Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Swapped my 2005 RAM 3500 Quad Cab for an end of the year 2011 F 150 EcoTech powered Supercrew Lariat, with all the options. The F 150 gives an honest 24mpg on regular gas on the highway - drops to 22 at a steady 80, and will tow anything I own. That's what it took to get me out of MY 2005 Ram.

I don't think Can Am could do anything to make me spring for another one. However, if one of the better established brands brought out a real competitor, I'd give it a serious look...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    I am in the no trade mode. Mainly because my 2006 Silverado only has 6,000 miles on it, new tires ( sun damaged originals) and I have a floor full of ham radio gear mounted in it.

Now my wife is a different story. She has a 2011 SRX and wants a 2014 Chevrolet Traverse in a real bad way. Sometimes I think she would trade me off for it!
    Have her test ride the Honda Pilot Turing,I also liked the Traverse in 2010,but after driving the Pilot liked it better and Hondas have a better resale value. Im glad I did,we love our Pilot.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Just bought a 2013 Ford F350 Supercrew Lariat a couple months back.

Super quiet diesel and 800 ft lbs of torque out of the box.

Ford quality to boot, nothing else is even close on quality and options.

only downfall is they aren't cheap. I get an Ford employee discount so it made it worth it for

me.
    Oh no, I think you might have awoken the GM, Dodge and Toyota boys with the Ford quality comment.

For me, I traded my '02 Dodge Ram in on a '05 Ford F-150 because that Dodge was the worst POS I have ever owned. Sold the '05 (52,000 mi.) in Feb. to a guy at work so I could buy a '13 F-150 because I wanted four real doors and more backseat leg room.

As for the Spyder, there will be nothing on a 2014 that would entice me to buy new.
    Last edited by mxz600; 09-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Oh no, I think you might have awoken the GM, Dodge and Toyota boys with the Ford quality comment.

For me, I traded my '02 Dodge Ram in on a '05 Ford F-150 because that Dodge was the worst POS I have ever owned. Sold the '05 (52,000 mi.) in Feb. to a guy at work so I could buy a '13 F-150 because I wanted four real doors and more backseat leg room.

As for the Spyder, there will be nothing on a 2014 that would entice me to buy new.
    I've worked on 1000's of vehicles a year for over 20 years.

I have a great opportunity being in so many vehicles that I can "see" quality issues as well as hear issues from service depts. I know no vehicle is perfect, but Im still pretty confident, especially lately, that Ford has a much higher quality "overall" than anything out there.

I use to just think that about their trucks, but as of late I believe this about their cars as well.

I am not a "direct" employee of Ford so I have no gain by saying so, it is just my direct observation over the years in and out of new and used cars....and seeing which ones hold up, and which ones do not.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2010RT SE5 still running good and I'm still having the best riding time on it. Down the road I'm hoping BRP will have better engineering and better mileage on the machine. Oh yes just in a few months it will be pay for.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

I have a great opportunity being in so many vehicles that I can "see" quality issues as well as hear issues from service depts. I know no vehicle is perfect, but Im still pretty confident, especially lately, that Ford has a much higher quality "overall" than anything out there.

I use to just think that about their trucks, but as of late I believe this about their cars as well.

I am not a "direct" employee of Ford so I have no gain by saying so, it is just my direct observation over the years in and out of new and used cars....and seeing which ones hold up, and which ones do not.

I've been a chevy truck guy forever. It's time to bring in some new trucks for business and i'm looking at the F550's because I need to tow heavy equipment. I'm bored with the chevy look, and liking the fords, and Ford didn't steal any money from the tax payers The prices on all these trucks are ridiculous.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

RE: Cars. I have usually bought a new car every other year or so. Yes, I am one of those. I broke from the pattern after my life changed in 2010. I recently traded in my 2007 Subaru Tribeca with only 55,000 miles on it for a new 2014 Subaru Forester. The trade was in perfect working condition and someone got a really nice vehicle. The recent car purchase is being looked at as my last one and I will either drive it into the ground or they will put me into the ground--whichever comes first. I figured its time to strike while I still had the means to do so.

RE: Spyder--I also bought Spyders pretty fast compared to some. 2008 (first edition), 2009 (first semi auto), 2010 (first RT edition) and 2011 (purchased in 2012--at a great discount). Still riding the 2010 and 2011. Both have served me well and I have not seen the need to purchase a 2012 or 2013.

Spyder RT's currently have all that I seem to need in Spyders. Did not need the new ST version--so there was no need to go there. Never been afraid to buy new or first edition up until now. With all the drama of the 2013's I would not consider one of those--because I am afraid of getting a problematic one. My biggest complaint on 2013 has been the slow to act problem when it comes to a fix.

If they get the fixes in quickly, there should be some exceptional deals to blow out the 2013's.

I am adopting a wait and see attitude on the 2014's. BRP is between a rock and a hard place there. Fix 2013 issues, innovate with bigger and better (new engine), do some redesign--just to name a few. I would only consider another if it were a large improvement over and above what I am currently rydeing. I have been saying bigger engine since 2010. The 2014's will not be up here in AK until March or slightly later. This gives me a lot of time to see how others are doing with their new purchases. Like the car, I am coming to the end of purchasing bigger toys. I have one or so left--but not sure if I am going to bite the bullet.

I am just being honest here with my feelings. Have been a proponent for all the good things. Have also not been afraid to call them out when I felt something was wrong with a dealer or with the product in general. I am sure I have not made any friends with BRP--but that is what happens with consumer advocates. I have been an advocate of the product since day one and continue to look for positives as time goes on.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's funny how we go by our own experiences on cars, I had a 2000 Subaru Outback Limited I bought new for 30K and it was a POS head gaskets, transmission, timing belts spark plugs breaking off, fuel tank sending units.... Well I won't buy any more new cars, it's used for me. We love our 2012 White RT Limited don't think I could talk the wife out of it for anything. However when the Spyder is paid off I may be persuaded to trade my 2010 Kawasaki Voyager for a Springfield Blue Indian Chieftain.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

If the 2014 is not gold as been reported, but burnt orange (cuz I was thinking of painting mine that color) AND it has a bigger engine, as I ride 2 up and tow, AND they promise to not do a total redesign for at least 2 years (unless its ugly). Then, I MIGHT do it. Crap, I will still need to paint the trailer......AND they do a even trade on a trailer that is burnt orange too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    in a word…nothing! The new ones aren't offering anything I'm interested in. The only way I could see getting what I want in another Spyder would be to build one from the ground up and unless I hit the lotto I don't see that happening.

You already did that
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I'm afraid i'm the last of a dying breed that buys cars/bikes to keep 'em forever and not trade in on a newer model. I have a '72 Mustang, '02 Montero Sport, '12 Honda Accord and a '13 ST-L...all were purchased without trading in another vehicle and all will be kept or passed along in the family. I buy a vehicle because I want to own it forever...not for a year or 2. If I want a newer one, I save my pennies and buy one without trading in the old. May be a bit unconventional, but it works for me.

BTW...when choosing to buy a Spyder, I was deciding between a ST-L or a Dodge Challenger SRT8. The Spyder won, but only because I already have a muscle car that is FAST but gets crappy gas mileage and I had been wishing for the Spyder for 3 years before purchasing.
    I'm the same way 96 F 350 98 crown Vic both have about 200,000 miles on them 2010 RTS with 35,000 miles on it. When I buy I plan on getting the good out of it.

Spyder Garage

Timely thread. We were just talking vehicles a few minutes ago. I have a 2004 Silverado extended cab with 56,000 on it. It's in great shape and we use it for long trips because it's more comfortable than Kris' Impala SS. The draw back is the fuel mileage when towing our 20' enclosed cargo trailer. Diesels are out of the question because of the asking price . I've been looking at the 2014 Silverado with the new 5.3 and six speed transmission. But again, sticker . Kris' 2006 Impala has 59,200 on it and there are some issues. We looked at the 2014 Impala V6 this weekend. We wouldn't trade either in, we would sell then put that towards another vehicle. So as I said, we were just talking and decided to hold off until next year to see how things progress. We had some unexpected hits to our finances lately that hurt. And being somewhat newly retired, we're still trying to get a budget worked out.

As far as the 2014 Spyder, if we went that way it would be replacing Kris' 2010 RTS. But we'll wait and see what BRP unveils. I go along with others on better mileage/range and a somewhat stronger engine. Kris' Spyder is paid off.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    So what would you call an amazing improvement ?

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk
    1.) Better range (bigger tank or better mileage)
    2.) Better airflow under the Tupperware . . . my 2013 RT Limited gets pretty warm - it tends to throw a high temp warning at me if I stop for gas after riding a while, then restart . . . I realize this is because the coolant stops flowing through the engine block, and it clears, once it is running for a bit, but is a big irritant, all the same. Software update could delay that high temp code until the engine has time to run a bit.
    3.) Better heat shielding to begin with would be good. I am waiting for the recall to be approved to get the master cylinder issue resolved, and I'd pay extra for wrapped pipes and an insulated gas tank from the factory. I'd like to feel safe rolling right into my garage and shutting down, without concern of a fire.
    4.) A resolution to the hotfoot you get on the right foot. The radiator should vent down and out rather than straight at my foot.
    5.) Standard highway pegs would be nice . . .
    6.) Bluetooth included, rather than as an option that adds over $100 to the cost of the dongle, just to get a compatible cable.
    7.) More color options . . . I REALLY wanted the yellow that the RT-S comes in, but wanted the RT Limited package. I would have loved an RT Limited in Circuit Yellow Metallic!

That said, even with its flaws, I love my Spyder

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Trade Up Spyder

I've been looking at new trucks for the last couple of weeks and at 40K plus I'm having a hard time convincing myself I need to trade in my 2005 Ram crew for a 2013 or 2014. I do see where Ram is coming out with a smaller diesel that might push me over the edge but to be honest I most likely won't spring for the new truck seeing they just aren't that much different than what I have now other than they can drop 4 cylinders for better mileage. I only have 60K on my 2005 now so it would take a long time for the better mileage to pay for a new truck.

That being said what would push you over the edge to trade in your 20** for a 2014?
    In a couple of weeks we should here from the dealers what's new for 2014. I have a lot of people ask me if they should buy now and take advantage of some of the great deals out there or wait and see what's new for 2014 if anything. Like me shopping for a new truck I mostly tell them to wait and see unless you just have to have one right now. I'm pretty excited about 2014 but I get excited pretty easy.
    I won't Trade up my 2010 RT LTD. Sure it won't be 2014 model...I will wait until they completely change to a new Powertrain/Engine/Shaft drive/200 mi. min. between fill ups...I hope I live that long........

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I'm afraid i'm the last of a dying breed that buys cars/bikes to keep 'em forever and not trade in on a newer model. I have a '72 Mustang, '02 Montero Sport, '12 Honda Accord and a '13 ST-L...all were purchased without trading in another vehicle and all will be kept or passed along in the family. I buy a vehicle because I want to own it forever...not for a year or 2. If I want a newer one, I save my pennies and buy one without trading in the old. May be a bit unconventional, but it works for me.

BTW...when choosing to buy a Spyder, I was deciding between a ST-L or a Dodge Challenger SRT8. The Spyder won, but only because I already have a muscle car that is FAST but gets crappy gas mileage and I had been wishing for the Spyder for 3 years before purchasing.
    Have to agree with you! But that being said a bigger motor, lower RPM's and better gas mileage could sway me! As long as my vehicles are reliable (I take care of them well!) I see no reason to get rid of them. Have a 2006 honda Rubicon, 2003 Camry, and 2012 RT. I will drive them until I can't any longer.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

More cylinders = smoother engine,
    More HP 150 -200 would be nice
    and at least 1 second faster in the quarter!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Unless I absolutely hate something, it's usually with me until it becomes unproductive.

Bought that in November of '83....
    We bought this one new in 85 mainly because I was on orders back to Germany, pretty much broke it in on the autobahn and yes it would do 140. Brought it back to the states and kept it for several more years before we sold it. Without a doubt the best most fun car I ever owned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT Ltd is proving to be one of the best Spyder years yet.... No way would I consider upgrading to the latest round of problems...

Another deterrent is that Spyder trade-ins seem to have gone down the tubes, likely due to the larger no of Spyders in the market, or even to rumors of endless problems with the 2013s.

Before you hook into a new 2014 better check closely as to what you can get for that slightly used Spyder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That being said what would push you over the edge to trade in your 20** for a 2014?
    At the present time, nothing. My current Spyder (2012 RT-S SM5) is operating great and has been trouble-free. I freaked when I read about problems others are experiencing but thankfully I have not shared in their experiences. While I understand people are more likely to complain then praise, I draw the line when their is a FACTORY RECALL. That is acknowledgment WE (BRP) SCREWED UP.

In Ohio, we have a limited number of weeks/months to ride our Spyders. When I see what nonsense some people put up with to get their Spyders fixed, I shake my head with disbelief.

With pictures showing the heating problems on the 2013 models with no fix approved in the United States yet, why would I gamble tens of thousands of dollars on something new at this time?

I will keep my ear to the ground (and my browser set to these pages) before I make that decision. I am sure if there is good news, I will hear it here first.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 09-05-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Nothing short of a blown engine would make me trade my 2003 Ford SuperCab for a 2013. There isn't enough bang for the buck in the newer technology to move me. On the other hand, I may be forced to buy 4WD vehicle before this house project in the middle of the snowbelt is done. My 2WD truck gets around OK with its limited slip rear end, but two feet of snow at a whack may be more than it needs when I have no choice but commute back and forth until the house is done. If they weren't so overpriced, I'd buy a used Jeep as a third vehicle.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

How did that F150EB work out for ya?

Spyder Garage

well I have a 2009 ram 1500 hemi that I bought in 2010 and it has 151,000 miles on it as of this afternoon. I guess if they'd give me more that $5000.00 for a trade in, i'd think about buying a new one. it's awful hard giving a $38,000 vehicle back to the dealer for peanuts when you've only owned it for three years. It 's!! to say the least!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you need to ask me to answer this one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I don't think you need to ask me to answer this one.
    ann, it's great to see that you still have a sense of humor. at this point, I think my blood pressure would have broken any cuff they could find for me!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black