Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I was at my dealer on Saturday to get my recall done on my RT-S. This dealer is primarily HD but they also have Can-Am and Suzuki. They were having a memorial ride for a club member. It was all HD and 1 Ninja. I noticed that not one single HD rider was wearing a helmet. It has been my experience that when I see someone on a HD, they are not wearing a helmet. Could someone please explain, is it an unwritten rule that if you ride a HD, you can't wear a helmet? I myself wear a half helmet when it's warmer and a full helmet with face shield when it's cooler. For just riding around town, I usually don't wear a helmet. My wife always wears a helmet, no matter where we're going. I'm not judging anyone. I just want to get some different viewpoints and opinions. Thank you.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... what are your brains worth to you? HelmetImpactChart_zpse4dbd104.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Helmets are a personal thing and one of our favorite hot button topics. There is something to be said about helmets and HD's--the lack of helmets seem to be a big thing there. That said, I know several HD riders that do wear helmets.

Helmets are legislated in some states, in other states, its your call.

I believe in ATGATT because you never know when fate is going to come knocking on your door. Its too late to put on gear if you actually need it.

Enough soap box. Ride safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well... what are your brains worth to you? HelmetImpactChart_zpse4dbd104.jpg
    Thanks, I'd like to keep my brains, but that doesn't answer my HD question.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Spyder Garage

This is not just a HD thing. When I go to states that don't require a helmet, I see riders of all kinds of bike not wearing one. Personally, I would wear one even if it wasn't mandatory in Ontario. I have seen what a small hit to the head can result in. My wife's co-workers husband fell off his atv doing 5mph and hit his head on the dirt and a week later he was dead.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got splatted by a bug today riding at 70 mph. Was I ever glad I was wearing my helmet!
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Spyder Garage

I am a statistician.
    helmets reduce fatalities by a whopping 41%. They reduce injuries by nearly the same amount.
    white helmets reduce fatalities by an additional 24%.

This means that a motorcyclist wearing a white helmet has about a 55% less chance of a fatality than one not wearing a helmet at all.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubld View Post
    I was at my dealer on Saturday to get my recall done on my RT-S. This dealer is primarily HD but they also have Can-Am and Suzuki. They were having a memorial ride for a club member. It was all HD and 1 Ninja. I noticed that not one single HD rider was wearing a helmet. It has been my experience that when I see someone on a HD, they are not wearing a helmet. Could someone please explain, is it an unwritten rule that if you ride a HD, you can't wear a helmet? I myself wear a half helmet when it's warmer and a full helmet with face shield when it's cooler. For just riding around town, I usually don't wear a helmet. My wife always wears a helmet, no matter where we're going. I'm not judging anyone. I just want to get some different viewpoints and opinions. Thank you.
    Misconception alert!
    All the HD riders I know wear helmets, and HD makes helmets as well...
    Of course, most of them take them off when they cross a helmet law state, but some have common sense.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'd like to keep my brains, but that doesn't answer my HD question.
    I know that it didn't... but I didn't want to speak poorly of them as a group.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Misconception alert!
    All the HD riders I know wear helmets, and HD makes helmets as well...
    Of course, most of them take them off when they cross a helmet law state, but some have common sense.
    But some of them wear those non-DOT approved novelty helmets....you see them--they look like old WWII German helmets. Then to make it even worse they stick things like spikes on the helmet. I guess denial is not just a river in Egypt.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default What can one say...!!

tradition dating way back when it was all Harley's and Indians and no one wore helmets. They were a tough bunch and could not be seen as weak. Now they do wear more leather than most, boots, chaps, vests, jackets, gloves etc. which is interesting because having good legs, feet, hands and arms is worthless if you have no mind to control them. I think it is still the image and pressure of those that are diehards on the issue...if nothing else I will always wear my helmet...jmho
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I owned 3 HDs prior to the Spyder. Whether it's a long trip or just to the grocery store, I've always worn a helmet when riding.

Some of my HD friends do not wear a helmet by choice since there's no helmet law in Illinois. Helmets are must haves for me.

2015 F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    12V Power Outlet
    Battery Tender Pigtail
    Blue Ridge Windshield

Spyder Garage

You just have to take a spill, once, get up, feeling foolish, but unhurt, other than a bruised ego, and then see the look in a friends face when he sees the dent in your helmet an inch deep . . . to become someone who always wear a helmet when you ride, even around the block, the rest of your life . . . I'm proof of that.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post

Really is that true? what is the reasoning behind it? visibility? My helmet has an LED in it. wonder if that helps any.

drive safe everybody .

fas

Spyder Garage

Amen to that. I still have an old Bell helmet hanging on my garage wall, with a big nasty gash out of it. I took a spill at about 10 mph hit the curb. Walked away without a scratch. Won't catch me riding without one ever. ATGATT!

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

if you are wearing a helmet when you fly off your bike, most insurances will cover the cost of your helmet, some make using a helmet that has been in a crash a no no, I wish they could make a helmet that was certified for motorcycles, that was as comfortable as my skiing helmet. I have an aria and a scorpion and a Nolan, none of them fit perfect, I have yet to try on a helmet that made me say "Oh man this fits perfect" when I do find one I will be a happy man. by the way I all ways wear a helmet, do not want to, just smart enough to. if you ride a motorcycle you will get in a crash sooner or later. the helmet will help you ride again. just my nickels worth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fas2000 View Post
    Really is that true? what is the reasoning behind it? visibility? My helmet has an LED in it. wonder if that helps any.

drive safe everybody .

fas
    Yes this is true. It was first studied in New Zealand in a ten year study of bike colors, clothing colors, and helmet colors. This was a very well done study (yes I did read it in its entirity). This study showed that clothing color or bike color did not matter in either crash or fatality statistics. Only helmet color mattered and white reflective helmets reduced fatalities by 24%.

Subsequently a similar study was conducted in Europe. This second study occurred in France and Germany primarily. There were a few Italian data points and a few from UK. But not enough data from outside of France and Germany to make a difference. This was just as well for the Italian data because the motorcycle driving laws do not provide credibility to any Italian based data.

I was consulting on the European study and found the study to be fairly credible. The study had a couple of problems. For one, it did not differentiate between "quality" helmets (for us that would be DOT approved) and low quality helmets. The European study showed between a 24% and a 33% fatality reduction for white helmets. Unfortunately, the investigators did not develop a rider assessment. As a result, they were unable to determine if the observed life-years saved were solely due to white helmets, or whether people who wore white helmets we just more safety minded. I spoke with them about this three or four times, but they claimed that they did not have funding for the additional analysis.

Consequently, I always use the lower number of 24% reduction.

Clearly there are differences between motorcycle driving in New Zealand or Europe and here. However, with a number as large as 24% I am doubtful whether an American based study would result in a significantly lower statistic. What I mean is, even if the statistic was off by 50% it would still be very significant, and should not be ignored.

I tried to develop numbers for trikes (3 wheel motorcycles). However there are too few 3 wheel motorcycle fatalities to be able to make any scientific statements. It is good that in 2011 there were only six deaths on 3 wheel motorcycles. However the lack of data points prevents any science-based statements regarding trikes or Spyders.
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 09-24-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Spelling/typos
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I wear a 1/2 helmet due to the heat in Fla, in this state, I believe it's about 50/50 with the HD riders. My Hubby has one and never goes without, but I see plenty without them.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I know that it didn't... but I didn't want to speak poorly of them as a group.
    I am SOOOO proud of me. I was able to read this post and make no reply,,,,,oh, wait,,,,, doh!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Got splatted by a bug today riding at 70 mph. Was I ever glad I was wearing my helmet!
    #1 reason had one go up my sinus when I was young and it has never been the same it always plugs up. I also have tinnitus and need to keep what little hearing I have left so helmet for me. One saved my life by the way over the bars at 45mph when I ran off the road (stupidity) was knocked out for 45min and got a few scratches but my head survived,my head survived did I say my head survived. Not a funny story but the day I went to get my license I was practicing the course that was next to the main drag in town and a Harley came screaming down so I turned to look at it just as I did a car pulled out in front of him. I saw him do 3 somersaults and land on his head with no helmet. I knew some of his friends and they said he was never right "in the head" again. I was first on scene to give first aid and might have saved his life. I was on TV and at the end of the story as I walked away I was putting my helmet on and the reporter remarked " and he walked away WITH his helmet on.
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Helmet Helmet Helmet HD rider friends all wear helmet. All survived fatal accident except one coz he didn't strapped. Found his helmet 50 feet away from him. I never ride without fastening my helmet.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I am a statistician.
    helmets reduce fatalititestosteronehopping 41%. They redseverity juries by nearly the same amount.

This means that a motorcyclist wearing a white helmet has about a 55% less chance of a fatality than one not wearing a helmet at all.
    While you are quoting stats, what stats show the years of riding experience? I don't always wear a helmet, in SC it is a personal choice, but I see these younger sports bike riders, full face helmets with video cameras on top of the helmet, I see them burning off their tires, slinging rubber hither and yon. Running their tach's up around 10 grand before hitting their shifter.
    They NEED a helmet, and they NEED to fill it with brains, instead of testosterone! I've survived with and without a helmet, but never felt the need to videotape my ability to be stupid! I've got 55 years riding experience, from little scooters and minibikes, to dressers, Vespas, Hondas, Harleys, 2 strokers, even an old Indian. But I have always driven 'like they are out to get you.' Because they probably are. When a helmet becomes a substitute for common sense, I'll take common sense, when bravado is a substitute for thinking defensively, I'll think safely. Stats can be made to say whatever position the person formulating the statistics wants to say. I've worked emergency departments on 3 continents, and I've seen 2 motorcycle wrecks where their helmets saved their lives but sheared their spinal cords, their lives revolve around letting students learn how to insert a catheter into their bladder because they are totally paralyzed and can't pee on their own. In their case, they wished they hadn't had their lives saved, they hit to upper door edge of the car that "didn't see them in the road", thanks but no thanks! They were different accidents in different seasons.

Doc

Spyder Garage

Yes this is true. It was first studied in New Zealand in a ten year study of bike colors, clothing colors, and helmet colors. This was a very well done study (yes I did read it in its entirity). This study showed that clothing color or bike color did not matter in either crash or fatality statistics. Only helmet color mattered and white reflective helmets reduced fatalities by 24%.

Subsequently a similar study was conducted in Europe. This second study occurred in France and Germany primarily. There were a few Italian data points and a few from UK. But not enough data from outside of France and Germany to make a difference. This was just as well for the Italian data because the motorcycle driving laws do not provide credibility to any Italian based data.

I was consulting on the European study and found the study to be fairly credible. The study had a couple of problems. For one, it did not differentiate between "quality" helmets (for us that would be DOT approved) and low quality helmets. The European study showed between a 24% and a 33% fatality reduction for white helmets. Unfortunately, the investigators did not develop a rider assessment. As a result, they were unable to determine if the observed life-years saved were solely due to white helmets, or whether people who wore white helmets we just more safety minded. I spoke with them about this three or four times, but they claimed that they did not have funding for the additional analysis.

Consequently, I always use the lower number of 24% reduction.

Clearly there are differences between motorcycle driving in New Zealand or Europe and here. However, with a number as large as 24% I am doubtful whether an American based study would result in a significantly lower statistic. What I mean is, even if the statistic was off by 50% it would still be very significant, and should not be ignored.

I tried to develop numbers for trikes (3 wheel motorcycles). However there are too few 3 wheel motorcycle fatalities to be able to make any scientific statements. It is good that in 2011 there were only six deaths on 3 wheel motorcycles. However the lack of data points prevents any science-based statements regarding trikes or Spyders.
    Yes I remember your trike analysis I think just about a week back. And thank you for such a in depth and first hand explanation of these studies. I'm atgatt myself, but i will definitely consider white in my helmet more then before.

Fas

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Spyder Garage

I live in Florida where there is no helmet law. Before that I lived in Missouri, where there IS a helmet law, but was just across the river from Illinois, where there is no helmet law.

As far as I can tell, the brand of bike really doesn't make that much difference. I see HD riders with and without helmets all the time...and I see other brands, including crotch rockets around here, where the riders aren't wearing helmets.

Personally, I wouldn't go out on ANY cycle of ANY type without a helmet on. I've had my life literally saved by wearing not just a helmet, but a GOOD helmet. That's why I continue to buy the best helmet I can afford. These days it's a Shoei RF-1100, though I've worn Arais and Simpsons in the past. I know if I hit something (or something hits me) hard enough a helmet isn't going to save me...but I wear it for all the OTHER times when it will.

I know wearing a helmet is a personal decision in many states, but I simply do not understand why someone would ride without one. I've heard tons of reasons, but, to me, it still comes down to whether I want to survive (or not become a vegetable) the accident I wouldn't survive if I didn't have one on. And, as someone else pointed out, I'd MUCH rather have a helmet on when that big honkin' bug cracks into my head at 70+mph!

Don't wanna wear gloves? Ok...you'll skin your hands up. Don't wanna wear long pants...ok, same with your legs. Short sleeves...same again again with your arms. No boots...broken ankle perhaps. No helmet...mmmmm. No thanks, I'll wear one.

Anyway, I've already had a good helmet save my life. Literally save my life. It's the reason I'm still here at the age of 62 and still riding. To me, that's reason enough.

Oh...I wear seat belts in my cage, too.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Are you nuts

You can die just driving around town. My brother has been riding for 40 years. He has had his share of spills, but the worst he ever had was a quick dash down the street to a parts store for one of his bikes. A VW wandered across the center divide and he was in some gravel and was unable to avoid a head on collision. He was launched off the wind shield of the VW straight into the air. His head hit the windshield he later hit the ground unconscious. Oh, I forgot to mention he was not wearing a Helmet........he maybe the luckiest helmetless rider in pre helmet law California. You don't know when it is going to happen. Wear the helmet all the time. I wear a full face Arai Defiant helmet with enough ventilation that I have a lot of wind in my face to stay cool even in 100 degree plus weather. There is no reason to not wear one. IMHO
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.