Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ST-S Heat problems

Was planning on getting a 2013 ST-S in about a week but after reading about all the heat issues I am having second thoughts and thinking about holding off a couple months until the 2014's come out. I can get a good deal on a 2013 (16,500) but since this is my first Spyder and a large purchase I don't want to buy this and not want to ride it because it gets too hot. How do you think the heat problem will be after the recall work does the heat wrap? And would you wait for the 2014's?

Spyder Garage

Wow, if I could have got a ST-S for $16,500 knowing the heat problems, I would have jumped on that and spent a $100 on some quality heat shield.

I bought mine just before hearing about the heat issues.

After I take it in for the recall I'm gonna add a little more heat shield around things for insurance.

I have under 200 miles and no heat issues yet.

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices..!!

though not fixed by a long shot solutions are arising in the heat issue. When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue. The 14's have changes addressing the heat problems. Have not heard how well the work so time will tell. If it is price go for the 13, if not an issue and you have doubts go for the 14..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    though not fixed by a long shot solutions are arising in the heat issue. When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue. The 14's have changes addressing the heat problems. Have not heard how well the work so time will tell. If it is price go for the 13, if not an issue and you have doubts go for the 14..
    When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue?????? that is not a fix...cause then it will show it's ugly face when the temps heat up and we will have many more miles and more damage to everything under the tupperware

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Don't hold your breath... Although the heat issue with the 2013's is serious, there are reports of some that barely have problems. Mine for example, has 8100 miles on it, put the "band aid" on it (recall) at 7900, and when the shield was placed there was no signs of melting parts. And I have ridden my RT on the interstate several times in the middle of summer at 95+ degrees. I'd take the deal, but if you want to wait for the 2014, it will not be around for at least December/January (rumor mill saying that the RT's are coming out first, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either...).
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default The big question

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue?????? that is not a fix...cause then it will show it's ugly face when the temps heat up and we will have many more miles and more damage to everything under the tupperware
    The big question will be if the 2014 ST's have eliminated the heat issues, period. Heat shields and tape are not a solution to me.

My perception of a $25000+ toy is to get on it and ride from coast to coast without a thought of failure or safety issues.

It appears BRP is making great strides in the maintenance schedule with the 2014 RT. I sincerely want to see the Spyder become rock solid reliable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    The big question will be if the 2014 ST's have eliminated the heat issues, period. Heat shields and tape are not a solution to me.
    Agreed, heat shields and tape are not a solution, only a band-aid. And a poor one at that.

I'm also thinking and hoping that the new body panels on the 2014 ST roadsters, and soon to be available for the 2013 ST roadsters, will cure most if not all of the uncomfortable heat problems.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    Agreed, heat shields and tape are not a solution, only a band-aid. And a poor one at that.

I'm also thinking and hoping that the new body panels on the 2014 ST roadsters, and soon to be available for the 2013 ST roadsters, will cure most if not all of the uncomfortable heat problems.

Carl
    It needs to be on BRP's nickel not mine....I paid 25k BRP needs to make this right

Spyder Garage

It needs to be on BRP's nickel not mine....I paid 25k BRP needs to make this right
    On this I totally agree with you 100%. And I presume you still have heard nothing on your offer to do the free testing on the new body panels.

Carl

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply's. I'm new to this forum and so far people have been very helpful and there is a lot of good info you can get on here.

Spyder Garage

One more question. I was going to have the dealer install fog lights (I'm to lazy to do it and they are only charging me $30 labor, and from what I have seen about the install, its worth it) Do you think that this will effect the air flow since the stock bezel which has a hole there, maybe for air flow, now has a fog light there? Was thinking this might make the heat problem worse and maybe I should not get the fog lights installed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    On this I totally agree with you 100%. And I presume you still have heard nothing on your offer to do the free testing on the new body panels.

Carl
    I was told BRP was not testing 2014 panels on 2013's, but if something changes...they will contact me......won't be holding my breath

Spyder Garage

Default Panels

If the new 2014 panels on the ST's are the answer to the heat problem, then those of us with 2013 ST's need to bombard BRP with emails, phone calls and letters and demand that we get the new panels free!!!! If we can all coordinate this, then I think BRP would have to give in for PR purposes. If that doesn't work, we can always go to the media.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    If the new 2014 panels on the ST's are the answer to the heat problem,
    That is one of the things that we don't yet know, are the new 2014 ST panels the answer to the 2013 ST heat problems.

Personally, I am waiting for them to become available so I can buy a set and actually test them out on my 2013 ST-S and see if they fix the heat build up problem.

Carl

Spyder Garage

If the new 2014 panels on the ST's are the answer to the heat problem, then those of us with 2013 ST's need to bombard BRP with emails, phone calls and letters and demand that we get the new panels free!!!! If we can all coordinate this, then I think BRP would have to give in for PR purposes. If that doesn't work, we can always go to the media.
    I agree.....I think they need to have a few of us who would be willing to test the panels.....ride like 3000 miles a month...for 2 or 3 months and document the results......and if BRP won't ...then send emails...phone calls...letters....daily...to every BRP email we can find

Spyder Garage

I agree.....I think they need to have a few of us who would be willing to test the panels.....ride like 3000 miles a month...for 2 or 3 months and document the results......and if BRP won't ...then send emails...phone calls...letters....daily...to every BRP email we can find
    http://lemonjustice.com/lemon-law/TX_motorcycle_law.php

Seems Like you would qualify for at least 2 of the scenarios above?

It really Makes me Mad that BRP is Really "Burning" the owners of heat problem vehicles!!!

Its BRPs Job to Do a Permanent Fix or Pay Up - I would pursue the $$$ solution because you don,t want a similar Year New model unless its a RS?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pokerpaul View Post
    One more question. I was going to have the dealer install fog lights (I'm to lazy to do it and they are only charging me $30 labor, and from what I have seen about the install, its worth it) Do you think that this will effect the air flow since the stock bezel which has a hole there, maybe for air flow, now has a fog light there? Was thinking this might make the heat problem worse and maybe I should not get the fog lights installed.

I don't know positively if it would block some air flow, but that is one reason I haven't opted for the fog lights yet.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP WHO

I own a 2013 ST-Limited with a serious heat problem, and have written emails, made phone calls, PM BRP STEVE, and complained to the dealership from day one, so far got no where, but count me onboard for whatever needs to be done to get rid of the HEAT PROBLEM
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pokerpaul View Post
    Was planning on getting a 2013 ST-S in about a week but after reading about all the heat issues I am having second thoughts and thinking about holding off a couple months until the 2014's come out. I can get a good deal on a 2013 (16,500) but since this is my first Spyder and a large purchase I don't want to buy this and not want to ride it because it gets too hot. How do you think the heat problem will be after the recall work does the heat wrap? And would you wait for the 2014's?
    You present a difficult question since everything is in "limbo" mode at this time.

Much discussion about heat issues with 2013 ST's. "New and improved" side panels for the 2014 ST's. Big issues about retrofitting 13's with the panels. No actual consumer testing as of yet on the 2014 panels, and no real "heat" to do it in.

The above makes the 2013's a "buyers market" as far as getting a good deal. You have a wait and see situation on the 2014's.

As mentioned previously, you must consider saving money versus problem solved. If it were me, I would be waiting to see that the fix really works. I am demanding enough that I want a machine to work and stay working without a bunch of issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%, IF BRP WILL NOT DO THIS OR FIX THE PROBLEM AT THEIR EXPENSE THEN WE SHOULD SEEK LEGAL ADVISE ON CLASS ACTION SUIT AND TURN OUR CASES INTO EACH STATES LEMON LAWS. ONE TRAGIC CASE OF AN OWNER BEING BLOWN UP OR SERIOUS INJURY FROM DESIGN FLAW WOULD COST BRP MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND TERRIBLE REPUTATION THAT COULD PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS. IF THEIR TOP PEOPLE HAD ANY COMMON SENSE THEY WOULD GIVE EACH 2013 OWNER THE BODY PANELS IF THAT IS THE FIX, OR GIVE THEM NEW SPYDERS IF THEY CANNOT FIX THE 2013 ST'S AND RT'S. A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE IS A INJURY ATTORNEY AND HE INFORMED ME THAT LAWYERS LOVE THESE PRODUCT LIABILITY TYPE LAW SUITS AND HE HAS CHECKED INTO THIS BRP HEAT, FIRE, ETC. AND HE SAYS IF THEY GET SUED AND GO BEFORE A JURY THEIR CHANCES OF WINNNING ARE ONE IN A MILLION, THEIR OWN RECALL LETTER ADMITS THEY ARE LIABLE. LETS HOPE BRP READS THIS AND WAKES UP, THEY WILL BE SUED AND THEY WILL HAVE WISHED THEY TOOK THE EASY CHEAP WAY OUT AND DID WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO FIX THE BODILY INJURY SUITS WHICH WOULD BE CAUSED BY THEIR PRODUCT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxman View Post
    I AGREE WITH YOU 100%, IF BRP WILL NOT DO THIS OR FIX THE PROBLEM AT THEIR EXPENSE THEN WE SHOULD SEEK LEGAL ADVISE ON CLASS ACTION SUIT AND TURN OUR CASES INTO EACH STATES LEMON LAWS. ONE TRAGIC CASE OF AN OWNER BEING BLOWN UP OR SERIOUS INJURY FROM DESIGN FLAW WOULD COST BRP MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND TERRIBLE REPUTATION THAT COULD PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS. IF THEIR TOP PEOPLE HAD ANY COMMON SENSE THEY WOULD GIVE EACH 2013 OWNER THE BODY PANELS IF THAT IS THE FIX, OR GIVE THEM NEW SPYDERS IF THEY CANNOT FIX THE 2013 ST'S AND RT'S. A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE IS A INJURY ATTORNEY AND HE INFORMED ME THAT LAWYERS LOVE THESE PRODUCT LIABILITY TYPE LAW SUITS AND HE HAS CHECKED INTO THIS BRP HEAT, FIRE, ETC. AND HE SAYS IF THEY GET SUED AND GO BEFORE A JURY THEIR CHANCES OF WINNNING ARE ONE IN A MILLION, THEIR OWN RECALL LETTER ADMITS THEY ARE LIABLE. LETS HOPE BRP READS THIS AND WAKES UP, THEY WILL BE SUED AND THEY WILL HAVE WISHED THEY TOOK THE EASY CHEAP WAY OUT AND DID WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO FIX THE BODILY INJURY SUITS WHICH WOULD BE CAUSED BY THEIR PRODUCT.
    There are a number of flaws in your thinking here. First, the "heat problems" people are complaining about are quite variable. One owner complains about heat on the right foot, another about the gas tank and gas cap, yet another the crotch/seat area, and also the master cylinder/evap canister problems. Different models confuse the issue. Although these problems may be very real, and may make the Spyder unsuitable or less comfortable to use, they are not the same, and use of a general "it's too hot" complaints would not go very far legally, in my opinion. Furthermore, complaints regarding the items addressed by the recall would not be considered at all, unless the recall repairs did not resolve the specific problems addressed...namely melting of the master cylinder manifold or evap canister. Also be aware that only about half the states have lemon laws applicable to motorcycles, so an overall suit would have to be brought to Federal court under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act, and be much more difficult to win. Complaints, especially written ones backed with dates and specifics, are appropriate. Numbers are important, so the more people that complain in the appropriate fashion the better. Courtesy and and calmness are also important...threats are almost always ignored, especially threats of legal action. Beat down the doors, make your voices heard, but do it in a manner that gets results instead of just causing a defensive response. Yelling and threatening like you have done here bears little fruit. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I was told BRP was not testing 2014 panels on 2013's, but if something changes...they will contact me......won't be holding my breath
    Even today @55F my seat was toasty warm like it was heated electrically.

If they started testing 2014 panels on 2013s to solve "the heat issue" then they are in-as-much admitting there is a heat issue. Their lawyers won't allow this.

I was told yesterday by BRP that the 2014 panels are an "enhancement to the appearance of the new models, not a fix for old models" and are only being offered as after purchase addons to older models as an appearance enhancer.

It was eloquently worded in such a way that only a legal department would love.

If given the choice of doing nothing and having to pay for them myself, I'll just pay for the damn things so I can ride. But it will certainly impact my decision to give BRP money next time.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    If given the choice of doing nothing and having to pay for them myself, I'll just pay for the damn things so I can ride.
    I couldn't agree more, an ST sitting in the garage and the driver fuming over BRP response doesn't get anyone riding. Someone needs to get their hands on a set of 2014 side panels and do some real world testing with a 2013. There has to be a progressive dealer out there that can do some in-house testing and broadcast the results and then offer a HEAT RELIEF PANEL PACKAGE. I think this is a aftermarket opportunity for someone to develop custom side panels that give the 2013 a "new" unique look and relieve some of the heat issues.

After all, what SpyderLover doesn't love a new farkle and one that really improves the ride and the value of our ride.
    Last edited by KAPike; 09-21-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST-S Heat Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I own a 2013 ST-Limited with a serious heat problem, and have written emails, made phone calls, PM BRP STEVE, and complained to the dealership from day one, so far got no where, but count me onboard for whatever needs to be done to get rid of the HEAT PROBLEM
    @ New Owner of 2013 ST-S and have the extreme heat problem. Please count me in on what needs to be done . I have filed report with NHTSA and Brp. I have not had any response or answer from them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There are a number of flaws in your thinking here. First, the "heat problems" people are complaining about are quite variable. One owner complains about heat on the right foot, another about the gas tank and gas cap, yet another the crotch/seat area, and also the master cylinder/evap canister problems. Different models confuse the issue. Although these problems may be very real, and may make the Spyder unsuitable or less comfortable to use, they are not the same, and use of a general "it's too hot" complaints would not go very far legally, in my opinion. Furthermore, complaints regarding the items addressed by the recall would not be considered at all, unless the recall repairs did not resolve the specific problems addressed...namely melting of the master cylinder manifold or evap canister. Also be aware that only about half the states have lemon laws applicable to motorcycles, so an overall suit would have to be brought to Federal court under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act, and be much more difficult to win. Complaints, especially written ones backed with dates and specifics, are appropriate. Numbers are important, so the more people that complain in the appropriate fashion the better. Courtesy and and calmness are also important...threats are almost always ignored, especially threats of legal action. Beat down the doors, make your voices heard, but do it in a manner that gets results instead of just causing a defensive response. Yelling and threatening like you have done here bears little fruit. JMHO
    I THINK YOU MISSED THE BOAT HERE. I AM TALKING ABOUT IF BRP DOES NOT FIX THIS POTENTIAL SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR WORSE SITUATION WHICH THEY ADMIT IS A HAZARD AND DESIGN FLAW AND IT IS THE CAUSE OF AN ACCIDENT, DISABILITY OR DEATH, THE INJURED PARTIES WILL SUE, WOULD NOT YOU? JUST AS YOU WOULD OR ANY SANE PERSON WOULD TAKE LEGAL ACTION. YOUR ENTIRE REPLY GOES ON ABOUT WHO IS COMPLAINING AND ABOUT WHAT. MINE ARE THE FACTS CONCERNING LIABILITY, BRP ADMITS IT IS A FIRE HAZARD!!!! NEED ANYTHING MORE BE SAID? I WILL NOT READ ANY FURTHER REPLIES ON THIS SUBJECT, NOR REPLY TO THEM. THE FACTS ARE CLEAR, NO ONE IS THREATING LEGAL ACTION ONLY IF IT IS CALLED FOR BY PRODUCT DESIGN FAULTS THAT CAUSE ACCIDENTS, INJURY OR WORSE. LIKE I SAID EITHER YOU GET IT OR YOU DON'T. LIKE I ALSO SAID, I WILL NOT READ OR REPLY TO ANYTHING FURTHER SAID ON THIS SUBJECT.