Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2015 RS

Spyder Garage

Did some looking at that aerocharger turbo kit and it's only up to 2012 RS models as of now, but the cost of kit is pricey but comparing it to another new bike or pulling the motor out and doing a swap to a bigger one it's not too bad. and the horsepower increase is pretty decent using only 7 pounds of boost and there smallest turbo available.

The price for higher horsepower and speed usually is not cheap in any vehicle.

Spyder Garage

you know why older riders buy the RT?

most of us cant support 2 wheelers any more...... and we want to drive a touring bike, not a crotch rocket

the sky is NOT falling

the end is NOT near

you want to leave everyone in the dust? buy a crotch rocket
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    most likely it wouldn't fit under the hood, but if it did, the 6 speed and the additional mileage would be well worth the wait. (not to mention the longer service intervals)
    Maybe someone can find it but I read a quote of someone from BRP stating that the new engine is the next step for ALL Spyder models. Can't find it right now. Patience can be hard.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    You guys are upset now.....but they are gonna blow you away next year. Mark my words.......something BIG is brewing for the RS. Mark my words....
    I sincerely hope so. Just a wild thought here: I loved the 1000 cc semi-direct injected twin that was in the Mach Z when ski-doo brought it back in 2005. Is there any way we can get something like that in an RS? That motor was so linear and smooth it was unbelievable. I have seen dyno numbers that average around 170 hp, and the clutch did not have to engage at 4000 rpms to make it feel fast. It could be so mellow on the bottom end that I would let my 8 year old daughter ride it, but I was always the first person across the lake when I rode it. As I recall the SDI motors were better on emissions than 4-stroke engines, and I remember the mileage on that motor being much better than my 800 powertek. I like the new 800R e-tec motors too. Ski-doo has always been good to me when I have needed a speed fix. From the original Mach Zed with the 798 triple, to the 670 HO with it's 44mm flat slides, and my 2007 X-RS with the 800 in it and the clutching that would give you forearm cramps. I only hope that 10 years from now I can be talking about the great motors Can Am has supplied me with.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    you know why older riders buy the RT?

most of us cant support 2 wheelers any more...... and we want to drive a touring bike, not a crotch rocket

the sky is NOT falling

the end is NOT near

you want to leave everyone in the dust? buy a crotch rocket
    Dont get me wrong I love riding my RS-S as it is without a doubt. This is mostly a wishful thinking if I could have everything I wanted type of thread.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    Well Guys, since there has been nothing done for us RS Ryders this year, let's hope for a next year.
    Looks like BRP took it by Diplomacy this year looking after elderly first aka ould farts = RT Riders - no offence gents therefore nothing to attract young Riders again, lets hope that we'll be given 150 BHP engine with 150 MPH max out next year and sell our old RS to the Girls
    I am putting my name down for Limited one seater supersport supercharged Edition of RS so somebody wake me up please whenever that happens or some other manufacturer comes to senses. Up until then - Ryde Safe.

I guess 47 is an old fart....

If you come to the states I'd gladly take you up on racing this 'old fart' on his RT on some of the twisties in the Smokies....

A 2014 RT would probably do even better... especially since you can just roll-on throttle without shifting......
    ------------------------------------------

I don't see the RS going away.

My bet is this:

They come out with a 600 CC entry level Spyder for around 12K.
    They come out with a more sporty RSS.... maybe the inline 3, or maybe a beefier V-twin... but if you want more HP... you're gonna pay.

Or maybe the entry level 600 replaces the RS, the ST gets some more power for the speed lovers.

Since they've done big things lately... the ST.... and now the new RT.... it would make sense the RS/S would be next for a serious makeover....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    So what you are saying is the Hayabusa, has a bigger rear tire than the spyder? If you step back and say you can't do it, you will most assuredly fail.
    The Spyder has weight distribution biased to the front. That is the big part of the issue there. Not a whole lot is going to change that. I've ridden a turbo spyder (aerocharger) and broke the rear loose in the first three gears without trying hard. Owner said he could do it in the first four. Unless you manufacture a new swing arm and go even fatter with a tire, that kind of power won't help you much.

I've also owned a ZX-12R which was the direct competitor to the busa... and was geared a bit lower. Keeping the nose on the ground was an issue... The opposite problem of the spyder but equally detrimental to control and speed. *Was fun though.

The spyder RS could use more grunt sure. They've added that to the RT. DO not assume that HP means everything as that new 3 banger brings a lot of torque to the party and that is the other side of the coin. You can have a lot of HP but if you aren't also delivering the torque, that kind of engine is not as useful on a Spyder.

Patience... Next year could finally be the year.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    The Spyder has weight distribution biased to the front. That is the big part of the issue there. Not a whole lot is going to change that. I've ridden a turbo spyder (aerocharger) and broke the rear loose in the first three gears without trying hard. Owner said he could do it in the first four. Unless you manufacture a new swing arm and go even fatter with a tire, that kind of power won't help you much.

I've also owned a ZX-12R which was the direct competitor to the busa... and was geared a bit lower. Keeping the nose on the ground was an issue... The opposite problem of the spyder but equally detrimental to control and speed. *Was fun though.

The spyder RS could use more grunt sure. They've added that to the RT. DO not assume that HP means everything as that new 3 banger brings a lot of torque to the party and that is the other side of the coin. You can have a lot of HP but if you aren't also delivering the torque, that kind of engine is not as useful on a Spyder.

Patience... Next year could finally be the year.
    Dan, thank you for proving a point w/o taking a shot at me.

I am not looking to blow donuts, or leave the back tire all over the neighborhood, but I do like the rush I get when I drop it down 2 gears to pass. I guess that my excitement is from "taming the beast". The vehicles we are talking about can be challenging to ride, but that is part of the fun.

The part that irritates me is the feeling of being "left out" of the fun. It makes me so mad I have to go for a ride to calm the mistress down.

See you on the road. Rubber down, shiny side up.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't see the RS going away.
    Since they've done big things lately... the ST.... and now the new RT.... it would make sense the RS/S would be next for a serious makeover....

*BING*
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    Dan, thank you for proving a point w/o taking a shot at me.

I am not looking to blow donuts, or leave the back tire all over the neighborhood, but I do like the rush I get when I drop it down 2 gears to pass. I guess that my excitement is from "taming the beast". The vehicles we are talking about can be challenging to ride, but that is part of the fun.

The part that irritates me is the feeling of being "left out" of the fun. It makes me so mad I have to go for a ride to calm the mistress down.

See you on the road. Rubber down, shiny side up.
    Just remember one thing. They did invest a lot in the GS/RS as that was the leading and only model for the first two production years. They took a huge risk in introducing the entire platform with the GS and they did make many improvements since 08. Now with three model lines, they have to be strategic and invest wisely. The improvements to all three in 2013 was setting the stage for better things to come - evidence is the 2014 RT. I'm dieing to read actual reviews now that the RT is a more potent and refined touring platform... The spyder might start getting more respect.

I think the butt hurt by the GS/RS crowd is largely due to the fact that we have been clamoring for a higher output engine, 6th gear and the like for a long time... and having all this land on the 2014 has us feeling a bit left out. I honestly think we are only 1 or 2 years at worse case of getting something similar in the RS and ST. I'd much rather be in this camp, in this situation than someone who is sitting on a 2013 RT and looking at the 2014 and wishing they had waited on the upgraded 2014's as they just sunk a ton of coin and farkles into their 2013 and can't justify a 2014 so soon. So - we are in an excellent position of at least having a clue as to what is in store for at least the ST and maybe the RS line *As long as we are willing to hold on to our GS/RS for the meantime.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER