Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

We are a minority but we are not orphans..through us a bone now and then...!! We RS ryders got nothing..colors don't count for nothing most of us have custom touches anyway. Different wheels were always available. But your right, it's the money and where they get it..ahh what the I love my RS and will ryde it till one of us dies...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I got a simple answer for you that will cost lest than half of a new Spyder.
    http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems...cycles/spyder/
    Dealers don't like them when you take your spyder in for warranty work though I would not mind trying one though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    We are a minority but we are not orphans..through us a bone now and then...!! We RS ryders got nothing..colors don't count for nothing most of us have custom touches anyway. Different wheels were always available. But your right, it's the money and where they get it..ahh what the I love my RS and will ryde it till one of us dies...!!

!00% AGREE, I love my RSS and can't see myself on a RT at least not for a long time. Enjoy hitting the twisties too much. Not much on the new colors, like the wheels but nothing else on mine has anything polished. half to break out the spray can.

Spyder Garage

There is much to love about the new enhancements to the RT... More power, and specifically more range.

That said, the RS is sold as a sport tourer no? I suspect those of us on original GS's or early RS's will have to wait a bit longer. Either way, I think this is a good indicator of things to come to either the ST (which I would prefer to move up to) or ultimately the RS.

Until then, more miles for the GS.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

WOW HOW UGLY CAN YOU GET, IT WOULD MAKE ANYTHING, MOTORCYCLE, CAR , BOAT, SPYDER ANYTHING WITH AN ENGINE LOOK TERRIBLE! IF IT DON'T HAVE THE LOOKS, WHO CARES IF IT COOKS!!! I HAVE A 2013 ST WITH THE K&N FILTER, POWER COMMANDER, SHOT GUNNER EXHAUST AND IT DYNOED AT 110 HP AND IT HAS THE LOOKS, I WILL GLADLY GIVE UP 30+ MORE HP THAN PUT THAT UGLY TURBO SYSTEM ON MY SPYDER. I HAVE A GRAND NATIONAL WITH STAGE 2 MOTOR AND BIG TURBO AND IT HAS CLASS AND LOOKS GOOD, PUTS OUT 747 REAR WHEEL HP. I GUESS IF POWER IS ALL YOU CARE ABOUT THEN BY ALL MEANS MAKE YOUR SPYDER UGLY.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    In a word............YES.

Spyder Garage

Default Mwell ... Consider

There is a difference in curb weight between the RS and the RT of 227 pounds. A bit less of a difference between the ST and the RT. The RT has always been a bit obese for the 998, although it somehow it has seen us through just fine ... until today . Let's not get ourselves psyched out with the new RT. Sounds like a great new machine, but so is my current '10 RT-S with all my mods. I would think the more important upgrade for the RS and ST series would be a six speed; not so much a bigger engine. In the meantime, my 'Elvira' still has a lot of lovin' to go with me.
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 09-16-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default In the new models !

BRP should fix the problems in new model that are carried over from older models like cooking the gas in the gas tank and other heat problems and the dirty engine oil in the clean side air box problem. These are only a few of the problems I have correct on my 2011 RS-S to make it safer to ride, get more mpg, lower the oil usage to 14 oz. in 5,000 miles, made it cooler for the rider, and improved the handling. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I would think the new 6 speed transmission would work great in the RS. I always thought that the tranny should lock up at a much lower rpm. 3200 is way too high.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxman View Post
    WOW HOW UGLY CAN YOU GET, IT WOULD MAKE ANYTHING, MOTORCYCLE, CAR , BOAT, SPYDER ANYTHING WITH AN ENGINE LOOK TERRIBLE! IF IT DON'T HAVE THE LOOKS, WHO CARES IF IT COOKS!!! I HAVE A 2013 ST WITH THE K&N FILTER, POWER COMMANDER, SHOT GUNNER EXHAUST AND IT DYNOED AT 110 HP AND IT HAS THE LOOKS, I WILL GLADLY GIVE UP 30+ MORE HP THAN PUT THAT UGLY TURBO SYSTEM ON MY SPYDER. I HAVE A GRAND NATIONAL WITH STAGE 2 MOTOR AND BIG TURBO AND IT HAS CLASS AND LOOKS GOOD, PUTS OUT 747 REAR WHEEL HP. I GUESS IF POWER IS ALL YOU CARE ABOUT THEN BY ALL MEANS MAKE YOUR SPYDER UGLY.
    To each their own. Sometimes people's taste is only in their mouth.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To some folks; beauty is in the twist of the loud grip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Far more RTs have been sold than RS models means.......

Come on, look at this from the side of BRP. The RT series is by FAR the number one selling Spyder. The RT is the heaviest model as well. To put the new engine in the RT means they will sell a bunch of units to CURRENT RT owners. No need to go find new buyers. They have many years of RT owners who will step up and buy a new unit. Putting the new engine in the RT will result in far more sales than if it was put into an RS. Figure maybe next year it could make it into an ST Limited, that would make sense. The power and range capability just plain are more logical for the RT, but this was much more of a marketing decision to offer all of the RT owners something to upgrade to. RTs out number the RS/STs by what, 4:1 or 5:1 or even more? Simple economics. I know many dealers sell 10 RTs for every one RS they sell. So yes, the RS crowd just does not rate, it is all in the numbers.

As for the motor, ski-doo has had an in-line 1200cc triple for many years and that engine is awesome, reliable as a hammer, really durable. Being this new 1330 is an ACE technology engine it will be even smoother, cleaner and reliable with less service required.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(I was just looking at the Ski Doo site to find the origins of the 1330...)

Spyder Garage

Okay, now we've got an ENGINE, I'll start hoping for a dual clutch transmission, and shaft drive.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

some folks are pretty tough to please...
    We got more engine, more gears, better cooling, better charging, MORE RANGE...
    And you still want the extra width and weight of a shaft??

Spyder Garage

You know, I thought about it overnight and what I've now concluded is that if *I* were in charge at BRP, I would do pretty much what they're doing.

1. Add the ST to reflect how many people ended up modding their RS vehicles, i.e. skip the middleman and get everything "factory."

2. Invest to make the RT what everyone wanted in the first place: a luxury tourer with plenty of torque, power and range. Given how popular the RT is-- and, we can assume, the profit margin on the model-- this makes the most sense for BRP.

3. As for the RS... while I personally have pooh-poohed talk about a "stripper model" in the past, after last night, I'm beginning to think that's where BRP should, and perhaps is likely, to go with the RS.

Notice first that the prices for the 2014 RS models actually went *down* compared to previous years. Perhaps it's just BRP realizing the RS doesn't sell as well as they used to, or perhaps it's BRP recognizing that the more differentiation between the RS, the ST and the RT, the better each can sell.

Still, let's be honest, the RS is still a VERY expensive bike, so if there's a way for BRP to create even more "feature separation" between the RS and the other models, BRP will likely pursue that. The biggest way to achieve that separation is in price-- make the RS cheaper, and you score a better "gateway drug" for future Spyderlovers.

That said, one thing I think might be in store for the RS *isn't* a bigger engine with more range. Instead, I think we might finally see the single biggest way to differentiate the RS from the ST & RT: a leaner. The RS would be a perfect testbed for a leaning Spyder, and you'd be able to give your market a strong choice: sport touring in the ST, luxury touring in the RT, and OHMYGODISTHISCRAZYSTUPIDFUN in a leaning RS.

I know what *I* am voting for.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

So........................I take it I'm not the only one disappointed with the '14 RSS? Hey! It's got a restyled rear fender.....................now there's something likely to induce unintended bladder incidents! Or; maybe not.
    As disappointed as I am.....................it's easy to see (business wise) why they went the RT/ST upgrade route. It makes up the bulk of their sales, and is the most over weight and thereby underpowered with the 998 V twin.

Having said that..................a 118 HP 1330 triple can only be described as underpowered for its size. I forget what they said the torque was up to; I'm sure it'll be appreciated by the touring crowd though.

Flanker's 2015 RSS: 200+ RWHP transversely mounted inline four (can anyone say NEW FRAME?), 6spd tranny/chain drive, 16" wheels/appropriately sized brakes/calipers, defeatable traction control, VSS, and ABS, 125 lbs less blubber.

Can't say as I expect to see it though. There are a bunch of really good reasons to keep the engine design/production in house...................and in fairness; the Rotax units are good engines. I'd still like to see BRP go outside the box with spec motors from Kawasaki or Suzuki (the likeliest engine suppliers featuring the least amount of additional development for a FrankenSpyder). The ZX14 motor is a very attractive motor candidate with its computerized power mode system, and must be pushing 190-200 HP in current form. Bump it to 1450-1500 ccs and you'd be well into my target HP area. My '07 ZX 14 has a pipe and dyno mapped PC III on it---the shop development mule dynoed at 185+ RWHP so 200 + would be easily achievable. How much market there'd be for that type of beast...................I'm not so sure. If the profit isn't there.......................then neither is the motive to produce the product.

Lamonster, thanks for the link to the turbo kit! Was unaware of them. ! The other poster is right..................it is a FUGLY unit; with a capital F! Fit right in with the Madstad on my RSS!

Ron, your Mach III pic brought back some good (and BAD!) memories for me. I owned two '72 (first year of production) Mach IV 750s back in the day, at different times. Here's a pic of the first one (I was the first and third owner-------yes I bought it back) after a custom lacquer candy blue paint job, brake system rebuild, aftermarket shocks, fork rebuild, brass swing arm bushings (infintesimally reduced frame flex), and ported, polished, and piped (Dencos--loud enough to wake the dead!) motor:

The good: Many many great rides with my Buds!
    The BAD: Pretty sure running it off of that curve and into that tree qualifies! Wadded it up pretty bad and I was darn lucky I didn't wad myself up any worse than I did! What a putz!!
    Last edited by Flanker; 09-16-2013 at 10:36 AM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm also glad to see a triple coming back into my life...
    My first street-legal bike was one of the little 250cc Kawasaki triples.
    As smooth as a watch; and just as underpowered...
    But it set the hook that I've been unable to shake for all these years!

Spyder Garage

pretty cool. but you've got to have a deep pocket to buy it and then a deeper pocket to take care of all the problems with the bike when brp won't cover it under warrantee because of the turbo charger.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No worries Chuck; just wait until all of the warranees have expired... That way it's ALL on your dime if things turn pear-shaped on the bike!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    pretty cool. but you've got to have a deep pocket to buy it and then a deeper pocket to take care of all the problems with the bike when brp won't cover it under warrantee because of the turbo charger.
    I agree, when playing with hp you have to have deep pockets, been there done that.

What I don't get is why the RS group seem to be so dissatisfied with what they have now. We all know it's a great ride the way it is and a great looking unit stock. Add the new side panels for better cooling and better looks and maybe throw on a set of the new wheels and maybe rear fender and you really got something that you can make your own. I loved my GS and maybe I should have sold it now that I think about it but it had plenty of power the way I had it and to this day it runs better than new with 50K on it. An for sure it's going to have a more impressive exhaust not than the triple.

Oh and I'm a cruiser guy to the core and none of the above fit that mold. It's the one missing link in the Spyder line and one I think would out sell all the Spyders to date. Go to a rally and and maybe 80% of what you see are cruisers.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I got the RS S because of its looks but mate it an St befor they came out thats what we do it's all about the mods ride till one of us dies...!! JTPOLLOCK

Spyder Garage

I agree, when playing with hp you have to have deep pockets, been there done that.

What I don't get is why the RS group seem to be so dissatisfied with what they have now. We all know it's a great ride the way it is and a great looking unit stock. Add the new side panels for better cooling and better looks and maybe throw on a set of the new wheels and maybe rear fender and you really got something that you can make your own. I loved my GS and maybe I should have sold it now that I think about it but it had plenty of power the way I had it and to this day it runs better than new with 50K on it. An for sure it's going to have a more impressive exhaust not than the triple.

Oh and I'm a cruiser guy to the core and none of the above fit that mold. It's the one missing link in the Spyder line and one I think would out sell all the Spyders to date. Go to a rally and and maybe 80% of what you see are cruisers.
    lamont, i don't think anyone, or at least i can speak for myself, said that they were disatisfied with the rs/rss line. it's just normal behavior to want something new, to get the juices flowing, to get you dreaming of what the next move will be to a newer version of what you have. obviously you want bigger, better, or you don't get to dream. i personnally don't want an rt. the wife and i like the looks of the rss and the ride of the rss, therefor for us to step up to an rt, it just isn't in our picture. to step up to a new rss with things on it that we don't already have on our machine, now that's another story. that's what dreaming is all about!!!
    Last edited by spydaman60; 09-16-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

RS guys (I was one), there is something down the pipe. It'll be next year. Just gotta be patient...

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

K,
    So you're crossing over to, "The Dark Side"??

Welcome to the PARTEEE!