Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based on the video and news reports this is what I understand happened.

There had been over 200 police complaints about the bikers.

The bikers where traveling faster than the SUV and were passing it. The SUV was just stuck in the middle of the passing group.

The biker that got hit is shown having words with the driver, moved in front of the SUV and used the brakes to slow down (brake checking maybe?). There was so little room between the biker and SUV I doubt the driver could have seen the brake lights because of his hood height. This would explain why he was not able to stop before contact. This biker was charged with reckless driving.

The SUV did stop but was attacked by the bikers including denting the SUV with their helmets and slashing his tires (the tires did not go flat until he moved off the highway).

When the driver fled he ran over a biker breaking both legs and a number of other major injuries. This biker is in a medically induced coma right now. This biker looks to just have stopped when a fellow biker went down, wouldn't we all do that? I feel he was just as much a victim as the SUV driver.

Out of all the bikers only a few would have known what had happened and physically went after the SUV, most were just chasing the SUV but did not attack the driver. I think these bikers just got pumped up about a fellow rider being hit.

The driver got beat up bad but I worry about his daughter seeing this happen. This could leave scars for life.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    Based on the video and news reports this is what I understand happened.

There had been over 200 police complaints about the bikers.

The bikers where traveling faster than the SUV and were passing it. The SUV was just stuck in the middle of the passing group.

The biker that got hit is shown having words with the driver, moved in front of the SUV and used the brakes to slow down (brake checking maybe?). There was so little room between the biker and SUV I doubt the driver could have seen the brake lights because of his hood height. This would explain why he was not able to stop before contact. This biker was charged with reckless driving.

The SUV did stop but was attacked by the bikers including denting the SUV with their helmets and slashing his tires (the tires did not go flat until he moved off the highway).

When the driver fled he ran over a biker breaking both legs and a number of other major injuries. This biker is in a medically induced coma right now. This biker looks to just have stopped when a fellow biker went down, wouldn't we all do that? I feel he was just as much a victim as the SUV driver.

Out of all the bikers only a few would have known what had happened and physically went after the SUV, most were just chasing the SUV but did not attack the driver. I think these bikers just got pumped up about a fellow rider being hit.

The driver got beat up bad but I worry about his daughter seeing this happen. This could leave scars for life.
    That's a good summary of what happened. It's too bad the rider in front of the SUV was hurt so bad. But from the driver's viewpoint, during that stop, someone yanked his driver's door open. Then he drove forward, probably in fear of being hurt. There wasn't any clear path of escape except over the bikes in front of him, which he probably couldn't have seen because they fell so close to the front of his vehicle.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    That's a good summary of what happened. It's too bad the rider in front of the SUV was hurt so bad. But from the driver's viewpoint, during that stop, someone yanked his driver's door open. Then he drove forward, probably in fear of being hurt. There wasn't any clear path of escape except over the bikes in front of him, which he probably couldn't have seen because they fell so close to the front of his vehicle.
    The rider that got hurt was in the group that had stopped but stayed at his bike. Too bad he he was in the path of escape and got hit.
    I saw the door being opened. Most if not all cars lock the doors once you go over a set speed. Why was the door unlocked?

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most if not all cars lock the doors once you go over a set speed. Why was the door unlocked?
    You can program them to behave various ways. I'm seriously rethinking having mine auto lock again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

The rider that got hurt was in the group that had stopped but stayed at his bike. Too bad he he was in the path of escape and got hit.
    I saw the door being opened. Most if not all cars lock the doors once you go over a set speed. Why was the door unlocked?

Maybe he came to a stop and put it in park...auto unlock....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Kind of makes you feel as if you really saw this looking back at you...
    The Humoungus rules! Quite bit of back and forth about this incident on yahoo this AM. Sounds like there was more to the story than shown on the video. As the incident is still under investigation; it's pretty hard to tell who did what to who first. Apparently the SUV driver drove over at least one of the bikes and bikers when they blocked him in, then the bikers chased the SUV, and stopped it again; smashed out the window, dragged the driver out and beat his . Allegedly the biker that was driven over is seriously up (really?) and is a "would be rapper" who has a very lengthy (dare I say it) "rap" sheet. Like I said.................hard to tell what really happened in what order from stuff posted (including yahoo news stories) on the net. I'm a bit surprised at some of the reactions (here and on yahoo) to this story. "If they were driving around and close to me, and looked at me (and my family), I'd shoot them". Or, panicky, squishy, sheep like words to that effect. Really!? The bikers on their sub 500 lb motorcycles drove close to, and looked at you in your 4000+ lb SUV, so your first reaction is deadly force?? That would make you different from those Black Water dudes in Nisour square how? Remain calm, lock your doors, don't hit anyone (as near as I can tell from the jumbled yahoo account; the SUV and bikers were stopped when the SUV drove over the biker/bike that precipitated the subsequent chase, second stop, and beating), call 911. Did I mention remain calm? Sheesh! If they actually threatened, or used deadly force against you and your family.....................that's be the time to unleash the SUV (ONLY on the people threatening/using deadly force).
    Last edited by Flanker; 10-02-2013 at 10:15 AM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appeared that one of the bikes pulled over in front of the Rover; and brake-checked him a little bit!
    That put his bike down...
    They guy either pulls over, or is forced over (I don'd know....), and is mobbed...
    He panics, and runs over at least one of them in an attempt to flee the scene...
    Next; he gets caught, and takes a beating...

There's a lot of wroings in this one... I'm going to have to sit down and review those videos further to see if I can figure out what caused that first Brake-Check...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It appeared that one of the bikes pulled over in front of the Rover; and brake-checked him a little bit!
    That put his bike down...
    They guy either pulls over, or is forced over (I don'd know....), and is mobbed...
    He panics, and runs over at least one of them in an attempt to flee the scene...
    Next; he gets caught, and takes a beating...

There's a lot of wroings in this one... I'm going to have to sit down and review those videos further to see if I can figure out what caused that first Brake-Check...

From all that i read the Thugs on illegal (non-licensed and most likely non-insured) bikes appear to have been the instigators.
    Non-Licensed bikes are used in these runs so the police can't identify them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Looks like a good example of just who is going to protect you when they dont allow you to carry a gun!
    Guns not allowed in this area?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Guns not allowed in this area?
    Do you think this would have turned out any better with guns involved?

Check out posts 20 and 23.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are; until somebody complains about them...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    The idiot that hit the skids was trying to toy with the SUV. He was lucky he was in the state of NY, if he'd been in Montana, of Wyoming, one of them country boys might have emptied their six gun, and been reloading before he hit the ground. That was a planned incident to incite a driver. You don't "accidentally" hit the brakes then look back to see how close you can get. I have little problem with the driver taking evasive action, the bike rider was trying to create a rear end collision, which in most states is automatically the fault of the vehicle in the rear. I would find no fault with the SUV. Further, with that many bikes trying to catch him they would be in a sad state when a dozen or so were "nudged" off the road. Alas, the SUV will probably be charged with fleeing the scene of an injury accident. The guy on the bike clearly was baiting to SUV, which says much about the common sense he doesn't possess. I would never pull that kind of on my sidecar rig which may tip the scales up around 900-1,000 pounds, the stability of a sports bike in an impact like that would be crazy.

Doc
    and I'm glad its not me in the suv and God help me, but if I am I would have to ride off road. to try to avoid and find a safe police station. It's really hard to say what could have been done.
    This is a good lesson for all of us, What are we going to do if this happen to us?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default door locks

i always had a habit of never locking my doors but when i moved back in with mom to take care of her i programed my car to lock the doors, now i just got used to having it that way and i keep it set. now more and more people are driving with cameras in their cars to record their drives and i think it is a good idea, right now people have to views of what happened. one from the video and the one that we are speculating that happened. if the SUV had a camera in it the whole story would be on film
    i personally think the SUV driver could not be that stupid to start something with his kid and wife was in the car. when you get a crowd like this you will never know what is going to happen next, so best bet is to move over and let them pass. there has been two bikers arrested and one guy paralyzed from being run over but no charges were brought against the SUV driver. he was put into a spot where he rear ended one bike and was surrounded by a bunch of bikes because of that, and that is the reason he took off and ran over the biker that can't walk anymore.

it's a shame someone was hurt really bad but with someone else in my car or just me i would never try to explain to a mob why i rear ended the biker if he stopped in front of me, i would of most likely did the same as the SUV driver
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A locked door doesn't help much when they smash out the window.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I have to wonder what part the SUV driver had to do start with ?? Not that the bikers did right either. I have to wonder if he did not force his way into a stream of motorcycldes on the road and hit a motorcycle first. Their was a big ride going on.
    What would you do if a vehicle hit a friend of yours and kept going ???????
    I have been way to many scenes as a Law Enforcement person to go with only one side of the story
    Just a thought
    Read the true story of Hollister, CA, the bike riots
    Oldmanzues
    This is what I was thing as well. He may have gotten frustrated with all the bikes and decided he was sick of all these bikes clogging up the road. The bikers probably snapped after seeing one of thier buddy's run over by the guy driving the SUV. I hope he did not do anything that stupid, especially with his wife and kid in the car.

Spyder Garage

I think that video was the result of something that had already happened prior. The bikers had already slowed down and then one stopped right in front of the Rover. I'm sure at some point we will hear for the rover driver. No matter what, its pretty hard to condone the actions the bikers took regardless of what the driver did. WTF were the police for this entire event. Bloomberg probably has them sitting outside fast food restaurants making sure people arent buying 16oz sodas.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Pringle View Post
    This is what I was thing as well. He may have gotten frustrated with all the bikes and decided he was sick of all these bikes clogging up the road. The bikers probably snapped after seeing one of thier buddy's run over by the guy driving the SUV. I hope he did not do anything that stupid, especially with his wife and kid in the car.
    After watching the posted video, I think the bikers were mostly at fault.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something off-camera prompted that initial brake-check...
    I'm not going to defend that mob; but there's a little bit more to this than we will ever see.

Spyder Garage

Something off-camera prompted that initial brake-check...
    I'm not going to defend that mob; but there's a little bit more to this than we will ever see.
    And no matter what that was, nobody was hurt until that brake-check occurred. That guy is responsible for all the damage and his friend being paralyzed. I'm sure egos had plenty to do with this.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If You LIsten To Fools...

Spyder Garage

We will probably never know what happened to who and when and why in this case. It will probably as long before the two/three wheel community lives this down. Two local, two nationial networks have post the smashing scences and nothing else.
    Now somebody has posted another vid of a car being chased by bikers violating the law. More mud to sling at us. Why????????????
    Yes, I was ranting on the other thread and this one. I have been though being refused service at a resturant or motel. because I rode a motorcyle.
    There is a old saying, one ah Sh** wipes out 100 atta boys. This is a ah SH**
    End of this rant.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

The video was shown and discussed on NBC news this evening. They did not have anything good to say about bikers in general. Our favorite newscaster stated that there are gangs all over the US similar to the bunch as shown in the video. They also showed additional crotch rocket riders doing the proverbial wheelies going down the highway.

I did see a pack of four doing wheelies and traveling at least 20 mph faster than the flow of traffic (about 70 mph) here on the Glenn Highway just a week or so ago.

The incident certainly did not do anything good in portraying those who enjoy the sport of motorcycling. I have not had any personal fallout yet. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The video was shown and discussed on NBC news this evening. They did not have anything good to say about bikers in general. Our favorite newscaster stated that there are gangs all over the US similar to the bunch as shown in the video. They also showed additional crotch rocket riders doing the proverbial wheelies going down the highway.

I did see a pack of four doing wheelies and traveling at least 20 mph faster than the flow of traffic (about 70 mph) here on the Glenn Highway just a week or so ago.

The incident certainly did not do anything good in portraying those who enjoy the sport of motorcycling. I have not had any personal fallout yet. Time will tell.
    I'm glad that I am an old fart on a reverse trike, not a squid on a sport bike.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have now been reports that the moron who did the brake-check in front of the Rover has been charged...