Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenders Gone

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsta View Post
    Can you take pics of your back fender? Did you relocate the plate?
    I used the bolts that you currently use for the license plate, pre drilled the holes underneath and screwed it on. You can see the light I added just above it to keep it lit up. I have been pulled over with it and the office said nothing about not having any fenders or the way the plate is mounted

2012-03-19_13-25-31_514.jpg2012-03-19_13-24-39_159.jpg

Spyder Garage

What kindve light is that SYD3ER? Is it LED? Any closeups?

Sorry for so many questions but Im thinking of doing exactly what you did but I cant seem to do a search for plate lights that dont show nothing but LED lights.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not sure about the front fenders...yet.

Here's my back fender gone and my plate relocation.

--
    Central Arkansas
    2010 RS-S SE5 Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daltmeyer View Post
    What kindve light is that SYD3ER? Is it LED? Any closeups?

Sorry for so many questions but Im thinking of doing exactly what you did but I cant seem to do a search for plate lights that dont show nothing but LED lights.
    It is an LED. Picked them up on ebay from a recommendation from another member. Came in a 2 pk so if it ever goes bad I have another to swap with. As you can see from the link..they are CHEAP!! So to get the setup I did all you need are these. Fender relocation for about $5?? Cant go wrong in my mind. Then i took and used the same quick disconnect from the rear fender light so if I ever need to remove the body piece I can disconnect the wire from that plug and completely remove it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SHIP-Whit...34162b&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

SPYD3R, I suppose I could use the both of those lights as the mounting points on the splash pan no? Wire them both into the quick connect instead of just one should work correct?

I like the way you did this mod. I think getting the plate off the swingarm is important but not sure I want to go with the zx14 fender or a fender eliminator bracket. Just not sure of clearance if I bottom out I dont want the plate destroyed or lost.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

SPYD3R, I suppose I could use the both of those lights as the mounting points on the splash pan no? Wire them both into the quick connect instead of just one should work correct?

I like the way you did this mod. I think getting the plate off the swingarm is important but not sure I want to go with the zx14 fender or a fender eliminator bracket. Just not sure of clearance if I bottom out I dont want the plate destroyed or lost.
    I was going to use both lights but the left one would hit the battery box and kink the wire so I just centered the one. I used to have the fender eliminator kit (didn't last long before the rear tire tore it off) Wish I would have done what I have now to begin with. So cheap, easy, and just looks good and clean.

Under Panel.jpgLicense Plate.jpgInstalled.jpg

Spyder Garage

Yeah that relocator bracket set up looked good before it got destroyed. Thanks for the tip so I can avoid that.

I wonder how many kaw zx14 fenders got torn off? I happened to win one on ebay for a dollar just in case I went that route but I think your under splash pan idea is probably the safest bet so I just ordered some of those tag lights you mentioned.

Any idea if the LEDs are replaceable? Im ignorant to LEDs sorry if stupid question but I just ordered a couple sets of those lights just in case.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Zx14 fender torn off? Myself and a good friend have been running that setup for about 2 years now. Nothing hits or makes contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't have thought of this but having no rear fender looks really sweet. Reminds me of the first year the REV sleds came out with the "beaver tail". People were pulling those off as fast as they could. I might have to give this a try.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Zx14 fender torn off? Myself and a good friend have been running that setup for about 2 years now. Nothing hits or makes contact.

Yeah I was just wondering. Now I know. I like the way you did yours as well. At least I think it was you that posted pics and the whole process. I may go this route.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I wouldn't have thought of this but having no rear fender looks really sweet. Reminds me of the first year the REV sleds came out with the "beaver tail". People were pulling those off as fast as they could. I might have to give this a try.
    I like the looks of the stock fender and as much rain as Ive encountered it sure is nice to have. However, I have a feeling Im going to be going through lots of plate lights as they have started to bust on me. The whole fender is known to fall apart actually and with the miles Im putting on mine Im probably a prime candidate for further problems so I might go ahead and do one of these mods.

Ive no reason to worry about it but I really dont want the police to have an obvious reason to pull me over. I check my lights pre-ride but the first good bump can blow this light.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I was just wondering. Now I know. I like the way you did yours as well. At least I think it was you that posted pics and the whole process. I may go this route.
    Thanks.
    I must have Mis-read. Thought you were saying that people were having problems with contact. Sorry about that!
    You do have to run the zx14 fender as far back as you can and it does fit up better with the BRP sport rack installed.

For fronts I'm a big fanboy of the 2013 fenders......however, it "might" be a problem when doing new front tires as there is now less clearance. Wondering if slightly larger and more readily available larger sized 14" tires will fit. Probably be forced to go to the 15" wheels or stay with the stock kenda tires....blah.

Spyder Garage

Yeah that relocator bracket set up looked good before it got destroyed. Thanks for the tip so I can avoid that.

I wonder how many kaw zx14 fenders got torn off? I happened to win one on ebay for a dollar just in case I went that route but I think your under splash pan idea is probably the safest bet so I just ordered some of those tag lights you mentioned.

Any idea if the LEDs are replaceable? Im ignorant to LEDs sorry if stupid question but I just ordered a couple sets of those lights just in case.
    The LEDs are not replaceable, but at the cost of buying another set if something happens, not a bad deal. LEDs last forever too so you should never have a problem with it.

Spyder Garage

Default i love it

but when it rains u get so wet its crazy , water goes up and falls right on u lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    The LEDs are not replaceable, but at the cost of buying another set if something happens, not a bad deal. LEDs last forever too so you should never have a problem with it.
    Good to know. Thanks! Im glad I ordered a couple sets.

I think Im gonna try the Kawasaki fender and maybe sooner than I thought since today at work I was wondering how much weight Im gonna shed doing this. Im always interested in making the machine as light as possible. Trying to talk myself into it I guess.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

If anyone is interested, this is the back of the splash pan. The wire on the bottom is obviously the LED light and it is connected to the stock fender light so I kept the quick disconnect when removing the splash pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Try these
    How do you stay on ????

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    I was going to use both lights but the left one would hit the battery box and kink the wire so I just centered the one. I used to have the fender eliminator kit (didn't last long before the rear tire tore it off) Wish I would have done what I have now to begin with. So cheap, easy, and just looks good and clean.

Under Panel.jpgLicense Plate.jpgInstalled.jpg
    do you have the vendor for this bracket?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to know. Thanks! Im glad I ordered a couple sets.

I think Im gonna try the Kawasaki fender and maybe sooner than I thought since today at work I was wondering how much weight Im gonna shed doing this. Im always interested in making the machine as light as possible. Trying to talk myself into it I guess.

The back fender and all the brackets are a LOT heavier than you'd imagine! Wait til you pull it off! Just for fun take it off as one assembly....,It weighs a TON!....haha

Spyder Garage

do you have the vendor for this bracket?
    They are not in business anymore. Would strongly recommend against it anyway.

Spyder Garage

Today I removed my fender and installed the zx14 fender. I followed DrewNJs thread and changed things a bit.

I used 2 mounting points: The rear splash pan/bottom sport rack bolt(used a longer one) and another screw right at the bottom rearmost point of the sport rack(auto license plate screw). The two points are only 1 1/4" apart and in a straight line but its a solid mount and pretty easy in case it needs to come off to get to work on things.

The wire is slipped through the crack between the rear lights and the splash pan and zipped tied out of the way of the tire.

I didnt trim the fender like DrewNJ but I might later. But I did mount the swingarm trim from the RT and also used the two reflectors from the zx14 on the swingarm.

I like it! Big thanks to DrewNJ! Sorry for the crappy pics. The fender is dirty haha. Ill clean it later.It was dark when I finished so I just took it for a ride and then snapped these:

Last edited by daltmeyer; 09-14-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what did you think of the weight of that stock fender??....
    Nice work!

Spyder Garage

I threw the whole kit on my digital bathroom scale and its a 6.8 lb loss of pure fat.

The mounting torx bolts with 10 mm nuts system is a pure joke. I had the right tools and even then its a task of patience and persistence and luck.

Torx head bolts have NO BUSINESS putting actual metal together. Panels? Fine. But when you need a wrench with some torque those itty bitty torx bits are pure hell. Theyre screw driver bits IMO. I want real bolts I can put a wrench on!

Good riddance to the fender.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

Sorry for hijacking the thread! Im gonna post a couple more pics of the cleaned up and better lighted fender as they upload.

But first heres a pic of the underside of the fender mounted up with the longer bolt in the original bottom sport rack/rear splash pan and then the license plate screw in the rear most tip under the sport rack. Later I will clean up the wire. Now that Ive thought about it, I can straighten it out and it will be perfect.

Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi