Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Akrapovic RT Exhaust - Dyno & Cat Removal Questions

I am considering the Akrapovic exhaust for my 2013 RT-S. From what I understand, they offer a "Sport" and "Sport Touring" silencer, but they are really the same except for their shape. I have been unable to locate a dyno chart comparing it to the stock exhaust. As a matter of fact, the Two Brothers exhaust is the ONLY aftermarket option that I've seen a dyno for and it shows a 3-4 HP increase. It doesn't seem like much to me. It makes me wonder if the stock exhaust isn't as restricted as I assume it is.

So my question is, does anyone have a dyno of the Akrapovic showing what I'm gaining in performance for the money - or even a seat of the pants opinion? Also, if the Akrapovic is mated with a cat bypass, will the two of them together lean out the FI mapping to the point that I would require a juice box, or will the stock ECM be able to handle both modifications? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Who makes the cat bypas ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    Who makes the cat bypas ???
    Here's the link:

http://www.spyder1attitude.com/cat-bypass.html

Others on this forum have installed it with great results.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you lose the converter and pop for the Akrapovic; the weight savings alone would be substantial...
    I'm guessing here; but it should be about 50 lobs...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you lose the converter and pop for the Akrapovic; the weight savings alone would be substantial...
    I'm guessing here; but it should be about 50 lobs...
    Wow!!! I guess my biggest worry is whether the ECM can handle them both without running too lean. I am very fortunate because I have a 2013 that does not exhibit the heat related issues. I know I'm not running lean and I don't want to upset that, but I also want to make some upgrades.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Wow!!! I guess my biggest worry is whether the ECM can handle them both without running too lean. I am very fortunate because I have a 2013 that does not exhibit the heat related issues. I know I'm not running lean and I don't want to upset that, but I also want to make some upgrades.
    I don't have any facts but I would bet that the bike would be to lean for comfort if we remove both without a tuning device. As of right now I can not find anyone offering a tuner for the 2013 yet. For the best performance I think we need to remove the cat, add free flowing muffler, and remove factory airbox and install the Kewl Metal high flow intake system. With the 50lbs of weight reduction and the more air in and more air out we should be able to get some good gains! After that there isn't anything else let on the aftermarket to improve performance. You would think that after 6 years we would have cam options, big bore kits, and several high flow intake options with cool air intake ducting to foglight holes.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    I don't have any facts but I would bet that the bike would be to lean for comfort if we remove both without a tuning device. As of right now I can not find anyone offering a tuner for the 2013 yet.

I called two brothers about a juice box pro for my 13 and they said it was in R&D and would be out in about 3 weeks and that was as of Yesterday.

Spyder Garage

I don't have any facts but I would bet that the bike would be to lean for comfort if we remove both without a tuning device.
    And that is what I'm looking to avoid. I was hoping that some members have done both mods with good results.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The more you tickle the dragon's tail; the quicker you'll get burned...
    i can see changing the can out back...
    I'd be VERY cautious beyond that...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The more you tickle the dragon's tail; the quicker you'll get burned...
    i can see changing the can out back...
    I'd be VERY cautious beyond that...

I'm with you, it's seem like dangerous territory replacing the cat also w/ no tune work.

Spyder Garage

I know that replacing the cat by itself has yielded great results by many members on this forum. If I had to choose between the cat and the exhaust, I'm thinking the cat would be the mod to make.

Spyder Garage

I know that replacing the cat by itself has yielded great results by many members on this forum. If I had to choose between the cat and the exhaust, I'm thinking the cat would be the mod to make.

Does changing out the cat only mess w/ other stuff?

Seems like a big change to me, moreso than a muffler change?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Does changing out the cat only mess w/ other stuff?

Seems like a big change to me, moreso than a muffler change?
    No, not really. Take a look at the link I posted. The removal is simply a bolt on - just like replacing the OEM exhaust. I would like to replace both. I know the ECM can adjust to one or the other, but I am not sure about both. As stated, there are plenty of people who have removed the cat and I have yet to see a negative result.

Spyder Garage

No, not really. Take a look at the link I posted. The removal is simply a bolt on - just like replacing the OEM exhaust. I would like to replace both. I know the ECM can adjust to one or the other, but I am not sure about both. As stated, there are plenty of people who have removed the cat and I have yet to see a negative result.
    I think what he is saying is that removing the cat would have more affect on the A/F mixture than removing the muffler, which I agree. Are you saying you have seen post where people removed the cat and nothing else and did not use a fuel controller of any kind with good results?
    2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

I think what he is saying is that removing the cat would have more affect on the A/F mixture than removing the muffler, which I agree. Are you saying you have seen post where people removed the cat and nothing else and did not use a fuel controller of any kind with good results?

That's what I was wondering.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    I called two brothers about a juice box pro for my 13 and they said it was in R&D and would be out in about 3 weeks and that was as of Yesterday.
    Thats good news! I just hope they do a map for a muffler swap only, a map for muffler swap and high flow intake, and a map for muffler swap, cat removal, and high flow intake install. With the 2012 the cat was in the muffler so when you swapped it out you removed the cat at the same time. It would only be fair that they gave us a map for the cat removed as well.
    2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

Thats good news! I just hope they do a map for a muffler swap only, a map for muffler swap and high flow intake, and a map for muffler swap, cat removal, and high flow intake install. With the 2012 the cat was in the muffler so when you swapped it out you removed the cat at the same time. It would only be fair that they gave us a map for the cat removed as well.

Not sure but was just happy it was in the works .

Spyder Garage

Im at a bit of a loss as to the cost of some of these mods...especially exhaust. $450 for 12 inches of exhaust tubing..(another $40 for gaskets!)
    Am I missing something here?

WHy is a simple cat bypass that I can have done on my Toyota at any quality custom exhaust shop about $100...put it under my Spyder and suddenly its worth almost $500???

Spyder Garage

In the 2013 STS, is the catalytic converter part of the OEM muffler?
    I believe the dealer has a Akraprovic "Sports" exhaust for the RS/RT (2012?) he intends to install it on my STS.

Will this install cause any issues? Or should I insists he orders the correct one from BRP?
    Or maybe it is the same part for all models with the current 998 engine?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. The converter is a separate can...

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I don't have any facts but I would bet that the bike would be to lean for comfort if we remove both without a tuning device. As of right now I can not find anyone offering a tuner for the 2013 yet. For the best performance I think we need to remove the cat, add free flowing muffler, and remove factory airbox and install the Kewl Metal high flow intake system. With the 50lbs of weight reduction and the more air in and more air out we should be able to get some good gains! After that there isn't anything else let on the aftermarket to improve performance. You would think that after 6 years we would have cam options, big bore kits, and several high flow intake options with cool air intake ducting to foglight holes.
    I don't know how you would find it, but back in '09 or '10 there was a big bore kit available for the 990.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These engines are pretty much "locked-down" by their computers...
    Are you referring to the Aprilia pieces?
    They might bolt on; but your talking about engine bits designed to work in a fullblown 400 pound sportbike; not a 700 pounder...
    You need a different powerband for our application...

Spyder Garage

Yes. The stock ECM will handle the removal of the cat. Once you swap it out, you let the bike idle for 10-15 minutes and it will adjust. I can provide links to some threads on this forum that already cover this. It is a true bolt-on modification.

From what I've read, the ECM can handle and adjust up to a 20% change. That's why I'm wondering if doing the exhaust (in addition to the cat removal) - primarily with the Akrapovic, will put it over the 20% where the stock ECM won't be able to adjust.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyspots View Post
    Im at a bit of a loss as to the cost of some of these mods...especially exhaust. $450 for 12 inches of exhaust tubing..(another $40 for gaskets!)
    Am I missing something here?

WHy is a simple cat bypass that I can have done on my Toyota at any quality custom exhaust shop about $100...put it under my Spyder and suddenly its worth almost $500???
    Funny. This topic was covered as well. Some people have done this themselves for well under $200, but those who have bought and installed the kit have said that they they can kind of understand the price after seeing how tight some of the clearances are in there and how everything needs to align / match up perfectly.

Spyder Garage

Interesting that the 2012's had cat and muffler combined and people changed out the exhaust. W no issues. That almost tells me that you can change the cat and muffler on the 2013's w no issues.

almost lol