Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake failure light

Advice please! I just got my spyder out of shop. It needed a new rear tire, and I had the parking brake looked at because it had some occasional slippage. Ended up putting a new rear brake rotor and disc on my 2012 RT, and a new motor which controls the tightness on the parking brake line when it is engaged. I rode it home with no trouble on Friday. Saturday it did not get ridden, as I had some car errands to run. This AM was going to take a friend for a ride before church. The bike flashed an orange BRAKE FAILURE sign on the display, and I could not disengage the parking brake. I turned the engine off, let it set for a few minutes, turned it back on with same results. The red parking brake light stays on no matter how many times I try to toggle it off. Obviously no ride, and had to call it off with my friend. I have a car, so transportation not a problem. But I usually do ride the spyder to work. Have any of you had this happen? What advice? Do I need to get it towed back to dealer on Tuesday?
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

update- after leaving bike alone in garage for an hour, I went out to start it and it turned over with no warnings, and I was able to disengage the parking brake- according to the red dash light, which went on and off with the toggle. No brake failure light. Still did not ride it and going to church in car. What do you think?
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Spyder Garage

Another thing to do is check the fluid under the seat... Make sure that the floats in it are not stuck.. That can cause brake failure light to come on...

Spyder Garage

were you able to pull up any codes?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely check the brake fluid.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Because it did not blow the fuse and it worked the following AM, I would guerss that parking brake was not adjusted properly so the cable is snagging on the sheath or the drum can't return sufficiently, the position switch is sticking due to debris or misalignment, or the cable needs lubrication. I would report the problem to the dealer and have them go over it more carefully.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!