worlds without having to change anything when the lighting changes.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

many helmets are now going for the drop down visor because of the changes from day to night/dark. I use sun glasses and a clear shield. Want to see the best I can in both instances and the glasses are easy to remove and pocket even while ryding. When I need a new helmet I will be getting one with the drop down visor. Then there is the rear view video cam helmet..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default smoked shield

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Here is my 2 cents.

The light smoke shield doesn't do much for sun light. You can get by with it at night but a clear is really the way to go there.

The dark smoke is great in bright sun but can be a pain if you're going from sun to deep shade or you ride into an unlighted tunnel (been there done that! )

My recommendation is to get a mirrored shield. They cost more and you have to be a bit careful with them but they are worlds better than any smoked shield. They give you a brighter, clearer view, you can ride them in much lower light situations than a dark smoke, they cut glare better than a smoke shield. You still need a clear for night time.

ONE UP
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=KeithInAurora;698178]Can anyone comment on whether the light smoke face shields are sufficient for riding in bright sunlight (i.e. midday or evening while riding into the setting sun) or do I need a dark smoke shield for that? I'm looking to purchase a tinted face shield for my full face helmet, so that I can ride in the sun without needing a pair of sunglasses.

Thanks,
    Keith
    the light smoke is almost useless. There are times ryding west into the sun that even the dark smoke isn't dark enough. You would be better off with a clear shield and the sun glasses.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use a dark smoke shield and it is sufficient for anything except riding directly into a low morning or evening sun. I have a darker strip across the top of the shield which works until the sun is right above the horizon, then nothing works. It is too dark for night riding. I either change to a clear shield or leave the shield open (not recommended but I very seldom ride after dark because the deer are just too bad). Cotton

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion helmet with the drop down inner shield in light smoke but many options are available with this brand .
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    How about one of the new helmets with the clear shield and the drop-down dark smoke sun visor? Like the Nolan N43 Trilogy or Nolan N44? That way you've got the best of both worlds without having to change anything when the lighting changes.
    I have a Nolan N104, it has a drop down shield I believe w a light smoke shield. I'm looking to change the drop down to a darker smoke or mirrored because I have to use sun glasses in the late afternoon w the factory smoked drop down lens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dark smoked shields are about as useless at night; as clear shields are in bright sunlight.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've ridden with clear shields and sunglasses for 30 years.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    I've ridden with clear shields and sunglasses for 30 years.
    Same here, But as my eyes get older i have to get darker sunglasses every year or so..

Spyder Garage

I ride my Spyder 55 miles into Cedar Rapids where I work when the weather is nice. The trip to work is mostly riding into the rising sun and the trip back home is riding into the setting sun. I use a clear shield and sun glasses. The glare can get a bit bright but it's not that bad. The ride in this morning was so nice I didn't even care about the sun in my eyes.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do the drop down visors come down to teh bridge of your nose. If they don't come that far down then they wouldn't work for me. The glare coming under tehm would get to me. I mostly use a Clear shield with sunGlasses in the winter because it is dark when I leave teh house in the morning. I have been using a dark smoke shield in the summer here because we have so much sunlight but I may try a mirror next year thanks to these recommendations.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Once again the answer really is "it is up to the buyer." I use two helmets, summer with a dark smoke adjustable shield, winter with a clear outer shield and a internal dark drop down shield....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    Do the drop down visors come down to teh bridge of your nose. If they don't come that far down then they wouldn't work for me. The glare coming under tehm would get to me. I mostly use a Clear shield with sunGlasses in the winter because it is dark when I leave teh house in the morning. I have been using a dark smoke shield in the summer here because we have so much sunlight but I may try a mirror next year thanks to these recommendations.
    My drop down has a couple of positions so I can keep it off my nose easy...

I am more of a light averse cave-dweller... I use a combo of the clear, drop-down and sunglasses depending on the lighting conditions. On really bright days, even the combo of sunglasses and drop-down doesn't cut it and I really wish for a visor...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all your comments. I wasn't looking to get a new helmet, but I think that might be the best route if I get a good one with the inner sun shield. In the interim, sunglasses it is......
    Fuelly: 35.2avg MPG
    2020 Spyder RT Limited (Petrol Metallic w/Chrome)
    1. Lamonster Mount 2.0 with Dual Power Plates
    2020 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

I think it's Bell that offers a shield that is basically a Transition lens for glasses. In the light, they tint and at night they are clear. If they made a 3XL helmet that fit my head, I'd gladly plunk down the money for that shield. I wish everyone would offer one---looking at you HJC!!!

Spyder Garage

I have a scorpion EXO 900 modular it has a dark flip down sun visor inside the helmet along with a clear flip down face best of both. Also is dot and ECE CERTIFIED. Both inner sun visor and outer flip face is removable and can be swapped for darker or lighter shades

Spyder Garage

I have four different helmets and a slightly different setup on each. I like the light stuff for the shields, (lt. smoke, lt. yellow, lt. blue, lt. grey). All are Nolans, so they also have the drop down visor inside. A combo of the two usually makes it okay for those bright sunny days. The lighter outer shield is sufficient for when it gets shady. I do not have to contend with night time riding as the sun does not set in the summer. By late Sept. when it is dark after 7:00PM-- its a little on the chilly side to ride--so I don't.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I found on long trips and my full face with a clear shield, I protected my eyes with sunglasses, but my nose and cheeks would sunburn under that clear "magnifying glass" shield.

So, I opted for a dark smoke shield. Why? 90% of my riding is in day time and I primarily use the full face on longer rides. For the 10% of time I ride in the dark, I just flip up the shield an use clear safety glasses to keep bugs out of my eyes. Plus I am behind a big ol windshield that catches most bugs anyway. ConnieMac doesn't mind the dark shield at night. She never drives and is most likely asleep anyway!

Then, for short runs around town and the five minutes to work, I just use a half helmet and sunglasses.

Works for me.

Spyder Garage

I ride with a Bell Revolver and am seriously considering the photochromic face shield. The drop down shade is okay, it could be darker and it could come down just a bit more but it works except for the really low angle setting or rising sun. As I understand it the transition effect is a coating, I wonder if a local optical shop could get a face shield coated. Might be something to look into.

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lazer Lid may help some.....

A while back I reported on my new Lazer Monaco Pure Carbon 'flip-up' helmet.
    It has a face shield (visor) with a very nice photochromic action. It
    will get really dark in around thirty seconds and although if you suddenly
    drive into deep shade or a tunnel you can quickly raise the shield a bit
    and all is OK.
    In the UK it's a major slap on the wrist getting caught by the police riding at night
    with a tinted shield and they can give you an on-the-spot fine so you have to either
    carefully plan your journey or carry a clear shield as well.
    The Lazer's shield has meant that I can ride without sunglasses for the first time in
    quite a few years and just wear my normal spectacles.
    Of course another solution for spectacle wearers would be to have spectacles with
    photochromic lenses.

Spyder Garage

I have a Bell Vortex with the Photochromic shield. It's pretty good in bright sun and I like the fact that it is clear at night, keeps the bugs off me, those rhinoceros beetles really hurt at 55 mph...