Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st to 2nd gear clunk...

I searched but could not find another post with this question...

I know the N to R or 1st gear clunk is normal, and my 2 week old RTS was very smooth shifting for the first 600 miles. I had the dealer do the 600 mile inspection / oil change yesterday, and have put another 300 miles on it, and tonight noticed the "clunk" when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I tried the normal 4500 or 6000 rpm shift without lifting off the throttle, I tried backing off the throttle, and various rpm shifting but it still did it. 3rd, 4th, and 5th is quiet and normal.

Is this normal or the beginning of a problem? I think I did hear it once going into 3rd, but for the most part it is smooth and quiet. I did check it over and oil level is correct and all looks good....

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Just ride it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking this question. I've had my 2013 RT-S just over two months and been wondering the same thing. I have just under 3,800 miles now and still have the clunk from 1st to 2nd. Shifting to 3rd,4th and 5th is smooth once in awhile shifting from 1st to 2nd will be smooth but usually under hard acceleration.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 has the hard clunk shift from 1st to 2nd most but not all the time. I complained to my dealer and the service manager told me it was because the shift had to go through neutral and thus traveled faster and further than through the upper gears. Almost makes sense I guess?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep riding and have fun, that's what I did, but if problem persist go see your dealer.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies... I'll just keep riding it and see what happens...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gear clunk

Seems the way it is. Happy trails

Spyder Garage

My 2011 SM5 has always clunked from 1st to 2nd and I assumed it was normal which it appears to be.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black