Thread: Trade In Value

Spyder Garage

Default Trade In Value

We just returned from a dealer and asked what they would give us on trading in a 2011 HD Road Glide Ultra with 27,000 miles and our 2013 ST-Limited with 4700 miles on it for a 2014 RT-Limited with trailer.
    Now I know they do not have the pricing on the 2014's yet, but I assume it will be list that they go with so they can quote me the trade in price that they would give me.
    I assumed correctly that they would low ball me on the Harley, but was surprised that they would do the same on the ST.
    HD = $13,500
    ST = $15,600

$15,600 for a bike that sold for $26,000 this spring
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only thing that I can suggest; is that you take a look in www.KBB.com or www.NADA.com
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ouch. Maybe you'd be better off selling it yourself.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is what dealers do. Remember, that dealer has to buy it from you at a price low enough to make a profit on what they give you for the bike. The only way to come close to market value on any used vehicle is to sell it yourself. We had a low mileage Toyota that my wife drove for 12 years . . . had 60,000 miles. Kelly Blue Book, retail was $4,000 . . . we bought her a 2013 Corolla and the dealer offered $1,800 for the Echo! There was no way I was giving them that kind of deal, so I kept it and traded it to a young fella with a wife and a couple kids for some yard work that I wasn't ever going to get done . . . too much digging!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I usually don't get into pricing on new, or trades to get new, because the possibilities are all over the place.

Generally: a trade in price offered by a dealer will usually be at $1,000 to $2,000 less than they anticipate they can sell it for. Some dealers even want more. Accessories if you have them usually count for zilch. If you can get 50% of value--you are doing very good.

A current model, (2013 for a 2014) is where you are usually going to take the biggest hit. Add to that, the fact that the 2013's are somewhat questionable--and it makes the situation even worse. I am guessing trades/resale on 2013's are going to be impaired because of all the bad press. Usually you will not find a good price in KBB or similar for a less than one year old trade in.

If you are serious, you may do better by selling the 2013 outright, rather than trading it in.

A little surprised the dealer was willing to take in two vehicles in trade on one. That is also why you are getting such a lowball offer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-31-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sell it yourself if you want to get the most bang for your buck...
    The dealer isn't in business for YOUR benefit; he's in it for his own family! He's got to do what he needs to, in order to make a profit...
    ...and I don't begrudge him that...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The dealer isn't in business for YOUR benefit; he's in it for his own family! He's got to do what he needs to, in order to make a profit...
    on that thought give him both bikes for $500.00 each. so he can feed his own family very

well. on Lobster. Ha Ha

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

with Bob..check kelly blue book, nada they give you the three prices. Go from there, selling it yourself will always get you the best deal...good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bob,

I don't begrudge them trying to make a profit, but a $5,000 to $7,000 profit on each bike is to much and then add in the profit on the new outfit. Now that is excessive!

I will be checking with other dealers and see what they will offer. I also will be selling my HD myself. As for the ST I will not accept a $10,000 hit so we may just keep that and add the trailer if I cannot get a better trade offer.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's actually not quite that simple...
    They don't start showing profit until the trade-ins are moved. How long they sit; nobody knows!
    They're going to build as much money up front into the equation just in case they get caught with a bike that doesn't sell...

They DO have more traffic in their showrooms, than you'd ever see in your front yard... But if you can be patient; selling the bikes on your own will always yield more money... and more bargaining postion for you!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They don't start showing profit until the trade-ins are moved. How long they sit; nobody knows!
    They're going to build as much money up front into the equation just in case they get caught with a bike that doesn't sell...

They DO have more traffic in their showrooms, than you'd ever see in your front yard... But if you can be patient; selling the bikes on your own will always yield more money... and more bargaining postion for you!
    Then also they might not know what they're looking up on your ST - Limited and just giving you a low price on a ST

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the key here is the two bike trade in. i'd be curious to know what they would have allowed you if it was just the spyder for a spyder! the addition of the hd and the total of two bikes threw it off!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WV Spyder Ryder View Post
    Then also they might not know what they're looking up on your ST - Limited and just giving you a low price on a ST
    They knew this is a limited as they commented on how clean and like new the limited was. The sales lady seemed to know Spyders quite well. She even stated before she gave me the value that there is a $3000 rebate on new limiteds.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    I think the key here is the two bike trade in. i'd be curious to know what they would have allowed you if it was just the spyder for a spyder! the addition of the hd and the total of two bikes threw it off!
    Good point and I will be asking about that as the HD should sell fast, or at lest by spring.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Bob,

I do understand where they are coming from due to the fact that I used to be in car sales and we were always told to low ball any offer, but I was surprised with the 40% reduction on the limited.

I do know that I can make more money selling them myself. I was just hoping to avoid the hassle of dealing with the " I want to test ride it, but how do these things work since I have never ridden a motorcycle before" and the " I will be over in One hour " and they never show up
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Bob
    I do know that I can make more money selling them myself. I was just hoping to avoid the hassle of dealing with the " I want to test ride it, but how do these things work since I have never ridden a motorcycle before" and the " I will be over in One hour " and they never show up
    You can make more money selling the bike's yourself,however you need to have them priced right to sell quickly and selling them quick also depends on your location.
    Also,easier to sell if you have the titles.
    If you list them on CL,be prepared for spammers!
    As far as test rides,cash in hand before test ride is one approach.Another is no ride at all which can make buyers walk.

Yes trading them in is the easiest way if you can live with the loss.
    Last edited by Spyder4Tess; 09-01-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

" Accessories if you have them usually count for zilch"

That is until the dealer goes to sell that bike. Then they tell the prospective buyers about all the extras on the bike.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen values ranging from 28, to 40 percent for the farkles...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    " Accessories if you have them usually count for zilch"

That is until the dealer goes to sell that bike. Then they tell the prospective buyers about all the extras on the bike.
    You got that right. When I traded in my RS I was told the comfort seat added no value. That was until I told them I was going to put the OEM seat back on.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Will the dealer consider putting them on his floor on consignment? That way you set the price but get the benefit of his traffic. My dealer in Las Vegas does this frequently

Also, have any of you looked at KBB prices? They are pretty unrealistically high considering the deep discounts on the 2013 that the dealers are offering.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Bob,

I do understand where they are coming from due to the fact that I used to be in car sales and we were always told to low ball any offer, but I was surprised with the 40% reduction on the limited.

When I sold my wife's scooter I was not buying another bike, did not want to take a bath on the sale, or want to deal with issues selling myself. The dealership sold the scooter on consignment, and it did sell pretty fast. Dealer made their money, I got more than I would have on a trade had I been buying another bike (or just selling it to the dealership), and did not have to deal with people coming to my house.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    When I sold my wife's scooter I was not buying another bike, did not want to take a bath on the sale, or want to deal with issues selling myself. The dealership sold the scooter on consignment, and it did sell pretty fast. Dealer made their money, I got more than I would have on a trade had I been buying another bike (or just selling it to the dealership), and did not have to deal with people coming to my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Will the dealer consider putting them on his floor on consignment? That way you set the price but get the benefit of his traffic. My dealer in Las Vegas does this frequently

Also, have any of you looked at KBB prices? They are pretty unrealistically high considering the deep discounts on the 2013 that the dealers are offering.
    Looks like we were typing at the same time

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

My HD dealer does do consignment sales and I most likely do that. I have not asked my Spyder dealer yet.

As for KBB I have not looked at it for the Spyder. For the HD is has loan value listed at $20,800.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue