Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho 225/50 R15

I have purchased a Kumho 225/50 R15 for my rear tire (2013 RTS SE5). The stock tire is a Kenda 225/50 R15, so it should fit, right? When it arrived, the tire is approximately an inch wider than the stock tire. Why would there be a difference in width when they are both the same size? Will it fit? I know there are guys using this Kumho tire and wondered if you have any thoughts. Thanks.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No problem at all...
    Are you comparing the width of the unmounted Kumho to the mounted Kenda?? That's never going to give you an accurate idea of the true story.
    I ran a Kumho; you'll love it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND THE REASON IS !!!!!!

Because all tire sizes are not created equal.....close but not exact......Remember the Kumho is a car tire and made differently to begin with.......But don't worry , I'll bet at least 5000 other Spyders have that exact same tire on the rear of their ride......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    No problem at all...
    Are you comparing the width of the unmounted Kumho to the mounted Kenda?? That's never going to give you an accurate idea of the true story.
    I ran a Kumho; you'll love it!
    Thanks. You are correct that I am comparing the unmounted Kumho to the mounted Kenda. Did your dealer do the install?
    2013 RTS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! I'm what is generously referred to as an "idiot", when it comes to doing things with wrenches!

Spyder Garage

Default Love the Kumho

I have many happy miles on the Kumho.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Default What model Kumho tire?

OK, I have 7000 miles on my RT Limited and the center of my my rear tire is shot! As I call the tire stores asking about the Kuhmo, thery're asking me what model Kumho I want. I know the size, but what model?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "Ecsta" is the one to look for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    OK, I have 7000 miles on my RT Limited and the center of my my rear tire is shot! As I call the tire stores asking about the Kuhmo, thery're asking me what model Kumho I want. I know the size, but what model?
    Those that have already installed them can give you a better answer. I'm going to have my new one installed today. What I purchased for $66.00 with free shipping is: KumhoEcsta AST
    HighPerformance All Season
    Size: 225/50R15
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

for the quick response!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Who'd you order from?

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    Those that have already installed them can give you a better answer. I'm going to have my new one installed today. What I purchased for $66.00 with free shipping is: KumhoEcsta AST
    Who'd you order from?

Thanks
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks. You are correct that I am comparing the unmounted Kumho to the mounted Kenda. Did your dealer do the install?
    Some dealers refuse to install a car tire on the spyder and give you some b s story, but a good dealer will install the Kumho Ecsta with no hesitation or problem ( I have also had the Falken but did not like it as well)
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Some dealers refuse to install a car tire on the spyder and give you some b s story, but a good dealer will install the Kumho Ecsta with no hesitation or problem ( I have also had the Falken but did not like it as well)
    Thankfully I have good dealer. I have an appointment with Velocity Power Sports, Ladson, SC next Tuesday to have my Kumho installed. They did not hesitate when I told them what I have. They could not do it today because they have a number of Recalls to complete.
    2013 RTS SE5

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The "Ecsta" is the one to look for.
    I ran that tire on the rear of my Goldwing. (Darkside rider) it's a long lasting tire.

Spyder Garage

Yup! I'm what is generously referred to as an "idiot", when it comes to doing things with wrenches!
    I don't know; I do most of my own wrenching, but won't hesitate to go to a professional for some things. Mounting a tire is on my list.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

How long has the kumho tire lasted for the people that have used it comparing to the Kenda?? I have a bad habit of loving to spin the rear tire and the kenda tire probably not gonna last real long For what the Kumho tire cost can almost buy 3 for what the kenda costs.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

[QUOTE=billrob71;695298]How long has the kumho tire lasted for the people that have used it comparing to the Kenda?? I have a bad habit of loving to spin the rear tire and the kenda tire probably not gonna last real long For what the Kumho tire cost can almost buy 3 for what the kenda costs.[/QUOT
    .The KUMHO should outlast the OEM KENDA for a number of reasons......It's a car tire built for a much heavier vehicle, it has twice as many plies so it won't have a tendancy to BALLOON at high speed, I think the speed rating is Higher than the Kenda but don't quote me on that......Mike

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;695325]
    Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    How long has the kumho tire lasted for the people that have used it comparing to the Kenda?? I have a bad habit of loving to spin the rear tire and the kenda tire probably not gonna last real long For what the Kumho tire cost can almost buy 3 for what the kenda costs.[/QUOT
    .The KUMHO should outlast the OEM KENDA for a number of reasons......It's a car tire built for a much heavier vehicle, it has twice as many plies so it won't have a tendancy to BALLOON at high speed, I think the speed rating is Higher than the Kenda but don't quote me on that......Mike

Thanks Mike

The whole tire is rated better. After little over 1000 miles and at 6/32, can't imagine it will last real long.

Spyder Garage

Thankfully I have good dealer. I have an appointment with Velocity Power Sports, Ladson, SC next Tuesday to have my Kumho installed. They did not hesitate when I told them what I have. They could not do it today because they have a number of Recalls to complete.
    I asked them about it when I had my 600mi service done. They said no problem you bring it we will mount it.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not all of us are quite that lucky...
    My dealer will also mount what I bring in to him.
    It's a good idea to check in with them on this point before ordering a tire...

Spyder Garage

Default Purchase location??

Where did you buy the tire?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by John Easydoesit View Post
    Where did you buy the tire?
    I'm sorry, but I don't remember who I ordered it from. It was an online purchase.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I have purchased a Kumho 225/50 R15 for my rear tire (2013 RTS SE5). The stock tire is a Kenda 225/50 R15, so it should fit, right? When it arrived, the tire is approximately an inch wider than the stock tire. Why would there be a difference in width when they are both the same size? Will it fit? I know there are guys using this Kumho tire and wondered if you have any thoughts. Thanks.
    It's the tire I use and I'm very happy with it!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    It's the tire I use and I'm very happy with it!

Where did you get it from?

It seems to be unavailable in eastern Canada.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

My kumho has 17k maybe it will go to 20 k .I got mine from discount tire direct $81 225 50 15 but I like more general altimax 215 60 15. I order it for my chevy cobolt 2008 lt 15 in base .Ya sure