Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Need advice on shipping my spyder...

I am the proud owner of Fire Joe's custom '08 GS and need to ship it from Jefferson City Missouri to Fair Oaks, Ca. I found a shipper who will trailer it, but he's not familiar with the Spyder. I figure some of y'all out there have shipped your Spyder across state lines. I'm looking for the name(s) of transport companies that will trailer the Spyder and deliver.

Before it's brought up...it's not an option for me to rent a flatbed and go get it myself.

Anyone out there with a trailer want to take a Spyderfest "Pre-ride" to Missouri and drop off my Spyder on the way back for $$$
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 09-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Why don't you fly back and ride it home?

OR... make me an offer and I will do it for you.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I am the proud owner of Fire Joe's custom '08 GS and need to ship it from Jefferson City Missouri to Fair Oaks, Ca. I found a shipper who will trailer it, but he's not familiar with the Spyder. I figure some of y'all out there have shipped your Spyder across state lines. I'm looking for the name(s) of transport companies that will trailer the Spyder and deliver.

Before it's brought up...it's not an option for me to rent a flatbed and go get it myself.

Anyone out there with a trailer want to take a Spyderfest "Pre-ride" to Missouri and drop off my Spyder on the way back for $$$

Spyder Garage

Cover expenses and I will go get it and ride it home.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used http://www.haulbikes.com last year to ship a 2008 GS from Mississippi to Nebraska. They are a professional bike hauler and ship all bikes in a covered semi. Cost me $912. I highly recommend them.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Spyder it was in Dallas. I put the shipping out to bid on Uship.com, had the bike in two days for less than I could have gotten it myself. The Spyder now lives in Phoenix, Az

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the tips...

I tried UBid...the auction is about to close without a single inquiry. Going to try Haulbikes.com tomorrow...hopefully with better luck.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. This bike is too nice to be anywhere but in my driveway!!!

Spyder Garage

Hey Tony. I will do my best to make sure that whoever you use that your new to you spyder is at least strapped down right and such. When you say you found someone who will trailer it, I take it you mean on an open trailer as in it will be uncovered? From reading around here in the past I do know to make sure he doesn't load it backwards, as in rear end first. Well I suppose that would be ok so long as I remember to take the windshield off!! Don't want that ripping off during transport. I believe it is also suggested to NOT cover it as the cover could very well rub the paint off from flapping from the wind. If I'm wrong on that I am sure someone will correct me. If he is using an open trailer I do hope though that he can fit the boxes in his truck. Would hate for all your extra stuff to possibly get soaked before they get there if he hits any rain.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for making sure she's strapped down...

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Joe View Post
    Hey Tony. I will do my best to make sure that whoever you use that your new to you spyder is at least strapped down right and such. When you say you found someone who will trailer it, I take it you mean on an open trailer as in it will be uncovered? From reading around here in the past I do know to make sure he doesn't load it backwards, as in rear end first. Well I suppose that would be ok so long as I remember to take the windshield off!! Don't want that ripping off during transport. I believe it is also suggested to NOT cover it as the cover could very well rub the paint off from flapping from the wind. If I'm wrong on that I am sure someone will correct me. If he is using an open trailer I do hope though that he can fit the boxes in his truck. Would hate for all your extra stuff to possibly get soaked before they get there if he hits any rain.
    Hi Joe;
    The guy I initially contacted had the price right but after talking to him more questions like "what's a Spyder" were making me nervous. Probably will pay a bit more to have it shipped via Haulbikes.com (as Cohoff suggested). They ship in a covered truck and it is insured. They are also familiar with Spyders. They will cost me more, but I want to get that baby in my driveway in the exact condition as the pix you have been sending me

Spyder Garage

Hi Joe;
    The guy I initially contacted had the price right but after talking to him more questions like "what's a Spyder" were making me nervous. Probably will pay a bit more to have it shipped via Haulbikes.com (as Cohoff suggested). They ship in a covered truck and it is insured. They are also familiar with Spyders. They will cost me more, but I want to get that baby in my driveway in the exact condition as the pix you have been sending me
    Can't say I blame you and yes, your peace of mind knowing they are familiar with spyders is worth a little more than what the other guy was going to charge you. All the same though I will be keeping an eye on them when they load it and strap it down. I just hope they have a way of getting the spyder into their trailer (assuming you mean they will be using a big rig). When I bought my spyder I had to pay a tow shop to back up their flatbed to the rear of the big rig. Rolled the spyder from the truck to the flatbed then they set it down for me.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Spyder Tony, you got an awesome looking Spyder from Joe. I've run just a few miles with that wicked cool looking ride.

So Joe, what is new on the horizon?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Spyder Tony, you got an awesome looking Spyder from Joe. I've run just a few miles with that wicked cool looking ride.

So Joe, what is new on the horizon?
    Just a lot of time with my son We are actually into a new hobby as of late. Short course RC racing. He loves it and truth be told so do I!

I'm sure in a few years when he hits his teenage years and wants nothing to do with mom and dad I'll be in the market again for another spyder. Just couldn't stand to see mine sit and collect dust in the garage. It deserves better than that

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Joe View Post
    Can't say I blame you and yes, your peace of mind knowing they are familiar with spyders is worth a little more than what the other guy was going to charge you. All the same though I will be keeping an eye on them when they load it and strap it down. I just hope they have a way of getting the spyder into their trailer (assuming you mean they will be using a big rig). When I bought my spyder I had to pay a tow shop to back up their flatbed to the rear of the big rig. Rolled the spyder from the truck to the flatbed then they set it down for me.
    Not to worry Fire Joe and Tony, the company I recommended to Tony has an automatic hoist on the rear of the semi that they roll the bike onto and it lifts it up to the level in the semi. All their semi drivers are also riders so they treat your bike as if its their own. The are extremely professional and worth the extra money for peace of mind!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    Not to worry Fire Joe and Tony, the company I recommended to Tony has an automatic hoist on the rear of the semi that they roll the bike onto and it lifts it up to the level in the semi. All their semi drivers are also riders so they treat your bike as if its their own. The are extremely professional and worth the extra money for peace of mind!
    Now that is indeed nice!! Would save both me and Tony the hassle of trying to find a place around us that has dock ramps or such. Thanks cohoff for giving Tony the heads up about that shipping company. And yes it is a very big plus that their drivers are riders as well.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Steve, I agree with you so much that i'm giving up the brand new 2013 Limited I bought just a few short months ago to my girlfriend, and i'll be ryding the one I got from Joe as my daily driver in the good weather months!!!
    Last edited by Spyder Tony; 09-18-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Help with Shipping Spyder

In early May, I wish to ship my wife's new Spyder ST Ltd to Pensacola Beach Florida from Atlanta, spend 10 days
    in Pensacola and have the bike shipped back to Atlanta.
    Would someone please recommend a reliable transport company that knows how to load/off load Spyders.
    I tried "Uship" and I have only heard from brokers that are not familiar with Spyder's.
    Thank you.
    Bill & Kathy Lee

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teacher7 View Post
    In early May, I wish to ship my wife's new Spyder ST Ltd to Pensacola Beach Florida from Atlanta, spend 10 days
    in Pensacola and have the bike shipped back to Atlanta.
    Would someone please recommend a reliable transport company that knows how to load/off load Spyders.
    I tried "Uship" and I have only heard from brokers that are not familiar with Spyder's.
    Thank you.
    Bill & Kathy Lee
    I just looked on Google maps and it shows it's only 333 miles between the two. My first question is why do you want to ship it as opposed to riding it or trailering it, for that short of a distance?

When it comes to shipping motorcycles it's a jungle out there full of man eating beasts. The one company I would consider is Haulbikes.com, but that's all they do, is haul bikes. Consequently, schedules for picking up and delivering have to very flexible. They don't pick up, ship, and deliver unless they have a truck load. I would not trust anyone to pick it up, deliver it, pick it up again, and deliver it back home and do it so that it's there for you to use when you want it. That is, not unless you are willing to be without it for 2 to 3 weeks each, before and after. You could quite possibly rent a trailer, or a small truck, and haul it yourself for a lot less money. And you would have control over the schedule.

If it is impractical for you to personally take the bike there I think the best option is to hire someone, like one of the members on the forum here, to drive it down there for you and you pay their way back home, whether it be plane, train, or rental car. Then in 10 days reverse the process.

That's my 2 cents worth, at least as I see it.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

333 could easily be done in one day. Even with a Uhaul if you don't want to ride it down.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White