Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default adding oil between oil changes

how much oil is average to add between oil changes?
    2018 RTL , slate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just like with every other internal combustion engine; there is no average... They use what they use. The key, is to get an idea of what yours needs.
    (Mine however; uses about 14 oz between changes...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bgmy View Post
    It appears that different Spyder use different amounts. From my experience I will add oil twice. From the add line to the full mark is 1/2 a quart so that is 1 quart between oil changes.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

In my first 600 miles, I didn't need to add a drop. I guess I should have checked it after my 600 mile service, though, because the first time I checked it (around 700) I needed to add just a bit more than half a quart . . . I strongly suspect the dealership did not top it off at the 600 mile service after they changed the oil . .. because I am over 1800 now . . . and haven't had to add any again, yet. If I had really used over half a quart between 600 and 700 miles, I don't think I'd have used none in the next 1100! Note to self (and everyone else) check the oil as soon as you get home from a dealer-done oil change!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob's advice is right on the mark. It will depend on what kind of riding you typically do.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I add about 4 oz every 1,000 miles. I measure how much and keep a log book. Yes. You are right. I am OCD about my Spyder.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

I check after every long ryde. Usually add a couple ounces. This would be about 10-14 oz.'s between oil changes. Those being every 4600-5000 miles depending on where I ryde or where I am...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    I add about 4 oz every 1,000 miles. I measure how much and keep a log book. Yes. You are right. I am OCD about my Spyder.

About the same with me............
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

My RT has 11000 miles on it and has had the 600 mile oil change plus two additional. The last change I got the level about 1/4 inch over full when really hot. After almost 3000 miles it is still more than 1/8 inch over full. To date, I have not added any oil between changes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I check after every long ryde. Usually add a couple ounces. This would be about 10-14 oz.'s between oil changes. Those being every 4600-5000 miles depending on where I ryde or where I am...
    we do the same on our rs! 12 to 14 ounces. (never quite a quart)

Spyder Garage

OK.... so i add a quart per every (recommended) 4800 mile oil change.....

Question #2: since we add fresh oil between oil changes, and the recommended mileage is 4800 miles (with the new filter set-up)... wouldn't the NEW OIL added since that last change, actually increase the amount of miles you can ride OVER THE RECOMMENDED 4800 miles...????????

mean while, i'll just listen to "Further up the Road" by Joe Bonamassa.......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a little over 58,000 miles on my RT as it has gotten more mileage it uses less oil between oil changes. When it was new I added oil every 700 miles, during the last trip it was 2,000 miles before I added any, I am using BRP oil and have had no problems yet.

Spyder Garage

I think it is important that you know how to check the oil accurately, read your manual-follow it to a 't' and added it as necessary. I use about 1/2 quart between 5,000 mile oil changes but I like to run it a half quart low to minimize oil in the airbox.

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT Ltd with 16,000 miles uses about a half a quart every 2,000 miles and has ever since it was new.

My wife's RT Ltd with 12,000 miles never uses any... in fact I think it manufactures the stuff. Whenever I check it the level is always just on the line.

When I asked my tech about this he responded that the tolerances on all engines are different. When he pulled the engine speed reports from BUDS we found that her Spyder spends more time in the 5,000 rpm plus range than mine does so that may be a clue.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Question #2: since we add fresh oil between oil changes, and the recommended mileage is 4800 miles (with the new filter set-up)... wouldn't the NEW OIL added since that last change, actually increase the amount of miles you can ride OVER THE RECOMMENDED 4800 miles......
    Um...no. You need to get the sludge, soot, dirt, and damaged oil components out of the engine. Here is a good write up: http://www.lubeng.com.au/assets/file...egradation.pdf

Oil changes allow me to get hundreds of thousands of miles out of my engines with no engine rebuilds. There is a lot more going on than just puttin in the new. You need to get the dirt and soot and fuel and broken molecules out too. This also goes for changing engine coolant, brake fluid etc on a regular basis. Follow the owners manual to a "T."
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Add oil
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    OK.... so i add a quart per every (recommended) 4800 mile oil change.....

Question #2: since we add fresh oil between oil changes, and the recommended mileage is 4800 miles (with the new filter set-up)... wouldn't the NEW OIL added since that last change, actually increase the amount of miles you can ride OVER THE RECOMMENDED 4800 miles...????????

mean while, i'll just listen to "Further up the Road" by Joe Bonamassa.......

If you have a pail of muddy water and you add a cup or two of clean water to it, you still have a pail of muddy water.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    If you have a pail of muddy water and you add a cup or two of clean water to it, you still have a pail of muddy water.
    Great analogy!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Depending on the oil that is used, 4800 miles is the recommended time to change the FILTERS
    not the oil some oils can go a lot father than 4800 miles / but keeping the oil to proper level and changed is the life of the motor . I personally use amsoil 10 w40 I do my own service work
    i can tell a difference in the way my bike shifts it is a lot smother than using BRP oil / I change my oil and filters the same time about every 5000 miles
    Tricled lights front fenders,running lights truck,spyderpos block off plate and stainless grills , Baja Ron's sway bar, smoothe spyderBelt tensioner , tricled silver spyder on trunk lid
    Siver Spyder on helment
    Web boards and tredwear tire graphics state of Missouri

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2100 miles since the last change of fluids and filters.
    Just checked it, and had to add about four ounces...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Zero

I have never had to add oil in my 2012 RT or my 2012 RT

Spyder Garage

Default 2013RTS

We took a 900 mile ride over Labor Day weekend and used about a quart of oil and when I checked it today it was about 1/2 way to the add mark.When we left the house this morning,my buddie was following us and he said the spyder was blowing a lot of blue smoke for the first 200 yards or so.what do you think,maby valve seals?This bike belongs to the Red Head so it will be serviced by the dealer and any thing that it needs,it will get done.Her bike and her money.We are both 73years old and she has no desire to learn to ride so when we go anywhere together we take her spyder and when she is not along,I take my two wheeler.9,990 miles on the spyder in 90 days and 7,000 miles on the two wheeler sence the first of the year.Still have some trips planned for the rest of the year.I think you can say we have had a desent year so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    When we left the house this morning,my buddie was following us and he said the spyder was blowing a lot of blue smoke for the first 200 yards or so.what do you think,maby valve seals?This bike belongs to the Red Head so it will be serviced by the dealer and any thing that it needs,it will get done.
    This sounds more like a rich mixture or condensation. However, if it is blue it could be oil.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My friends RT 2012 w 3000 miles has an oil leak. It's at the dealer waiting for service. Anyone had this problem? Can it be serious?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pslawing View Post
    My friends RT 2012 w 3000 miles has an oil leak. It's at the dealer waiting for service. Anyone had this problem? Can it be serious?
    It can be serious, Then again it might ''Not'' be serious... It depends..
    Is it just blow-by from over filling the OIL tank, Thats ''Not'' serious,
    More info would help....