Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trip planning software....

Does anyone know of road trip planning software that will automatically plan a rest stop every so many miles?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Microsoft Streets and Trips will do it based on time or do it based on gas mileage. The Harley Davidson online Trip Planner also plans fuel stops, but I don't remember the method it used.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

google maps gives you the route and you can pick your stops. Figure you can get 120 miles till you need gas. Triple A can route you as well. They also have great tour guides. Not sure what you really need. Good luck and have a great trip..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Your GPS software has a great program for that. I've actually used it for a trip to Arizona and it was quite helpful. That is if you have the Garmen GPS.

Spyder Garage

That's only for those who use windows, anyone on a Mac needs to go to the Harley mapping system. While Streets & Trips is really good, it's not worth running windows to get it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

What about for the IPhone 5?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't input "fun" to an application; I prefer the "organic approach" to an adventure!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Street Atlas USA by DeLorme. I've used it for years. I'm about 3 years behind on updates but it still does a good job. If you want back roads etc you can tell it you're bicycling or walking and it avoids the slabs.

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

I solved my problem by using Google maps. I hate to do this because now the NSA knows where I plan to stop for gas on my trip this week. BUT Google has a nice way to drag and drop points along your trip, then tells you how many miles from one point to the next. The only downside is that I had to use my desktop. The drag and drop would't work on my iPad.

It would be nice if some trip planning software would say: here is the route. And then let me put in some parsmeters for gas stops...like "I gotta stop ever 120 miles for gas." Then it would pick gas stations no further apart than 120 miles, and plot those on the map. The HD software came close to this, but it made me choose between riding from the West coast to the East coast, or vice-versa. Since, I want to go someplace else, this wouldn't work for me. Google maps came the closest, but planning gas stops was not automatic.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The NSA isn't looking for you; the government is at least partiallly shut down...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
    Street Atlas USA by DeLorme. I've used it for years. I'm about 3 years behind on updates but it still does a good job. If you want back roads etc you can tell it you're bicycling or walking and it avoids the slabs.

Ride and ride safe,
    I loved this program, and used it quite a bit, but I can't put the data into my GPS, and it's really hard to mount the laptop in the

There's a program out there called Tyre, that I have used to plan trips, and also Garmin BaseCamp. I'm not sure if they will figure in fuel stops like Delorme used to do, but I don't think I could go by those on the Bike. We usually take the roads less travelled, and sometimes gas stops are dictated by the road, rather than the odometer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The NSA isn't looking for you; the government is at least partiallly shut down...
    oh good. (double entendre)
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    oh good. (double entendre)
    I just hope that they don't wake anybody up, and tell them to keep an eye on you...

Spyder Garage

I just hope that they don't wake anybody up, and tell them to keep an eye on you...
    ME TOO!!!!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

On UK News they said the Grand Canyon would be closed. Does it have a door?

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

I use Tyre maps for trip planning. It is compatible with TomTom and Garmin. You can set waypoints directly on the map. It is free for download at
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/. it allows you to measure distance between waypoints so you could set waypoints based on mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

Somebody in the area go look. I would bet a beer, the parking lot is still full.

i still use the which way medoth" at interesection, right or left according to what looks okay.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post

Ride and ride safe,
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I loved this program, and used it quite a bit, but I can't put the data into my GPS, and it's really hard to mount the laptop in the

There's a program out there called Tyre, that I have used to plan trips, and also Garmin BaseCamp. I'm not sure if they will figure in fuel stops like Delorme used to do, but I don't think I could go by those on the Bike. We usually take the roads less travelled, and sometimes gas stops are dictated by the road, rather than the odometer.
    I have both Delorme and Street Atlas and hate parts of Street Atlas and parts of DeLorme.

- Selecting a route is SOOOO much easier with DeLorme. Pick a start and stop and the route is calculated.
    - Insert stops anywhere you like and the route is recalculated immediately. Street makes you recalculate to see where the new via or stop changes the route and zooms all the way out.
    - To zoom in Delorme you can do a single level zoom or a window zoom. Streets makes you zoom a level at a time until you get down to the level you want. This alone takes so much more time than a window zoom.
    - DeLorme can handle almost unlimited routes on one map. This way you can break the trip up into several legs if needed. Street only handles one route at a time.
    - I think both will allow to enter fuel tank size and MPG to calculate gas stops.
    - Street generates the GPX file for the Garmin 660 GPS very easy. Delorme makes you save the track layer to the active drawlayer. The program provides the file name but the actual file is on yet another layer with another name.
    - Street puts a flag at every stop but also at every via you input. This can add up to a lot of flags. Delorme only has the start and stop flags. You have to remember where your stops are because there are no flags.
    - Both allow the route to be imported to the GPS as a custom route. I use this all the time and love it.
    - When using a custom route make sure to turn off "Automatic recalculations" otherwise if you miss the route due to a change in the road for example it will reroute you as the GPS sees fit.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

I solved my problem by using Google maps. I hate to do this because now the NSA knows where I plan to stop for gas on my trip this week. BUT Google has a nice way to drag and drop points along your trip, then tells you how many miles from one point to the next. The only downside is that I had to use my desktop. The drag and drop would't work on my iPad.

It would be nice if some trip planning software would say: here is the route. And then let me put in some parsmeters for gas stops...like "I gotta stop ever 120 miles for gas." Then it would pick gas stations no further apart than 120 miles, and plot those on the map. The HD software came close to this, but it made me choose between riding from the West coast to the East coast, or vice-versa. Since, I want to go someplace else, this wouldn't work for me. Google maps came the closest, but planning gas stops was not automatic.
    Microsoft Streets & Trips lets you put in your gas tank size and average fuel mileage under various conditions, as well how low you want the tank to be when you want to stop. The fuel warnings can be toggled on or off. It then includes "Stop for Fuel" warnings at the appropriate place in your route. If you use fruit to compute, it is not available, but it works well if you suffer with Windows.

As long as we are wishing for things in trip planning software (or GPS's), how about being able to put in a trip from say Chicago to Detroit, and then select a road, like US-12? I can't tell you how many times I have longed for that kind of feature.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    As long as we are wishing for things in trip planning software (or GPS's), how about being able to put in a trip from say Chicago to Detroit, and then select a road, like US-12? I can't tell you how many times I have longed for that kind of feature.
    Garmin's MapSource has a crude stab at this under Preferences which allows you to select your preferred road-type with a sliding scale, narrow country roads at one end of the scale and inter-state highways at the other. My biggest gripe is being taken off route onto a minor road, or track, in order to save a few yards in total distance traveled. Grrrr!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default I use one of those things called a printed map....

Yep spread it out on the table and look....have one of those fancy Garmin GPS...sure glad I got it....get to loan it to friends who think they need one to use on occasion.....stupid thing got me lost way to many times....now that paper map and my marker pen....gets me close and personal. Never run out of gas yet...and I realllllly like staying off the freeways....OK call me old fashion and cheap...but those AAA maps are free and plentiful....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Only the Garmin option works on a Mac. Otherwise the Harley "Road Planner" is the best option, if you don't need to up load to your Zumo…..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Microsoft Streets & Trips lets you put in your gas tank size and average fuel mileage under various conditions, as well how low you want the tank to be when you want to stop. The fuel warnings can be toggled on or off. It then includes "Stop for Fuel" warnings at the appropriate place in your route. If you use fruit to compute, it is not available, but it works well if you suffer with Windows.
    I have been using Streets&Trips for years too as it has very good quality maps and is easy to use, plus it does not require online access and can be used anywhere on a PC. They issue an updated version every year but you can usually buy the previous edition of the package on eBay really cheap...

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Yep spread it out on the table and look....have one of those fancy Garmin GPS...sure glad I got it....get to loan it to friends who think they need one to use on occasion.....stupid thing got me lost way to many times....now that paper map and my marker pen....gets me close and personal. Never run out of gas yet...and I realllllly like staying off the freeways....OK call me old fashion and cheap...but those AAA maps are free and plentiful....

What's a GPS?

Spyder Garage

I hate to do this because now the NSA knows where I plan to stop for gas on my trip this week.

They don't need Google Maps to do that. They have much better resources. Like tracking your cell phone location and your heat signature...