Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 165/55 R15

Spyder Garage

Default 165/55 R15

I'm trying to find front tires for my 2013 RTS SE5. I've read all the messages on the board about using car tires and am not interested in discussing that issue. I'd appreciate it if someone who is actually using a car tire size 165/55 R15 could tell me what brand you have and where I might buy two of them. I know there are a number of people who have pre-2013's that use the R14 tires, but those don't help me. Thanks.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    I'm trying to find front tires for my 2013 RTS SE5. I've read all the messages on the board about using car tires and am not interested in discussing that issue. I'd appreciate it if someone who is actually using a car tire size 165/55 R15 could tell me what brand you have and where I might buy two of them. I know there are a number of people who have pre-2013's that use the R14 tires, but those don't help me. Thanks.
    It is my understanding that Kenda make these tyres under license from Can-Am and thus the ONLY place you can buy these
    is at a Can-Am dealer.

Spyder Garage

Best possibility is going to a 60 size 55 is virtually non exisistant. That being said this is a might fine tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...60&diameter=15

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

how many miles on your 2013?

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    how many miles on your 2013?
    2013 RTS SE5

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

9,000 and you already need front wheels....that is crazy....that is not normal....I have 10k and wheels are evenly thread and in good shape......what is the problem.....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    9,000 and you already need front wheels....that is crazy....that is not normal....I have 10k and wheels are evenly thread and in good shape......what is the problem.....
    There is no problem. I'm just locating tires for when I do need to change them. The wear is even and not down to the wear bars. I have always had to replace MC tires at 10 to 12K. Just looking ahead. I already have a Kuhmo for the rear.
    2013 RTS SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The only car tire I've been able to find which is commonly available in North America in 165/55R15 is the Federal 595 Evo.

The Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 is available in 165/55R15 from suppliers in Japan, Australia and Russia.

With the closeness of the 2013 fenders to the tires, a taller or wider tire could be a problem. I wonder if BRP did this on purpose to force 2013 ryders to purchase the OEM Kenda tires.
    Last edited by OldCowboy; 09-21-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    The only car tire I've been able to find which is commonly available in North America in 165/55R15 is the Federal 595 Evo.

The Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 is available in 165/55R15 from suppliers in Japan, Australia and Russia.

With the closeness of the 2013 fenders to the tires, a taller or wider tire could be a problem. I wonder if BRP did this on purpose to force 2013 ryders to purchase the OEM Kenda tires.
    Thanks, I'll look for those. I would bet money that BRP knew what they were doing.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

The only car tire I've been able to find which is commonly available in North America in 165/55R15 is the Federal 595 Evo....
    Thanks again. I found two on Ebay and ordered them.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I knew about the Evos but can't find any ratings on it. I gave you a link to tire sizing so you could see the difference in 60 vs 55 is very little. There is 2/3 in difference in diameter divide by 2 and that would be the the additional width at the fender. My measurement show ~1 1/2 in diameter clearance and 1/2 in width clearance. A 60 tire is the same width and 1/3 of an inch closer to the fender in Diameter. You saw the ratings on the Conti Pro it is an outstanding tire and will be on mine when the time comes.
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-21-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

They did it to improve the fuel mileage over the previous arrangement. The wide-spaced fenders were not as aerodynamic.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no problem. I'm just locating tires for when I do need to change them. The wear is even and not down to the wear bars. I have always had to replace MC tires at 10 to 12K. Just looking ahead. I already have a Kuhmo for the rear.
    Thanks again. I found two on Ebay and ordered them.
    Hope you don't mind holding them in your inventory. If you scoured the forum, you'd see that fronts commonly last 30K or so, not what you're used to on two-wheelers. 9K for the rear is about time to do it but the fronts will be there for a while.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Hope you don't mind holding them in your inventory. If you scoured the forum, you'd see that fronts commonly last 30K or so, not what you're used to on two-wheelers. 9K for the rear is about time to do it but the fronts will be there for a while.
    Holding them in inventory is not a problem. Thanks
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

anyone find any other tires for the front in 165/50 R15? other then the Federal tires?

FEDERAL FORMOZA FD1 = http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-165-50...p2054897.l5663

or

FEDERAL 595 EVO TIRES = http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-165-55...p2054897.l5659

both tires got bad reviews for WET traction ... great DRY but poor wet = http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Federal/595EVO.htm

putting on the Kumho AST for the rear tire (waiting for more reviews on the post 2013 thread wear). the OEM Kendas are wearing out around 7k miles on the rear and front are wearing out faster then the Kendas that I had on the 2010 RTS. Supposedly they changed the tire makeup recently. but until someone starts getting more mileage will go with the Kumho. only thing is the Kumho is an H Rated tire. would like to see a V rated on the rear but should be fine. and tons have used them already.

just looking for front now. where i think breaking traction and wet grip more important then wear.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Kumho Solus; at 155/60-15, is a contender...
    Other than being a bit narrower; it matches up real well...
    The narrower section width MIGHT play out as less aerodynamic and rolling resistance: better fuel economy!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile 2013 Kumho tread wear

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    anyone find any other tires for the front in 165/50 R15? other then the Federal tires?

FEDERAL FORMOZA FD1 = http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-165-50...p2054897.l5663

or

FEDERAL 595 EVO TIRES = http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-165-55...p2054897.l5659

both tires got bad reviews for WET traction ... great DRY but poor wet = http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Federal/595EVO.htm

putting on the Kumho AST for the rear tire (waiting for more reviews on the post 2013 thread wear). the OEM Kendas are wearing out around 7k miles on the rear and front are wearing out faster then the Kendas that I had on the 2010 RTS. Supposedly they changed the tire makeup recently. but until someone starts getting more mileage will go with the Kumho. only thing is the Kumho is an H Rated tire. would like to see a V rated on the rear but should be fine. and tons have used them already.

just looking for front now. where i think breaking traction and wet grip more important then wear.
    I have about 9000 on a rear Kumho on my 2013 RT Limited. That's about the same mileage I had when I had to replace the Kendra. The Kumho is hardly worn!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's good to know... I've got a Kumho with my name on it, at Netzley Tire!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thought I'd revive this thread since it's been a while. Anyone found a suitable replacement in this size?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

Another alternative is Bridgestone Potenza RE030

AJ

Last edited by PaladinLV; 05-15-2015 at 08:40 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'll look for those. I would bet money that BRP knew what they were doing.
    I have Federal Evo on the front of my 2014 RTL. My original OEM tires were defective and these have 24000 miles on them and still look good...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Another alternative is Bridgestone Potenza RE030

AJ
    What size Bridgestone Potenza are you running and with which fenders? They are not available in the stock 165/55-15.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    I've got 18,000 + miles on an F3-S, replaced the rear (worn out) with a Kuhmo car tire and am very happy with it so far. Over the last two years I can't keep the front Kenda's balanced. Lately they go out of balance in a day! Lots of tread left but they have to go!

Spyder Garage

My Kenda's had lots of tread left but were starting to scallop so I got rid of them last year.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    My Kenda's had lots of tread left but were starting to scallop so I got rid of them last year.
    My original Kendas on both bikes have plenty of tread left at 17k miles. They've had the scalloped pattern for most of those miles but it hasn't caused any handling or vibration issues. I'll probably try a car tire once I get to 20k.
    2014 RTL Platinum