Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Garage door remote mod

Well after 2 1/2 months of popping the truck to get my garage door opener out to open said garage door I installed a switch on the dash. Went to Radio Shack and got a momentary switch and wired it into the garage door remote then installed the switch on the dash. Nothing to fancy but man it's nice to just push the button and drive in without dismounting and popping the frunk!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Orange monster; 09-14-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    Well after 2 1/2 months of popping the truck to get my garage door opener out to open said garage door I installed a switch on the dash. Went to Radio Shack and got a momentary switch and wired it into the garage door remote then installed the switch on the dash. Nothing to fancy but man it's nice to just push the button and drive in without dismounting and popping the frunk!
    i just keep mine in the glove box...
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Wish I had a glove box...lol... I looked for a windshield bag that would mount between the dash and windshield but never found anything I really liked.
    2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

Mines mounted on the left speaker cover.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Is it waterproof? Shooter offered to do a similar thing on my spyder like he did on his wife's but it isn't water proof.

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

I carry mine in my front pocket.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

looks good. Will do it some day. For the moment have a key ring opener velcroed to the cowl under the windshield. Yours worked out nicely...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    i just keep mine in the glove box...
    Me three!!

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

I got 2 mini remotes from ebay one for my gate and one for my garage. Used some super velcro for mounting and mounted right under the handlebars. There is a small flat space on each side you can use and has no clearance issues and very easy to hit without even stretching. Been thru hours and hours of rain with 0 issues so far.
    2008 GS , Brisk Spark Plug - BOR10LGS Blk/yelllow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laila's Dad View Post
    Is it waterproof? Shooter offered to do a similar thing on my spyder like he did on his wife's but it isn't water proof.
    You know I'm not real sure. For $5 if the switch ever fails ill replace it with another. The actual remote is behind the speedo cluster with the rest of the electronics so that should be fine.
    2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

I like this Mod and would like to do the same thing. Question: Does the switch work when power is off on the spyder? I on ocasion park outside the garage and would want anyone to be able to open the garage while my spyder was parked outside.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DunaJ View Post
    I like this Mod and would like to do the same thing. Question: Does the switch work when power is off on the spyder? I on ocasion park outside the garage and would want anyone to be able to open the garage while my spyder was parked outside.
    Yes it does work when the bike is off. I just soldered two leads off the switch on the inside of the remote to the switch I installed on the dash so the battery in the remote is still powering the remote and is always live.
    2013 RSS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sweet. This is high on my mod list.

However, I'm going to try it with a Homelink visor controller in hopes of using both garage doors and the gate.
    --
    Central Arkansas
    2010 RS-S SE5 Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you wanted to have it only able to be used when you have the key on, all that is needed is a relay on one of the button wires. Just hook the relay to switched power and you are all set. In fact I need to do that yet to mine as the better half brought up the same question... we very rarely park outside at the house though.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I have my remote in a belt clip cellphone holder, clipped to my windshield.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)