Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST or 2014 ST?

So I waited and now have to decide if I should go with a 2013 ST that comes with a nice discount or a 2014 ST that will no doubt cost MSRP.

I'm thinking 2013 - upgrade with 2014 panels to address the heat issues - and perhaps upgrade the rims with the 2014s.

I really like the 2014 ST-S in Cognac but like the 2013 ST Limited in white as well. I could see adding a black trunk on the 13.

What are the reasons a 14 makes more sense?

I'm curious what people think? This will be my first Spyder and I'm debating between that and a Harley soft tail Breakout.

Spyder Garage

If the discount is big enough (say 3K or more), and financing incentives are aggressive (2% or less), I'd probably do 13.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having "upgraded" a few bikes ... Pop for the 2014; it'll save you time and money in the long haul!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks - was curious if the 2014 upgrades (LEDs, shocks, new panels) are worth the extra $$$. I think I can get a ST limited for below $20K and a ST-S for below $17K.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you go with a 13...make sure the recalls and service bulletins have all been done....front end wobble... stability links replaced, if #4...master cylinder/canister recall...are there any more or is that it?.....good luck and enjoy no matter which way you go

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob - I did wonder what it would cost to take a 2013 and add the 2014 updates minus the shocks of course. I can see an advantage to just going with a 14. I'm curious when they'll hit the showroom floor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good tip. Probably worth just going with a 14 since they've had a year to work out the bugs. It says 14's have a "refined front fender with LED lights". Has anyone seen a 14 up close that can comment on the difference between a 13?

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices..!!

I have to say all the heat issues and postings here may put doubt in your mind. The 2014 has changes addressing these issues and some other bells and whistles. If you have to add those extras to the 2013 you will likely come to the same place. If not planning on farkeling (can't be done) then the savings would be a big plus. They still have some heat issues to deal with and don't know if new panels are on your dime...tough decision good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will take 2014 JMHO But I's you final decision. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am going to take a ST limited for a spin this weekend now that I have my license.

I think the 14 is the best option after hearing from everyone.

Spyder Garage

If your ONE of the Unlucky ones who get a 13 with heat problems (Sorta Like rolling the Dice?) you will surely wish you got the 2014 because there,s NO price on being unhappy and unsatisfied with a High End Toy like this!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST or 2014 ST

Once the '14 ST's hit the dealers I would see what the '13 discounts will be. BRP seems to have solved the melting MC cap and evap canister problem with the recall and you can buy 2014 panels to put on the '13 to help with the heat.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Who says the 14 will be any better - all people talk about on here is the new RT. I realize its the bread and butter but what about the ST. I'm hoping to find a review online of the ST so if you have one pass it on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The changes to the 2014 St line should certainly do the trick.
    But some "saddle time" may be needed in order to prove it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am neither going to diss the 2013 or endorse the 2014 ST on this one. I cannot speak from experience on either one of those models. There has been much written on actual performance issues on the 2013. The 2014 stuff now depends on what actually happens.

You will save money on 2013's--because they have to clear them off the inventory. I am guessing--not so favorable financial advantages on the 2014's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-18-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Fair enough

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It all depends on the price I got a ST-S in July with the back rack and passenger backrest installed and paid 17900 + tax no prep fees. And I don't know if it is because it was built later in the year but I have no heat issues at all and am very happy with it, If I could save 3 to 4 thousand I would do the 13

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlt31971 View Post
    It all depends on the price I got a ST-S in July with the back rack and passenger backrest installed and paid 17900 + tax no prep fees. And I don't know if it is because it was built later in the year but I have no heat issues at all and am very happy with it, If I could save 3 to 4 thousand I would do the 13
    Interesting - wonder if it's sporadic - BRP should keep metrics.

Spyder Garage

I am in same situation that you are in. I just got my MC license also with the intent on getting a Spyder. I was going to purchase a 13 STL with all of the big discounts. But with all the issues and now the 14's are out with the new front air vents and I love the Cognac. I am thinking wait until spring, some early buyers will put on some miles with hopefully no issues. Then I will pay most likely full price but also have piece of mind that the problems have resolved. But only time will tell.

Spyder Garage

What about wait for a 2015. Hopefully it will have the 1330 with the 6 speed!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    That would be nice but it sucks having to wait another year and if they don't come out with the new engine for 15 then I lost a year. I'm thinking about picking up a cheap 2 wheeler between now and then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium