Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    Lamont! I had Mike do my 2012 RT-SE5 almost 3 months ago, since I live 5 miles from him, here in New Smyrna Beach. The improvement was terrific, and for the first time my Rt tracks exactly where you point it, and I have had NO appreciable cupping, balance problems, or tire wear since. With Elkas front and rear, and Ron's sway bar, my RT is exactly how I think it should be, and handles like a dream. It's a shame BRP doesn't make this dealer standard shop equipment, but then it would take Business away from folks like you, that really care about our bikes! Great product, and Mike, being an early Spyder buyer/rider, got tired of all the darting, and tracking problems, and done something about it! By the way, he has ran a Racer driving performance school for many years, and is a real gearhead!
    GUZZI...that is the word of the day.."CARE" WE ALL CARE...it is not about the money it is helping our fellow Spyder Riders " ride in comfort" , sure we will make a few bucks along the way but Lamont said it perfect yesterday... "he is now free to do what he loves" . Mike is all about challenges in fact he heads to Des Moines next week. He invented a laser system to align tractor trailer tires to the king pin...he also loves what he does. I feel at this point we might have a stronger independant ROLO presense than BRP dealers ...time will tell

Spyder Garage

Are you at the helm of answering Spydercomforts email?

If so, you got another email lol

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would hope that all Spyder dealers will incorporate the laser alignments in their equipment arsenals! Check the video and it is a must have for them!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    I would hope that all Spyder dealers will incorporate the laser alignments in their equipment arsenals! Check the video and it is a must have for them!

I would rather bet that non-Spyder dealers had them too to keep the dealers from overcharging Spyder owners who need this service. People like Lamont who have their heart in it for the sport/lifestyle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FLAspydergirl View Post
    Chris, Mike and the ROLO Boys where the ones that did your alignment at Seminole on Thursday. I am shocked that Jason did not throw the BUD on your bike as soon as they were done....Mike heard him mention that to you, wonder why he did not do it ? You would think that a CERTIFIED BRP tech would know that the BRP manual recommends setting your steering sensors back to zero...? HUM.... ( Nancys toy says it is in the manual )Greg is the service manager...the "Tech" was Jason.

Actually, it was Greg who performed the buds. He opened up the frunk (banged up finger and all) pulled the pins to that plate at the top of the frunk, hooked up the computer to the spyder and ran the BUDS. Jason watched on and more or less helped or guided Greg through the process. That's where the 2.0 was determined.

Now when the alignment was performed, I was the one that mentioned to both Jason and Greg that the sensors PROBABLY needed to be recalibrated. I said this because I had recalled Scotty in other threads mentioning this. I don't think this is the first thread that Scotty has said that after an alignment, the sensors needed to be recalibrated.

When I came back from test riding my spyder after the alignment, I gave my impressions and rode my spyder home. It wasn't until late afternoon Friday, (sometime around 4:30) when I read Lamont's original post. The first thing I did was to fire off an email to Greg attaching this post. I then went down to Seminole Power Sports and queried his thoughts. He immediately asked me if I had ten or fifteen minutes. I did, and we took my spyder in the back and the BUDS were/was run.

All I can say is that my dealer has treated me extremely well over the years. I can also say that I am very pleased with the alignment process. As I said before. I would pay money to have this procedure done. It truly is an improvment on my ride.

Hope this helps.

​Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 09-28-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

He is my #1 salesman and my #1 chop buster ( I was going to say the other word...but I will keep this clean)

Mike is the King and Norm is the jester....and I am just the Warden....and that is a direct quote from Stormin Norman Robinson AKA the Jester

He was in the room next to me in the Studio Motel, saw my tires and said it looks like a toe out condition, later on that Friday morning at Progressive PS the system was hooked up and it was indeed toe out.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

GUZZI...that is the word of the day.."CARE" WE ALL CARE...it is not about the money it is helping our fellow Spyder Riders " ride in comfort" , sure we will make a few bucks along the way but Lamont said it perfect yesterday... "he is now free to do what he loves" . Mike is all about challenges in fact he heads to Des Moines next week. He invented a laser system to align tractor trailer tires to the king pin...he also loves what he does. I feel at this point we might have a stronger independant ROLO presense than BRP dealers ...time will tell

Hmm I drive an 18 wheeler for a big company with BROWN trucks. Always fighting to get front end checked. MD alignment is supposed to be the top dog in the HD truck field.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Think of it this way. The steering sensors don't automatically "know" when the bike is perfectly straight ahead, that is when it rolls perfectly straight ahead. They have to be "told" that the first time and they are told this is the zero point -- straight ahead. After that, the sensors know where they are and can handle all the difficult chores of the VSS, etc. So if you change something mechanically in the steering, the sensors don't know you made that change and must be told again where straight ahead is, if it changed at all. Once you again tell it where straight ahead is, and tell it that is the new zero point, then all is well.

They were set up correctly at the factory, that is the zero point was set when the bike was rolling straight ahead. The alignment may have been less than perfect but the bike rolled straight ahead and the sensors were told this is the zero point. Now you changed something and the zero point may have changed so you need to find the new zero point -- straight ahead -- and tell the computers.

Hope this helps.
    ...Gypsy I beg to differ with you and I think post #42 backs me up on this .....I don't think they were set up correctly at the factory and that's why they are NOT CORRECTLY aligned when you receive them......and I also think BRP has a responsibilty to provide the buyer with a PROPERLY set-up machine when you plunk down your $ 17, 000 to $30,000 +......I'm sorry but I don't feel BRP can wash there hands once the cash is transferred to them. I happen to have two Spyders one has "CRAPPY" alignment and the other is almost perfect.....WHY ????????....No dealer has ever touched either one as far as the front end goes. Don't mis-understand me on this . I LOVE both my Spyders. But right is right and wrong is wrong, if you want to accept less than than CORRECT and make excuses for the company go ahead....You have your views and I have mine .....END OF RANT ......Yea lazers..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ok, so the factory alignment sucks. I don't really get your point? It's not like you're gonna get any manufacturer in the world to do free alignments for you unless something is physically broke. LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Gypsy I beg to differ with you and I think post #42 backs me up on this .....I don't think they were set up correctly at the factory and that's why they are NOT CORRECTLY aligned when you receive them......and I also think BRP has a responsibilty to provide the buyer with a PROPERLY set-up machine when you plunk down your $ 17, 000 to $30,000 +......I'm sorry but I don't feel BRP can wash there hands once the cash is transferred to them. I happen to have two Spyders one has "CRAPPY" alignment and the other is almost perfect.....WHY ????????....No dealer has ever touched either one as far as the front end goes. Don't mis-understand me on this . I LOVE both my Spyders. But right is right and wrong is wrong, if you want to accept less than than CORRECT and make excuses for the company go ahead....You have your views and I have mine .....END OF RANT ......Yea lazers..... Mike
    Part of the reason is that the suspension geometry, especially on the fist generation RT, is such that the Spyder toes-out when loaded. Each rider is a different weight, and may or may not carry a passenger or cargo. That means even with a Spyder that is perfectly aligned at the factory (few seem to be), on the road it may be something completely different. That is one reason why the Elkas, which raise the ride height, calm things down so well. They toe the Spyder back in.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Part of the reason is that the suspension geometry, especially on the fist generation RT, is such that the Spyder toes-out when loaded. Each rider is a different weight, and may or may not carry a passenger or cargo. That means even with a Spyder that is perfectly aligned at the factory (few seem to be), on the road it may be something completely different. That is one reason why the Elkas, which raise the ride height, calm things down so well. They toe the Spyder back in.
    I'm sorry Scotty but this cannot account for the difference in front tire wear......some are gone at 10,000 or even less and others are getting 30,000 +...The difference is just to large for the above theory to be the reason.......IMHO......Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I would rather bet that non-Spyder dealers had them too to keep the dealers from overcharging Spyder owners who need this service. People like Lamont who have their heart in it for the sport/lifestyle.

But around here it is mostly dealers who service Spyders, not many people installing after market parts etc. But I agree with you!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

No need to yell here. If you read my post carefully, what I was trying to explain was why the steering angle sensor needs to be reset if any changes are made to the front alignment. Period. I said the alignment from the factory may be less than perfect (in agreement with all your complaints) but the steering angle sensor was set correctly. That's all. By definition, the steering angle sensor is set correctly if it is set to zero when the bike rolls straight ahead. If a change is made to alignment, now the steering angle sensor must be re-zeroed.

Do I feel less-than-perfect alignment is acceptable from BRP? No. I never said that. Am I making excuses for BRP? No. I never said that. All I said was the steering angle sensor was set correctly even though the alignment may be less than perfect. End of explanation. I think we're actually pretty close to being on the same page here.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Are there any shops in or around San Antonio that are offering Laser alignments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

This makes me wonder if we need the drivers weight on a bike when doing the laser alignment?

And I assume it would even change a little once a passenger is added?

Last edited by SNOOPY; 09-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish someone would get a truck loaded with the laser equipment and BUDS (if possible) and travel around to Spyder owners wanting their's aligned...

I know... the logistics and costs would make that a crazy idea... but it would be nice! Kind-of like pizza-delivery

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    I wish someone would get a truck loaded with the laser equipment and BUDS (if possible) and travel around to Spyder owners wanting their's aligned...

I know... the logistics and costs would make that a crazy idea... but it would be nice! Kind-of like pizza-delivery
    Tour America on us.................one Spyder w/trailer, Alignement Kit, Lap Top w/BUDs.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

This his makes me wonder if we need the drivers weight on a bike when doing the laser alignment?

That was factored in when they did my alignment.

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    That was factored in when they did my alignment.

​Chris

By by having someone on the bike or calculated some other way?

Spyder Garage

I know it wasn't because someone was on it. (although they did put someone on it who was quite heavy) and watched the difference. If I recall correctly, and Mike if you read this please chime in, they calculated or did some factoring of it in.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Thanks

These type things come w experience.

Spyder Garage

This his makes me wonder if we need the drivers weight on a bike when doing the laser alignment?

Especially Sharun.

Spyder Garage

The guys at Rolo have given us the numbers for a light rider and for a heavy or two up rider. They have done enough of these to know what the numbers need to be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well this is now giving me another reason to sell everything that I own in this Godforsaken State, and move South...
    Lamont,
    , and the best of luck to you in the new endeavor!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    No need to yell here. If you read my post carefully, what I was trying to explain was why the steering angle sensor needs to be reset if any changes are made to the front alignment. Period. I said the alignment from the factory may be less than perfect (in agreement with all your complaints) but the steering angle sensor was set correctly. That's all. By definition, the steering angle sensor is set correctly if it is set to zero when the bike rolls straight ahead. If a change is made to alignment, now the steering angle sensor must be re-zeroed.

Do I feel less-than-perfect alignment is acceptable from BRP? No. I never said that. Am I making excuses for BRP? No. I never said that. All I said was the steering angle sensor was set correctly even though the alignment may be less than perfect. End of explanation. I think we're actually pretty close to being on the same page here.
    Could be ? ? ? except for the fact that I'm not " YELLING ".....Yelling is when you print in " ALL " capital letters ....and my Post was not .....I happen to like larger print ....If this bothers you then don't read my Posts........Also my main complaint with BRP is WHY arn't they able to get all the ALIGNMENT factors and computers sensors to co-incide with each other to be correct when you buy the Spyder ......I would really like you to explain that for me and everyone else here........Sincerely ...Mike