Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Temperature will have a significant effect on fuel economy on these bikes. When its pretty hot out, in the 90s the exhaust heat on the fuel tank causes significant evaporation, some are going so far as boiling the fuel, when that happens, your fuel is going out the sky, not in the engine.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    a leaner engine will get better mpg...but at what cost when the plugs are white
    That is true to a point, but an overly lean engine can get worse mileage, because the power is down so much that the throttle has to be opened much farther just to make the vehicle move. Been there, and it isn't fun!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 30 mpg average...

Although I average 30 mpg on my 2013 ST-L using 93 octane, I will only get 25 mpg when driving it like a sport bike. As others have said, the Spyder is not known for its economy. I could get 35 mpg by really babying the throttle...but I bought a SPORT TOURING bike for a reason. I want to drive it like a sport bike when im not 2-up, and am willing to sacrifice economy to do so. I'll buy a Prius when the need for economy surpasses my need for fun...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; an argument can be made for purchasing a BMW M3 to save on fuel...
    Several years ago; the boys at "Top Gear" decided to run a Prius and an M3 on a race track.
    The Prius had to run all that it was worth, while the M3 had to keep up with it...!
    Results:
    Prius: 16.7 mpg
    M3: 18.4 mpg
    so if you want to save fuel; buy an M3!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Worst I've got on my ST is 30, back and forth to work, suburban traffic, short distances.

Best was 36mpg @ a pretty constant 80mph in 99F weather heading to the owners event this May. When I got there, my MC cap was melted from the heat.

This weekend I did about 400 miles from 55 to 80mph @ 70F and the worst tank was 32mpg (at 80mph for more than half of it.)

I have no idea what's up with these things. At least nothing melted this time. My mileage has consistently been better than my GS.

Scotty pointed out an important detail tho. If you run "just lean enough" you get great mileage. But if you go too far, the power drops off so much your mileage suffers. If you run lean enough that you're heating your fuel significantly, you're robbing the fuel of it's stored energy density which in turn makes the motor run even more lean.

The ECM should compensate for this up until it reaches either it's programmed limit (someone told me it's +/- 25% from the base map) or until it reaches the limits of the injectors @ 100% pulse width.

I have the suspicion that whatever BRP comes up with to reduce temps will also reduce mileage in most cases.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

13 ST-S 1st couple tanks sucked, but since 30 to 33 mpg 4400 miles heading to Mobile for recall and 2nd service Friday.....

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Syn and Scotty....I'll get 36mpg for a few tanks and then it'll drop to 19-20mpg same day same kind of travel...just later in the day....so you guys are correct....I do believe there is something different in the 2013's ECM.....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Syn and Scotty....I'll get 36mpg for a few tanks and then it'll drop to 19-20mpg same day same kind of travel...just later in the day....so you guys are correct....I do believe there is something different in the 2013's ECM.....
    I suspect it is something more basic than that...purge valve sticking, idle air valve sticking, bad wiring connection, bad or loose plug wire, bad coil, etc. Those intermittent problems are hard to find. I hope they can cure it with Wausau's help. Concentrate on the performance issues, they don't investigate gas mileage issues unless it is abysmal.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage ST

I am only 1200 miles in with my new 2013 ST-Ltd with Semi-Auto trans. I am "up to" approx. 25 MPG. I was hoping this would improve with cont'd break-in but it doesn't sound like it. Could some of the disparity here be between Auto and Manual transmissions??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    I am only 1200 miles in with my new 2013 ST-Ltd with Semi-Auto trans. I am "up to" approx. 25 MPG. I was hoping this would improve with cont'd break-in but it doesn't sound like it. Could some of the disparity here be between Auto and Manual transmissions??
    I wouldn't start worrying just yet. If after 4000-5000 you're still getting 25mpg on the highway talk to your dealer and see if they can find anything.

I'm really surprised that ST's are getting bad mileage. My mileage has been great compared to my GS.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Unfortunately welcome to the wonderful world of low mpg of Spyder ryding! I always told everybody that you don't buy one of these for the gas mileage. You can see by my Fuelly what my averages were. This was the primary reason I spent the bucks for the additional 5g in the front trunk with the aux tank. The idea of having to stop every 125 to 140 miles was a foreign thought to me. If I wanted to stop that often I'd buy a Sportster or I would have kept my Aprilia Tuono. Good luck.
    Mr. Orange, is there a write up on your installation of the 5 gallon auxiliary tank? Would be interested in seeing what you did.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Wow!!! Thanks much for the information Mr. O.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I verified I was getting about 30-32 mpg at the 60-65 range after that forget about it and enjoy the bike! I notice it sucks up gas when I ride aggressive 75-80 and more to get around folks but that's expected.

Verify it does as advertised at lower cruising speed and don't worry on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've been over 190 miles on a tank several times. Ran out of fuel once at this year's Spyderfest. 197 miles.
    If I recall some older lady picked you up and took you to the gas station.

Spyder Garage

I have been keeping track of my MPG on my 2012 RT. But the basics should be the same. This is 99.9% interstate driving speeds of 75-80 mph. I think there are factors everyone is not talking into account. Wind, terrain, drafting other vehicles, etc. Each of my tanks was different.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the dance that's going on between your right wrist, and the loud grip is the reason for that 26.1 mpg average...
    Us Olpharts up here usually run about 60 mph out on the four lanes; but we're getting a real steady 32 mpg...
    Heading to SpyderFest with a crowd that wanted to run 75 mph; I got 28 mpg or so...

When folks complain about their mileage; the first thing to find out, is how they ride...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Oh I'm not complaining. Just used my MPG as an example.

I'm on an RT not an ST.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 08 RS gets 30.55 mpg

Spyder Garage

last tank I got 196.9 miles out of before I filled up. I put in 4.685 gallons...

I could have gone over 200 miles since we have what 5.5 gallons in the ST-S and 1 Gallon Reserve?

the gas gauge was on 1 bar at the bottom and the fuel light was on.

IMG_99468948726998.jpeg IMG_99475286709602.jpeg

Key thing I think is the method I did for break in. I seated the valves this way = http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    using the STREET method (up and down the main drag of Maggie Valley) :-)

Also at 500 miles changed the oil and again at 1000 miles. I also installed the Bump Skid on from from Spyder Pops, and 2 Brothers Exhaust from day 1.
    Last edited by clueless; 10-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5