Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone been told this about top speed why it won't go above 105 mph

When I asked my dealer why I can't get but a top speed of 104 on my 2012 rt limited, with more left on the rpm gauge before red line. I was told they are programmed from the factory to be limited and in fact the horsepower is around 160 hp but limited to 110 all done with a program. We can chip our trucks to pour out more power so what gives. Is this really truth or a myth anyone can help with the answer. I was also told he had a computer programmer who did it at a nice fee of course, but it would void the warranty as they can detect the mod if they ran a diagnostic on the spyder. I know over 100 is a bit fast but I'm kinda a speed junkie so please do tell if anyone knows for sure happy riding

Spyder Garage

I think all vehicles sold today have limits set in there tunes.

Most trucks and vans are limited to 110 mph.

US sport cars can range from 130 to 155 mph.

Mustangs and Vettes I believe are both set at 155.

Of course for cars and trucks you can change that w a tuner, not sure how the motorcycle world works?

Spyder Garage

A Bugatti Veyron is governed to 253mph.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

Of course for cars and trucks you can change that w a tuner, not sure how the motorcycle world works?

- Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

your dealer is lying to you...
    Aerodynamics limits the top end; not electronics!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some are govern only at 68 doing over will blow some rod. Sorry I can't help it.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

The original RS/Gs was supposed to be limited to 110 MPH. They must have forgotten to do that since I took mine up to an honest 114 or about 120 on the Speedo. I am not certain it was maxed out at that speed but I was.

Spyder Garage

Your dealer is full of hooey! None of the US Spyders has ever been governed. They do have rev limiters, however. The Aprilia Rotax engine that the Spyder developed from has 134 horsepower in its highest production form, I believe, but it is done with hard parts, not just ECM programming. You can't just throw in a chip or reprogram it. Even if you could, the Spyder needs the additional torque that the detuned engine provides. The RT is listed as 100 horsepower (calculated) at the bare crank. It has 95 actual horsepower at the end of the crank as certified on the C of O. It doesn't have sufficient horsepower to overcome the wind resistance at higher speeds, and reach its redline. Sorry you can't bounce it off the rev limiter in high gear without a steep hill and/or a stiff tailwind.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default SPEED GOVERNOR

Quote Originally Posted by Old141fe View Post
    When I asked my dealer why I can't get but a top speed of 104 on my 2012 rt limited, with more left on the rpm gauge before red line. I was told they are programmed from the factory to be limited and in fact the horsepower is around 160 hp but limited to 110 all done with a program. We can chip our trucks to pour out more power so what gives. Is this really truth or a myth anyone can help with the answer. I was also told he had a computer programmer who did it at a nice fee of course, but it would void the warranty as they can detect the mod if they ran a diagnostic on the spyder. I know over 100 is a bit fast but I'm kinda a speed junkie so please do tell if anyone knows for sure happy riding
    We found this out last summer going thru back roads in No. Wa. Got to 103, then nothing! Oh well. Just as well. We need to be thoughtful of our children who may miss us! LOL

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Why

Hey the fastest I have been was 90 two up, and that was too fast. Why would you want to go over 104.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

104 -106 fastest the RT will propel itself on flat ground. HOWEVER, I have had mine to 109 going down a steep hill. I am going to say that it isn't governed. I think if you were on a long enough hill and you had a good tail wind you could red line it. Still wouldn't be much over 115 or so.

Spyder Garage

Default Limiter..!!

they do have a rev limiter. If you just roll on the throttle standing still it will kick in but I have run our RS sm5 with no added baggage or wind shields to 117 mph and ran out of road. Was fast enough for me. Did not hit the rev limiter even then...but then RS's have more hp's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The key here is; the dealer is blowing smoke... do you want to know where that smoke is going??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

My Ford GT (2006) is not governed. Factory rated top speed of 210. I have only been to 178.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    A Bugatti Veyron is governed to 253mph.
    Yup...253 mph and in NY, if you get stopped at that speed you will be arrested fro reckless endangerment and spend a bit of time in the crowbar hotel!!!! With that said...100 or 100+ is most definitely fast enough for anyone. Ryde safe my friend ryde safe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old141fe View Post
    Did that salesman try to sell you the Golden Gate Bridge too? WOW

I still haven't gotten my Red RT to 110 (max right now is 100, haven't had the guts to push it yet...), but I've had Gray go to 120 and the RS-S has passed 115. If you have an SE5 I believe the rev limitations are more strict than on the SM5... BUt as Scotty said, the 110 HP is set on the torquing of the engine, not the Nanny.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Yup...253 mph and in NY, if you get stopped at that speed you will be arrested fro reckless endangerment and spend a bit of time in the crowbar hotel!!!! With that said...100 or 100+ is most definitely fast enough for anyone. Ryde safe my friend ryde safe"

They'd just lock you up; and then throw away the entire jail!

Spyder Garage

In reality my GPS says my top speed is well under 100, around 97 or so. Going down hill it pushed 100. My speedo is off by about 2+%

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    In reality my GPS says my top speed is well under 100, around 97 or so. Going down hill it pushed 100. My speedo is off by about 2+%
    ^^^^Yeah most spyder speedos over-estimate. If it says 105 on the dash, you're probably doing 98.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

I believe that when auto manufacturers limit top speed it in conjunction with the tires max speed spec. They will not sell a high performance car that will go faster than the original tire top speed spec. My 09 ZO6 Vette had a top speed of 198. (Couldn't prove it by me tho!)
    I'm not telling how close I got.

Spyder Garage

uh.....um....did I join in a sport bike forum??? discussing going over 100 mph on a Spyder....needs to refresh....must be a computer glitch....

Spyder Garage

I like speed. Both these are Mercedes AMG with the factory delimited oprion to 174 MPH. And no , I haven't had either over 160. At 160 stuff starts to happen a lot faster than you can make good judgements.

I love the ST for the pure fun. Can someone tell me how fast an RS will run

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!
    Last edited by rabtech; 09-20-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

^^^^^My S63 will be here in 2 months!

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    ^^^^^My S63 will be here in 2 months!

That is one of my favorites. When you see the E63 it kinda looks sporty so you know its probably gonna run, When you see the S63 it looks so much like a luxury liner that you sure as heck don't expect it to tear a hole thru the pavement. But they all have one thing in common. 550 is the least HP that you can have in one. And some are turning up to 730hp. So if you see the AMG badge on the right side of the trunk you know its gonna be fun.

Here was one of my favorites. It was tuned in Atlanta to try to kill you every time you got on the throttle. I had it shipped from Monterey CA. I guess u can tell I'm kinda partial to Mercedes. I just took delivery of a 2014 GL350 Bluetec diesel. I am so impressed. My wife was totally against the diesel since she always had a GL550. I told her she needed to try it. It gets 600 miles to a tank. She loves it now.

Last edited by rabtech; 09-21-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default King of the Hill!

The BEAST OF ALL BEASTS!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    The BEAST OF ALL BEASTS!!!!!!!!!

Im not worthy of replying on the same post as this picture.... Hail to the king baby!!

This is going to be a beast!

I just noticed your location. In 2011 I bought a GL550 from Jackson Mercedes. Is that your dealership.

I actually suprised my wife there when I bought the GL. She was all upset because I traded off her 2009 GL550 for the E63. She complained every day about having to drive a car. And she complained about being so low to the ground. I did the trade without asking her first. Let me say that it was a BAD idea to sell her GL.

I called my dealer in Huntsville and he said that he could not get me a GL. For some reason there was a southeast shortage. (And they build them 80 miles from my house) So I found this one in Jackson. I called and we struck a deal. So I had them get it ready. It was sitting in the delivery bay right by the parts dept.
    I told my wife we were going to Jackson to pick up a new motorcycle. I always like to look at cars so she didn't think anything about me pulling into the dealership. I went in with her and walked around and was greeted by the salesman. I told him what she normally drove and he said that he had one in the new car delivery bay being prepped for delivery. She had no clue it was hers. I let her get in and he handed the key to her and said that it was hers. All I can say is it was priceless to see her expression. AND I GOT OUT OF THE DOGHOUSE!!!
    Last edited by rabtech; 09-21-2013 at 01:45 PM.