Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS help please!!

As some of you may remember, last may the DPS warning and check engine light came on while we were in MV North Carolina, the spyder never went into limp mode so my wife rode it 900 miles back with the warning light on, no problem, rode another 2000 miles around Oklahoma , i was waiting until it was time for the oil change so i could take it to the dealer to have them look at the DPS,, i figured it was just a sensor needing to be reset or something like that.
    Today they gave me a call saying that the DPS or power steering is not working at all and it will cost $1500.00 to replace it, i asked them how come i don't feel anything different when riding, my understanding is that the power steering makes it easy to steer and when not working i would feel it at the handle bars, besides, never went to limp mode in 3000 miles after the light came on.
    We are taking a trip to "the 3 sisters" in Leaky Texas, about 500-600 miles away next month and my wife really wants to ride the Spyder but money is tight and she may have to ride with me
    Any ideas?? Just want to make sure i'm not been taken for a ride at the dealer
    Thanks!!
    Lupe

Spyder Garage

Default Mala suerte..!!

checked on cheapcycleparts.com and that unit runs $982.00. Don't know if they have them or not. But here is the question..if the handling was working for you can they clear the code and you ryde on till you can replace it..?? If it does not go into limp mode the steering may just be heavier in occasions..de todas maneras..buena suerte..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    checked on cheapcycleparts.com and that unit runs $982.00. Don't know if they have them or not. But here is the question..if the handling was working for you can they clear the code and you ryde on till you can replace it..?? If it does not go into limp mode the steering may just be heavier in occasions..de todas maneras..buena suerte..!!
    That's what confuses me, the steering does not act up at all, i would say if it didn't go into limp mode after 3000 miles chances are that it will work for another 3000, but there is always the "what if"
    Darn it!! i wish i was rich instead of good looking!!!

Spyder Garage

My DPS recently failed and I did not notice at all...until it was replaced and I could tell the difference. Several owners of the very first Spyders had the same thing, their DPS's never worked, but they had nothing to compare to and could not tell. I don't know why the DPS triggers a check engine light, but I suspect it is related to the update released last year that maade limp mode a little more forgiving. I suppose they elected to warn us another way. If yours is like mine, it may eventually go into limp mode. Ours never stranded us, though, I even rode 140 miles in limp mode, at freeway speeds. Mine acted up and angered Miss Nanny for a while before it caused the limp mode. It very likely was not working for weeks or months before it got real bad, though. If the Spyder is not going into limp mode, and the steering effort is tolerable, and there is no VSS warning on the display, you should be able to continue to ride if you choose to do so.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    Did it throw any codes at you?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your riding an SM just pull the DPS fuse and ride on. You'll get the message across the display but nothing more.....other than no power steering.
    Also, that will truly show that your DPS isn't working. If you don't notice a difference in steering with the fuse pulled, then it's been faulty for awhile. It's a pretty noticeable difference in steering effort at slow speeds, especially parking lot maneuvers.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    If your riding an SM just pull the DPS fuse and ride on. You'll get the message across the display but nothing more.....other than no power steering.
    Also, that will truly show that your DPS isn't working. If you don't notice a difference in steering with the fuse pulled, then it's been faulty for awhile. It's a pretty noticeable difference in steering effort at slow speeds, especially parking lot maneuvers.
    I ride an 09 semi automatic, i will check the fuse if i can figure out which one it is, if the dps is not working now it never has in all the time we have had it, my wife rides it just fine and never complained about hard steering, i am tempted to have her ride it on the next ride but it will be a 2000 mile round trip and there are some roads where there is nothing for many miles, would hate for it to go into limp mode in the middle of nowhere, that would make ME go into limp mode!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

There was a recall on all 08/09's [DPS] Could be possible yours was never done ,Or was done and failed again like some did, In that case it might/should be covered under the safety recall....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IIRC the front box 5amp fuse for the DPS also controls the TCM so tread lightly there. The big fuse under the right side seat is for the DPS motor itself. Either one will shut down the DPS. I've ridden a bit here and there with those fuses pulled and have nothing but the annoying scrolling message. No limp mode. I actually think its nicer to ride with no DPS.....
    However, mine is a 12' SM
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't really know if my dps working right? No fault lite but my handle bar is hard to turn.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    I don't really know if my dps working right? No fault lite but my handle bar is hard to turn.
    At a standstill, Or while your moving?? At rest it's a little hard , It's not like a car which has a power steering pump, Were as the Spyder is electric and needs some momentum to help turn..

Spyder Garage

It appears that Scotty and Boborgera have hit the nail on the head. If it never worked, you are surely not going to miss it. I had both a 2008 and 2009 and both seemed a little easier to steer after I had the DPS recall done on them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    At a standstill, Or while your moving?? At rest it's a little hard , It's not like a car which has a power steering pump, Were as the Spyder is electric and needs some momentum to help turn..

Thank you so much
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My DPS recently failed and I did not notice at all...until it was replaced and I could tell the difference. Several owners of the very first Spyders had the same thing, their DPS's never worked, but they had nothing to compare to and could not tell. I don't know why the DPS triggers a check engine light, but I suspect it is related to the update released last year that maade limp mode a little more forgiving. I suppose they elected to warn us another way. If yours is like mine, it may eventually go into limp mode. Ours never stranded us, though, I even rode 140 miles in limp mode, at freeway speeds. Mine acted up and angered Miss Nanny for a while before it caused the limp mode. It very likely was not working for weeks or months before it got real bad, though. If the Spyder is not going into limp mode, and the steering effort is tolerable, and there is no VSS warning on the display, you should be able to continue to ride if you choose to do so.
    Hadn't heard about this. Can you share a little more of the sequence of events? Like what makes you suspicious that it was not working for some time, and if that is correct, why not any DPS warnings or codes? And then what eventually made it go into limp mode? Riding without DPS sounds fine, but limp mode does not, even the new improved limp mode. Would appreciate any details you can provide. When you're not watching them dig your new foundation...

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Scotty,
    Did it throw any codes at you?
    Not a one, but I don't know if the dealer found any occurred codes.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, i picked up the spyder sfter the oil change, will ride it with the bad dps and see what happens, still not acting up so will see what happens

Spyder Garage

Im new too the Spyder Mines a 08, but right after I got it home and was riding it..will say seller told me and said no prob If anything needs too be fixed.... I wasnt concerned. But put 3000Km Or so 1800 miles and was fixxed or warrantied By BRP. I also havent noticed a diff other than light isnt saying check DPS ....................Doug

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    There was a recall on all 08/09's [DPS] Could be possible yours was never done ,Or was done and failed again like some did, In that case it might/should be covered under the safety recall....
    Already tried that, no luck, you know its very hard to get the manufacturer to pay for something!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Hadn't heard about this. Can you share a little more of the sequence of events? Like what makes you suspicious that it was not working for some time, and if that is correct, why not any DPS warnings or codes? And then what eventually made it go into limp mode? Riding without DPS sounds fine, but limp mode does not, even the new improved limp mode. Would appreciate any details you can provide. When you're not watching them dig your new foundation...
    I wish I had the answers for you. I don't have many, I'm afraid. I am the one that put the "long time" tag on things, just from how much easier the steering was after the DPS replacement. I had noticed it seemed harder in the Spring, but figured the winter layoff just wimped me out. I had a few isolated nanny incidents before our Maggie Valley trip, where the VSS light came on and the steering seemed to stiffen in a tight turn. When we were riding in Maggie Valley these incidents became numerous in the twisties, with the added fun of the engine cutting back in some turns. No limp modes, check engine lights (the new, lighter limp mode?) or faults to that point. I suspected a traction problem or a failing sensor, but it never was more than a nuisance...other than wearing me out way more than I expected. I figured maybe I was just sick and weak...or getting old . On the way home, heading up a steep grade on the freeway in KY, limp mode hit, the check engine light came on, and the Spyder coasted to a stop. I was able to restart but not reset the DPS warning and check engine light. There were no active faults. The full orange screen was able to be reduced to the small box if I hit the mode button every time it came on thereafter. I never was able to see an active code when I called them up, even while riding. I rode all the way to Corbin that way...about 120-140 miles. After a long gas and snack stop (not related ), the Spyder was fine. Perhaps the DPS had cooled down by that time or something. At the next stop, for lunch, the throttle body failed, but it reset, too. We made it home OK...and stopped worrying after another tank of gas. Only one more DPS incident after that, and a couple of TB faults. I was checking at the dealer to set up an appointment when the TB went out completely as I was leaving the parking lot. They put it on BUDS right away, and ordered a DPS and throttle body that day. I don't know what the tech saw, but something must have been obvious.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUCK SPYDER View Post
    Im new too the Spyder Mines a 08, but right after I got it home and was riding it..will say seller told me and said no prob If anything needs too be fixed.... I wasnt concerned. But put 3000Km Or so 1800 miles and was fixxed or warrantied By BRP. I also havent noticed a diff other than light isnt saying check DPS ....................Doug
    When was that?? Did you talked to anybody in particular to make it happen??

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

When my DPS Failed, [08] It would take me on a white knuckle flight, By turning off and on in mid turns.
    And no limp or codes.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    When was that?? Did you talked to anybody in particular to make it happen??
    I just stopped by BRP and asked the fella about it had CHECK DPS was on coming across the screen and said I heard there was a recall on this, he was skeptical but he put my serial number in computer and said yes there is. They had the new kit there and I dropped it off a week later and was fixxed. This was late July of this year. Doug

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On the way home, heading up a steep grade on the freeway in KY, limp mode hit, the check engine light came on, and the Spyder coasted to a stop. I was able to restart but not reset the DPS warning and check engine light. There were no active faults. The full orange screen was able to be reduced to the small box if I hit the mode button every time it came on thereafter. I never was able to see an active code when I called them up, even while riding. I rode all the way to Corbin that way...about 120-140 miles. After a long gas and snack stop (not related ), the Spyder was fine. Perhaps the DPS had cooled down by that time or something. At the next stop, for lunch, the throttle body failed, but it reset, too. We made it home OK...and stopped worrying after another tank of gas. Only one more DPS incident after that, and a couple of TB faults. I was checking at the dealer to set up an appointment when the TB went out completely as I was leaving the parking lot. They put it on BUDS right away, and ordered a DPS and throttle body that day. I don't know what the tech saw, but something must have been obvious.
    Please, don't tell me we're having a second round of TB faults and DPS faults. Please...

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Please, don't tell me we're having a second round of TB faults and DPS faults. Please...
    Who knows. This was my second TB replacement...but I never had the very last update that supposedly did even more to correct the problem. My first TB replacement was very early in the game. As to the DPS...things happen! I really am not concerned at this point, but I have a few years of BEST left.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok, i won't tell you but,,,,,we do,,,
    The dealer checked my serial number and to outstanding recalls on it, they already replaced it once.
    Does anybody have the direct number for BRP and a contact name?