Thread: oil overfill

Spyder Garage

Default oil overfill

My dealer overfilled my oil by apx 3/8 - 1/2 inch above the fill mark when hot. I noticed a puddle of oil appear under the bike after a ride. My question is where did the oil come from? The dealer was unable to determine the source of the oil overflow.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like what I was asking earlier. Mine has never dripped on the garage floor but there was some on the bottom panel and a few drops on the bottom of the engine case. Most members thought it was blow by that went into the airbox and then dripped out the weep hole on the bottom of the airbox. There is a vent on the engine that goes into the airbox, when oil blows by it ends up in the airbox. There is a mod on the DIY section that should eliminate this issue.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

It is difficult to get a good reading one your oil level. Read you manual and do it exactly like it says. At least that will be consistent. If your oil is actually overfilled it most likely will blow up intot he air cleaner and then drip down and making you think you have oil leaks every where. And they will continue for some time after you clean the air box.

I run my bike one half quart low. And I have a piece of foam in the crankcase vent. And I clean the air box on each oil change. And then I ignore whatever oil leaks I find. Well not really on that last bit but it would have to be a significant and repeating oil leak before I would worry about it.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Level Check

I truly seem to have a problem reading the oil level. I had the oil changed about 2000 miles ago. Have checked it before any long rydes. Checked repeatedly on Friday. I got no reading on the dip stick so I added more oil, and what I thought was a lot. I could see oil on the stick up above the max fill line but none at all below that. Do these things burn a lot of oil? How often, if ever do you add oil? Just don't want to damage the engine. Any tips on getting good readings would be helpful. I park on a level surface, check when the engine is at operating temp and run the engine for 30 seconds before checking.

Thanks in advance.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Yeah it is hard to get a reading. Follow your owners manual to a letter.

My 2008 with 21,000 miles does not use much oil. Since I run it a half quart low I generally have to add some halfway through a 5,000 mile oil change cycle. So one half quart every 5,000 miles

If you run it full, it will blow up into the air box, drip out and I suppose you will eventually have to add more so that it too can take the same journey.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I truly seem to have a problem reading the oil level. I had the oil changed about 2000 miles ago. Have checked it before any long rydes. Checked repeatedly on Friday. I got no reading on the dip stick so I added more oil, and what I thought was a lot. I could see oil on the stick up above the max fill line but none at all below that. Do these things burn a lot of oil? How often, if ever do you add oil? Just don't want to damage the engine. Any tips on getting good readings would be helpful. I park on a level surface, check when the engine is at operating temp and run the engine for 30 seconds before checking.

Thanks in advance.
    Don't check your oil before a ride, do it after. My routine goes as follows: About once a week after I come home from a ride. I park in the garage like normal and turn off the key. Do my normal after ride routine take off helmet etc. etc. Get a clean grease rag. Start up and let engine run for 30 seconds. While it's idling take off the access panel. Turn key off and let sit for 10 seconds to let foam dissipate. Remove dipstick and clean off oil. Reinstall fully. Remove again and check oil level. If you are the type that likes to keep it full, keep adding small amounts of oil until it's full. But if you are like me wait until it goes below the add line and add a 1/2 quart. If you are checking the oil when not fully heated up, it can give you a false low reading. If the o-ring keeps coming off the dipstick, take it off and flip it over. (I don't know why this works). Don't worry about oil blowing up in the air box. BRP appears to have fixed that on newer years like yours.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I do check it typically after a ryde. Example Friday GF came home from work (she rode to work) and after she went through the after ryde routine we checked the oil level. I guess what I should have said is that I check after a ryde before a longer ryde.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.