Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking to buy a Spyder

I am looking at the Spyders, trying to decide if I want to go ahead and get one or wait until the 2014's come out....First question I have is, how much gas milage do the 2013's vs. 2014's get? Then I am trying to decide if I want the RT or not. Any comments or suggestions???

Spyder Garage

The 2014 according to BRP gets ~100 more miles to a tank of gas. I have the RT and I am probably a little bias to that as I love mine. You may want to check around to see if any 2012's are around your area if not, I would personally get the 14.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT SM5 with audio package for sale. 7700 miles, trouble free. Just had annual service done. Everything looking good.

Spyder Garage

If it were me, I would buy the 2014. The 2013's have had heat issues. The 2014 RT has a lot of new features and a new drivetrain (1330 ACE triple, and a 6 speed gearbox). I am more concerned about the 2013's proven issues than the 2014's potential issues. If you plan on doing a lot of long distance travel, the RT and the ST are the better models to own, IMHO.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Based on what I've read on this forum, I would stay away from the 13's...I realize not everyone has ALL the issues, but they seem fairly common.

I have a 2012 RT A&C and have had no issues....

Price might be a determining factor. IF there are any 2012 models left, you could save about 10K over the price of a 2014....Then there's always the pre-owned route....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since you live in central Texas, my recommendation would be a 2014 RT. It has more power, better mileage, longer range, and the heat issues seem to have been solved. If you want something sportier, I'd recommend the 2014 RS or ST. They are supposed to have improved under-tupperware cooling over the previous models.

One thing to remember is the dealer is critical to your experience. Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown TX has received good reports from Spyderlovers members.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    The 2013's have had heat issues.
    The 2014 does have a good list of improvements. Regarding heat issues, only time will tell.

They move the radiators, so the heat will not be evacuated directly on the rider's feet.

Nothing right now says that the engine heat will stop melting the components under the tupperware.

...Ben...