Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Saddle bags..Why are we stuck with one type.

Why are we stuck with one kind of saddlebag? I saw givi makes a nice, inexpensive set of saddle bags for around 250.00 or so for the pair, the E21, But theres no mounts for it for the spyder, instead we seem to be locked into these 500+ dollar set of saddlebags. And they only get more expensive from there, to the corbin ones. Do they make a mount for the E21 saddlebags, because I have not been able to find any for the spyder.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Why are we stuck with one kind of saddlebag? I saw givi makes a nice, inexpensive set of saddle bags for around 250.00 or so for the pair, the E21, But theres no mounts for it for the spyder, instead we seem to be locked into these 500+ dollar set of saddlebags. And they only get more expensive from there, to the corbin ones. Do they make a mount for the E21 saddlebags, because I have not been able to find any for the spyder.
    You can always get a set of soft bags; ie Nelson Rigg 850's or 950's For less than two hundred ....

Spyder Garage

I used soft saddlebags for the longest time and got by just fine. I put givi saddlebags on a previous Spyder and did not care for them that much. Now I have a 55 lite top case mounted to the sports rack that came with the new to me bike and this works very well for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We are stuck with one kind of hard Givi bag because no one else wants to put in the R&D to design a new/different rack.

I have the same Givi V35's on my Versys and love them. They hold a lot, offer great protection and look good, IMHO. They look much better than soft sided bags - again IMHO.

I have a pair of V35's I got for my Spyder, but prefer the look without them. Not coincidentally, they are for sale in the Classified section.
    --
    Central Arkansas
    2010 RS-S SE5 Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Another Reason

Due to the young age of Spyder's on the market. Unlike Honda or HD Spyder's are the new kid on the street corner. It will get better if the popularity continues to grow as it is now. The new kid on the street gets the least amount of the accessory market until he makes a good showing as to sales and longevity.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Give it some time, and the touring accessories will start to appear...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The problem with soft bags is security. Leaving soft luggage strapped to my bike when it's going to be out of my sight for an extended period makes me rather nervous. Locking hard bags secure your stuff as well as the frunk does.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

I also believe it is just a matter of time. Its a matter of how many the manufacturer can sell.

Remember when Vetter was pretty much the only fairing, trunk, and saddle bag set ups you could buy. I had that set up on a 850 Suzuki and a 650 Kawasaki.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Time will tell..!!

we only use our luggage when traveling overnight/s. We like the look of the roadster without trunks and bags. We made our own hardware/rack for our luggage. But like Bob said it will be a while till the manufacturers will venture into this market..soft bags will work for you in the mean time or make/have made the hardwear for the less expensive bags...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You could do what many of us do

Get the bags you want and fab up the mounts yourself, if you can't or don't have tools to do so
    any good welding shop can do it for you in no time. I saw a set of 1500 GoldWing bags on a
    Spyder RS it looks strange but he liked it...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post