Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    All I'm saying is, there is a big difference between riding around on the weekend and taking a 20,000 mile road trip... when you are going on an extended trip, there is a NEED for dependability in your bike... not saying we are hard core.. and there is nothing wrong with weekend trips, we enjoy those very much!....... just that we demand a bike that is road worthy for a long haul.......

Well said
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

So what is your answer to the problem? open to any ideas....but I do like the idea of silly pop!!!!! having some tonight!!!!
    I blocked the air flow from coming out from under the seat. Now more comfortable to ride. It is still hot but no more than my 09 GS was. No more hot gas cap. More air moving past the master cylinder to keep it cool. It works.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I blocked the air flow from coming out from under the seat. Now more comfortable to ride. It is still hot but no more than my 09 GS was. No more hot gas cap. More air moving past the master cylinder to keep it cool. It works.
    Care to explain how and what you did?
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    Care to explain how and what you did?
    Blocked the space above the center frame. That is where the glove box is on the RT.

IMG_00000093.jpg

Filled the space between the inner and outer tupperware. Both sides.

IMG_00000096.jpg

Now I have not heard any complaints about heat on a RS and no melted manifolds either. It may be built differently.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Good gear saved my life. My helmet was ruined. My gloves were worn through. My leather jacket could not be unzipped, as the zipper had welded together. My boots were ground away, you could see my sox. My body: 2 fractured ribs, dislocated shoulder only. It took three months to heal--and I was going only 25 mph!

I "gear up" every time I ride. I hope you do too. But it is your choice. Just don't expect empathy if you do not gear up, and then you crash. Nobody can predict when some drunken a-hole violates right of way and you slam into him. Nobody can plan on NOT crashing. You can only prepare and attempt to prevent the worst outcomes.

No matter how you argue it, on a two wheeler, a trike, or a Spyder, a wreck is going to hurt you a lot more than it would if you were in a cage. I saw a kid once who had a fractured femur. He said "it wasn't my fault. The other guy violated my right of way." I asked the kid if the other guy was injured. The kid said, "No."

If you don't prepare, if you don't train, if you don't use protective equipment, then one day your youthful arrogance will cause you pain. When that happens, do not turn to me for empathy, or expect me to pay your medical bills--through insurance premiums or taxes.

in short, enjoy the sport of riding, but for the love of God, and your family, gear up, get professionally trained, and don't ever EVER have a drink (even one) within 12 hours before you ride--EVER.
    Case in point . . . I was on my7 way to a ryde about 60 miles from home, yesterday. I merged onto I-70 from Rt 340 in Maryland. As I was cruising down the right lane, a car slowly pulled up on my left, passing me, gradually. I glanced at it . . . and the driver was looking down, obviously texting. And, to my dismay, his car was driving right toward me. I started to the right, laying on my horn. My right front wheel was over the rumble strip before he stopped drifting into my lane and jerked back into his. You just never know when an idiot will do something idiotic . . . and that is what they do!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Man if you think the 2013s run hot wait for the 2014s with the new 1400cc !!!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Didn't take long for this thread to change topic.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default One of the main differences between 2013 and other models

That was not a topic change, it is known as hijacking!

KYSPYDER

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Gear Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Good gear saved my life. .......

If you don't prepare, if you don't train, if you don't use protective equipment, then one day your youthful arrogance will cause you pain. When that happens, do not turn to me for empathy, or expect me to pay your medical bills--through insurance premiums or taxes.

in short, enjoy the sport of riding, but for the love of God, and your family, gear up, get professionally trained, and don't ever EVER have a drink (even one) within 12 hours before you ride--EVER.
    Mine too .... and I was hit head on (typical motorcycle cage incident where the young driver turned left in front of me). Because of my gear and the sturdy bike I was riding (a BMW K75 RT, custom built just for me), I walked away with only bruises and a VERY sore sciatic nerve where the jacket / pants zipper had been slammed into the nerve. Like you, my bike was a total loss. So, I am an ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) kind of gal ... even on the hottest days.

Did you know it has been proven that you actually stay COOLER on hot days WITH a jacket that without? The reason for this is that without the jacket your sweat evaporates too fast and can't cool you. With gear, the sweat is allowed to evaporate slowly and the body's natural air conditioner works better. On really hot days I have been known to soak my shirt with ice water and even wear a "cool collar" filled with ice if the ride is expected to be longer than about 30 minutes.

BTW ... good gear also saved spydercowboy (aka hogcowboy) when he slid off the road in rain and was flipped into a ditch.

Best Regards .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default hot under the seat

I don't have a 2013 but a 2011 RT-s. In the very hot weather this summer it became uncomfortable with all the heat venting out from under the seat onto my upper legs. I too thought about some way to install vents behind my legs in the upper portion of the TW. This would allow the heat built up in that area to escape. The vents would need to be able to be closed when riding 2 up as that is where the passengers legs are and also during the colder months to give me the rider some additional warmth. I still think it is possible and will scrounge the junk yards for some dash board AC vents to see what might work and maybe look OK.

Spyder Garage

I know on my 2011, the storage compartment and the tupperware around it gets very hot. I have a mesh seat which does not get hot at all EVER so my legs are fine and i also always have either riding pants on or jeans at the very least.

i just went for a ride, 80 degrees, cloudy and after about 20 miles put my hand on the compartment....very hot. Nature of the beast I guess.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Glad I bought a new 2012 RS SM5. There just seems like a lot less that can go wrong. Enjoy the wind everyone!
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where were we when this converstion went, "free-ranging" on us?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default A week ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Case in point . . . I was on my7 way to a ryde about 60 miles from home, yesterday. I merged onto I-70 from Rt 340 in Maryland. As I was cruising down the right lane, a car slowly pulled up on my left, passing me, gradually. I glanced at it . . . and the driver was looking down, obviously texting. And, to my dismay, his car was driving right toward me. I started to the right, laying on my horn. My right front wheel was over the rumble strip before he stopped drifting into my lane and jerked back into his. You just never know when an idiot will do something idiotic . . . and that is what they do!
    About a week ago I was ryding through the mountains near my house--Lake Gregory area in So Cal--I was driving about 5 mph above the speed limit. A soccer mom in a mini-van rushed up behind me, tailgating within 6", and started laying on her horn. It irritated me a lot. At the nearest wide place in the road I pulled over to let the idiot pass. About 6 miles further up the road, I saw the mini van was in a fender bender with a fire truck. She apparently took a corner too hot and veered into the oncoming lane. I stopped and gave my witness statement to the CHP officer who arrived. He arrested the woman for DUI. She had two children with her who, according to the officer, would probably end up in foster care.

Nobody can predict when you are going to encounter jerks like the one in the quoted post, or the one I encountered last week. All you can do is: gear up, get trained, don't drink, and don't get angry. Anger on the part of a motorcyclist is very dangerous.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are about 3 different topics of conversation all going on at the same time in here!....haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that all?
    It happens...

Spyder Garage

Default Who says

O
    Ok.. folks seem to want to know what is different between the 13 and other model spyders.... Previous models had an open area between the top cover and the side covers. these are enclosed on the 13's... I'm sure it was to reduce heat to the rider, but it is cooking everything under the Tupperware. On previous models you could see the exhaust pipe on the left side... now it is covered .. holding in more heat.... the right side is equally blocked. Keeping the rider cool at the expense of the bike is not a good deal... HEY... it's a motorcycle.... it gets hot.... the heat needs to get OUT!!!!! you are not supposed to ride in shorts and flip flops.... We want a bike that vents and cools itself ...
    I ride in shorts and flip flops every day 365 days per year. Now who wants to tell me I'm not supposed to. Are you with the Feds, PETA or from Mars. Get a Life.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    O
    I ride in shorts and flip flops every day 365 days per year. Now who wants to tell me I'm not supposed to. Are you with the Feds, PETA or from Mars. Get a Life.
    just don't ask me to pay your medical bills by taxes or through insurance premiums.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    O

I think you are my new best friend.

Guess some don't understand cruising around the beaches.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The insurance guy part of me recoils in horror...
    But the rest of me says, Even thought I'm an ATGATT rider!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The big difference is the later don't catch on fire.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool It's time

Hey Bob! How's your sister?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

Ever seen those "Transporter" movies? That's me. I'm a driver.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I think you are my new best friend.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe G View Post