View Poll Results: How many 2013 ST/RS owners have "excessive heat issues"?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have what I consider excessive heat issues

19 59.38%
  • No, I don't have what I consider excessive heat

13 40.63%
    Spyder Garage

Default How many 2013 ST(S) owners have heat issues?

Let's collect some data here...

How many 2013 ST/ST-S owners have what they consider to be "excessive heat issues"?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just for the record....I have a 2013 ST-Limited with 10,000 miles

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

2013 ST-S with 1,000 miles. No heat issues, no other issues.

Spyder Garage

What about the RT's???

Spyder Garage

Default sorry

i own a 13 rt/s and i voted so sorry
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have an RTS not an RS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2013 STS two weeks ago: During a 50 mile ride the brakes failed. My master cylinder melted to the point that brake fluid was pouring all over my driveway. My Spyder was billowing so much smoke I thought it was on fire (possibly was). Luckily I was pulling into my driveway when it started to smoke.

My spyder was just under 600 miles.

It was actually a pretty cool day, maybe 65 degrees.

Spyder Garage

melted MC cap at 2600 miles
    one of the pre-recall fixes applied by brp
    boiling/sizzling gas when low
    very high heat in the inner thigh and crotch area when over 85F ambient (as in 1st degree burns)
    measured under seat temps (gas cap area) of 300F after interstate travel.
    extreme gas vapors when parked in garage after interstate travel.
    Last edited by Sny; 09-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default video / pic when overheating

Has anyone taken a video or pic when the spyder over heats and starts spewing fluid? With most people having a camera it would be good to send that to the gov't, could not hurt.

Spyder Garage

2013 ST-S, but I only have 100 miles so far. No issues. I have my recall parts on order.

Also plan on taking the panels off after doing the recall and try to cover what I see fit w some lava heat shield. I don't feel like being stranded. It is a shame, but I don't see BRP doing a single thing til someone gets hurt and it goes to court....that is the only time it seems major manufacturers do anything.

Spyder Garage

I feel terrible for all you 2013 riders who are having temp problems. Seems like they just covered up too many holes with body work. BRP needs to absolutely take care of you even to the point of giving you new 2014's if they can't solve the problem.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

I just wonder...............
    Since the 2013 seems to be a 2012 engine in a 2014 frame, do you think the radiators can be relocated to the 2014 position ?
    It won't help with the gas mileage, but it might help with the heat.

Just a thought.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Let's just say I'm glad I've already had all my kids... 'Cause I've get some crotch pot cooking going on with my 13 RT.

Spyder Garage

Hey, get outta here, this is the ST thread!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STLimited with heat issues and faulty components related to the heat. Also ad the recall for alignment first then for the ball joints. Ave had the recall done for heat shielding and yes it is still cooking my family jewels here in Texas. Just a matter of time before something else fails due to the heat affecting the integrity of the components. I don't want $3000.00 but would rather enjoy a bike I feel safe on riding more than just to the corner store and back. I would rather a straight trade for a 2014 ST. Keep my payoff and note the same. I entered an agreement and will fulfill my end but BRP reds to do the same to honor that contract with me for a safe vehicle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hw many 2013 ST(S) owners have heat issues

2013 STS. Extremely hot on thighs and ankles. Had to use T-shirt to open gas cap after burning finger tips. Had recall done today and before I made it home my inner thighs were smoking. 70 degrees outside with breezy weather and 50 mile ride. Its too cool for a vehicle to be running this hot.

Spyder Garage

Default More Heat than a 2008, but not excessive

So I have over 2,000 miles on a 2013 ST-S in three weeks. This is after riding 65,000 miles on a pair of 2008 GS SM-5s. I can tell you the 2013 is a little hotter on the left knee than the 2008s and I can tell the gas cap is warmer when I grab it, but nothing I would consider excessive. As for how it is ridden, it is ridden hard. One day I rode 546 miles from 8 AM to 5 PM in 95 degree heat (NO interstate or U.S. Highways) and it really was no concern, but I could feel more heat on my left knee. My rear tire is going to be bald in the middle by 3,000 miles so I do not baby the thing.

Clearly some units suffer from this more than others. BRP makes decisions based on documented facts, not how many complain on a forum. BRP sells units to their dealers, not consumer direct. If you want something to happen, BRP needs to see the hard data from their dealers. Unhappy owners need to work through their dealers so the issues can be documented and the data analyzed by BRP. This is going to do more in the long run for them to determine the root cause of the heat issues, they need the facts, not just complaining. Decisions are made based on hard facts and data supplied by their dealer network, analyzing serial numbers, ECU software versions and even vendor supply sequences. Who knows, maybe there is a bad batch of sensors that is supplying bad info to the ECU and the hot units are running leaner than they should? More airflow is a good thing, but my guess is there will be more to this than just heat shields and air intake. Why are some spark plugs ghost white? Are these the same units as the ones getting hot? They need to document all of this and it will get resolved, just my opinion.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default heat issues

I have the ST-L with 3400 miles. Lots of heat!!!! Have to keep my legs away from the bike or I get burned, and I do wear jeans. (Still love my Spyder though!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default heat issues

My STL is in the shop for the recall as well as the tail lights front fender lights and the license plate lights are not working could be heat related? will find out more tomorrow when i pick it up. I know that on the days that i ride in temps over 80 degrees the engine really starts to run rough and tends to stall the dealer said the stalling should stop after the engine is broken in and is due to tight tolerances i now have 4000 miles on and it still stalls when it is hot out. as we are pretty much out of the summer season I will not know if this symptom is still happening until next summer. And yes the STL tupper ware is way hotter than my wife's 2011 RT thank god i don't live down south i can just imagine how uncomfortable and stressful it must be riding in 90 to 100 degree heat and not knowing if you are safe or riding a time bomb or what ? We all deserve a stress free ride not a stress mess ride. I do love my can am but no longer have the warm fuzzy feeling that i should have after spending 27,000 dollars

Spyder Garage

Default ....

Quote Originally Posted by charles4690 View Post
    2013 STS. Extremely hot on thighs and ankles. Had to use T-shirt to open gas cap after burning finger tips. Had recall done today and before I made it home my inner thighs were smoking. 70 degrees outside with breezy weather and 50 mile ride. Its too cool for a vehicle to be running this hot.
    If you take off the panels you can see the exhaust is too close to the panels and also the oil reservoir and hose ... $200 worth of heat shield materials and I've cut the heat by 50% but still hot. Also, going to add a fan to try and suck some of that heat out from the tupperwear!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    So I have over 2,000 miles on a 2013 ST-S in three weeks. This is after riding 65,000 miles on a pair of 2008 GS SM-5s. I can tell you the 2013 is a little hotter on the left knee than the 2008s and I can tell the gas cap is warmer when I grab it, but nothing I would consider excessive. As for how it is ridden, it is ridden hard. One day I rode 546 miles from 8 AM to 5 PM in 95 degree heat (NO interstate or U.S. Highways) and it really was no concern, but I could feel more heat on my left knee. My rear tire is going to be bald in the middle by 3,000 miles so I do not baby the thing. Clearly some units suffer from this more than others. BRP makes decisions based on documented facts, not how many complain on a forum. BRP sells units to their dealers, not consumer direct. If you want something to happen, BRP needs to see the hard data from their dealers. Unhappy owners need to work through their dealers so the issues can be documented and the data analyzed by BRP. This is going to do more in the long run for them to determine the root cause of the heat issues, they need the facts, not just complaining. Decisions are made based on hard facts and data supplied by their dealer network, analyzing serial numbers, ECU software versions and even vendor supply sequences. Who knows, maybe there is a bad batch of sensors that is supplying bad info to the ECU and the hot units are running leaner than they should? More airflow is a good thing, but my guess is there will be more to this than just heat shields and air intake. Why are some spark plugs ghost white? Are these the same units as the ones getting hot? They need to document all of this and it will get resolved, just my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    So I have over 2,000 miles on a 2013 ST-S in three weeks. This is after riding 65,000 miles on a pair of 2008 GS SM-5s. I can tell you the 2013 is a little hotter on the left knee than the 2008s and I can tell the gas cap is warmer when I grab it, but nothing I would consider excessive. As for how it is ridden, it is ridden hard. One day I rode 546 miles from 8 AM to 5 PM in 95 degree heat (NO interstate or U.S. Highways) and it really was no concern, but I could feel more heat on my left knee. My rear tire is going to be bald in the middle by 3,000 miles so I do not baby the thing.

Clearly some units suffer from this more than others. BRP makes decisions based on documented facts, not how many complain on a forum. BRP sells units to their dealers, not consumer direct. If you want something to happen, BRP needs to see the hard data from their dealers. Unhappy owners need to work through their dealers so the issues can be documented and the data analyzed by BRP. This is going to do more in the long run for them to determine the root cause of the heat issues, they need the facts, not just complaining. Decisions are made based on hard facts and data supplied by their dealer network, analyzing serial numbers, ECU software versions and even vendor supply sequences. Who knows, maybe there is a bad batch of sensors that is supplying bad info to the ECU and the hot units are running leaner than they should? More airflow is a good thing, but my guess is there will be more to this than just heat shields and air intake. Why are some spark plugs ghost white? Are these the same units as the ones getting hot? They need to document all of this and it will get resolved, just my opinion.
    I agree with most of what you have to say but I think that BRP also needs to hear directly from the owners. Some dealers do not pass the info on to the factory so we need to pass it on to them directly. I don't think that this survey will accomplish anything but I think that everyone who responds should send an email to BRP to register their complaint.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Please send complaints to http://www.nhtsa.gov/ and also to brp...work with your dealer and make sure you get a case #.....do not let them close your file until everything is good on your unit....my husband could probably fix my heat issues....but we purchased a Spyder in good faith that it would take me around this country and Canada....and it will not....BRP needs to step up.......if you continue to fix the problems on the Spyders BRP will do nothing.....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT-S Heat Problems

Mine has been to the dealer several times including RECALL. BRP says there are NO Heat issues. How does BRP explain my MELTING MC & WIRING HARNESS and who knows what else?
    I also filed a complaint with BRP and NHTSA.

Melting 8.jpgRT-S Wire Harness.jpg

Dealer Tech did the recall, see results http://www.spydertechnician.blogspot.com
    Even with the recall done the HEAT ISSUES are still there
    Last edited by OWISE1; 09-22-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow with Black Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes, head problem

My wife has a 2013 ST-S and she had complained about heat problems since she has had it but I did not think that there was anything that could be done about it. She has excessive heat on both feet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
    My wife has a 2013 ST-S and she had complained about heat problems since she has had it but I did not think that there was anything that could be done about it. She has excessive heat on both feet.

Search around the site a bit. There are a few improvements you can make.

From expensive....changing the side panels $700....to not so much, adding an aftermarket air filter like JT's filter. $200

Some other little things like bottom panel removal or modding....