Spyder Garage

Default Road Position Saved My Life Today.

Whew! There are lots of reasons to establish an outside-inside-outside line in turns, and to brake before the turn, roll on the throttle through the turn....doing this increases turning radius, allows more visibility around the turn, more separation from oncomming traffic, and maximizes availabe traction.

Today it saved my life! Really.

I was driving in the mountains, taking a right curve, outside-inside-outside, starting to roll on the throttle. BIG TRUCK...TOO HOT IN THE TURN...OVER THE YELLOW LINE...HEADED FOR ME...relax, relax, swerve right, plenty of pavement, SWERVE NOW! Lifted right wheel. Nanny kicked in...did not collide with the truck. Whew.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Phew!! Time for fresh underwear!!
    Well done Dan!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Well done Dan!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Whew! There are lots of reasons to establish an outside-inside-outside line in turns, and to brake before the turn, roll on the throttle through the turn....doing this increases turning radius, allows more visibility around the turn, more separation from oncomming traffic, and maximizes availabe traction.

I was driving in the mountains, taking a right curve, outside-inside-outside, starting to roll on the throttle. BIG TRUCK...TOO HOT IN THE TURN...OVER THE YELLOW LINE...HEADED FOR ME...relax, relax, swerve right, plenty of pavement, SWERVE NOW! Lifted right wheel. Nanny kicked in...did not collide with the truck. Whew.
    ? How can u lift a right wheel in a righthand curve

Spyder Garage

Righthand wheel is the inside wheel in a right curve, if something is gonna come up, that'll be it.

john

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got through all that safely.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    ? How can u lift a right wheel in a righthand curve
    Generally what happens next is a flip over.. However nanny saved the day. Good to hear nothing bad happened.
    2008 GS , Brisk Spark Plug - BOR10LGS Blk/yelllow

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

nanny does not like flip overs and does a good job at avoiding them. My problem now is the mods I have done to the suspension upsets the nanny way to often. Wish they had put settings on the vss like tour and sport ryding... Glad you kept a cool head and pull out of it with only the scare..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you're OK! It's very important to learn these valuable techniques when riding. Good quick thinking!

2015 F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    12V Power Outlet
    Battery Tender Pigtail
    Blue Ridge Windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackspyder View Post
    Glad you're OK! It's very important to learn these valuable techniques when riding. Good quick thinking!
    The MC training course saved my snarkey a$$.

It was a 2 wheeler course...even so, I recommend it for everyone...even car drivers!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Three things actually saved your bacon...good riding technique, the VSS feature, and not riding at the edge of the envelope. I'm sure you know what I mean, but I will explain for those who don't. Riding at the performance limit of your machine or the limits of your skill, pushing physics to its limits, does not leave any margin to allow evasive maneuvers, even with a nanny. If you are at the adhesion limits of your tires, the most lateral force your machine can take without lifting a wheel or sliding out, or riding faster than the distance you can see and react, there is not going to be a happy ending in a situation like this. If you are on a race track or controlled course, and are familiar with it, by all means feel free to push the envelope, but if you are on a public road where you cannot control or are not aware of the conditions...opposing traffic, sand or gravel in the road, off camber turns, potholes, wet pavement, slow traffic ahead, etc., leave yourself a little wiggle room. Your survival may depend on it. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Riding at the performance limit of your machine or the limits of your skill, pushing physics to its limits, does not leave any margin to allow evasive maneuvers, even with a nanny. If you are at the adhesion limits of your tires, the most lateral force your machine can take without lifting a wheel or sliding out, or riding faster than the distance you can see and react, there is not going to be a happy ending in a situation like this. If you are on a race track or controlled course, and are familiar with it, by all means feel free to push the envelope
    Even on the track they teach us how to push it without reaching the limits for very long.

Braking a little more going into a turn, then late apexing a corner before rolling on the throttle puts you out of harms way that much longer, and minimizes the duration of time that you are near the end of your traction budget.

You only sacrifice a small amount of speed in the corner for a whole lot more options coming out of it which is where all the exciting things happen.

Plus it's a lot easier to brake hard and make a slower turn than it is to precisely judge how much to brake before turning into a mid-apex corner.

For those who practice outside-inside-outside, try aiming for inside past the midpoint of the turn and see what I mean. It makes for a no-fan-fare turn which is, by all right, boring... but 99% as quick around the corner and 500% safer.

Glad you came thru safely Dan
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

big phew....
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Well done Dan!

OH yeah

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for putting yourself in the postion of being able to tell your story!
    Ride smart; ride aware!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NexVision View Post
    Generally what happens next is a flip over.. However nanny saved the day. Good to hear nothing bad happened.
    It is extremely difficult to flip a Spyder. Of all the hair raising events and even collisions reported here, there have been a very small number of Spyders actually flip. I am guessing 2 total (could be off on this but even if you double this figure we are looking at a total of 4).

The Spyder may FEEL like it wants to flip over, in reality it just isn't something that happens in the real world.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I bet the pucker kept you from sliding on the seat as well.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    I bet the pucker kept you from sliding on the seat as well.
    Yep! Suction. Works every time!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Well done Dan!
    I'll bet there was a pucker factor of 932 on that one. Good job on avoiding the truck.
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post

Glad everything worked out for you. I have been there myself, but it was a Harley, not a truck.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold