Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Have to agree with you Flamingobabe and you too spydersteve . Don't really appreciate being called stupid by someone who does not even know me. Don't know how y'all do it in Ohio but down south your remarks are considered rude and uncalled for.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said....I've been called a lot of things in my life "So really all 2013 owners are to blame for their stupidity " but...aficionados is not one of them...so thanks
    I was too harsh in my wording. I was trying to be sarcastic. I do not actually believe that. I just read through a lot of your posts about the heat problems you are experiencing. I just have to remember that sarcasm doesn't translate well when you type words on a FORUM page.

However, I continue to be surprised how forgiving some (spyderlovers.com) people are with BRP when members point out a serious problem such as over-heating. You paid good money for your Spyder and you should not be an experiment for them to try out their new/revised models. I don't think they are trying to solve the heating problem you are describing. I think they are trying to solve the problem that is causing them to burn up their own engines.

BRP has clearly cozied up to some members on here in order to get positive posts on this Forum that helps with their marketing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    He must have been listening to the 70's station, and gotten this song stuck in his head...
    Bob we have the same taste in music loved that album and saw BOC several times in concert
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Four times for me! ***
    I caught them in Philly TWICE on one weekend...
    *** Friday night at a downtown venue, as Soft White UnderBelly
    Saturday night at the Spectrum, as BOC...
    THAT was a weekend to remember!

*** I counted this one as a BOC concert too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Have to agree with you Flamingobabe and you too spydersteve . Don't really appreciate being called stupid by someone who does not even know me. Don't know how y'all do it in Ohio but down south your remarks are considered rude and uncalled for.
    Thanks for pointing that fact out to him...
    ...not that he'll get it; but it's a nice try!

Spyder Garage

...Four times for me! ***
    I caught them in Philly TWICE on one weekend...
    *** Friday night at a downtown venue, as Soft White UnderBelly
    Saturday night at the Spectrum, as BOC...
    THAT was a weekend to remember!

*** I counted this one as a BOC concert too!
    Like a lot of bands back then I quit liking them once they got popular. Same with Kansas and Styx. They seemed to lose their edge with Agents of Fortune and sell out. Stick it to the Man I say

Sadly Alan recently passed
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-67-20130815
    Here is one from my fav album by them
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What was this thread about again?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for pointing that fact out to him...
    ...not that he'll get it; but it's a nice try!
    Not all the jerks are on the road . . . some are on forums (not you, Bob!!)

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure that there are a lot of folks in here who would rather that I shut up and go away...
    I just hoope that There are even more folks in here, who kind of wonder what I'm going to come up with next!
    Usually; I try to look past an unkind comment... usually!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    I was too harsh in my wording. I was trying to be sarcastic. I do not actually believe that. I just read through a lot of your posts about the heat problems you are experiencing. I just have to remember that sarcasm doesn't translate well when you type words on a FORUM page.

However, I continue to be surprised how forgiving some (spyderlovers.com) people are with BRP when members point out a serious problem such as over-heating. You paid good money for your Spyder and you should not be an experiment for them to try out their new/revised models. I don't think they are trying to solve the heating problem you are describing. I think they are trying to solve the problem that is causing them to burn up their own engines.

BRP has clearly cozied up to some members on here in order to get positive posts on this Forum that helps with their marketing.
    You are nuts! Maybe someone could send him a 5,000 mile pin so he will shut up!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    Just add him to your ignore list. Take away his voice and he'll go away...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You are nuts! Maybe someone could send him a 5,000 mile pin so he will shut up!

Remember just because your are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-02-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Ann,
    Just add him to your ignore list. Take away his voice and he'll go away...
    I didn't even know there was an ignore list, until this post. Thanks. Goodbye, Knarfoh . . . don't know why you are so bitter and insulting, but at my age, I don't need that in my life.

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well my ignore list is up to 2 people now...lol
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post

Knarfoh, we may be "stupid". But at least most of us are enjoying our lives, as unposed to you, you poor, pitiful, unhappy excuse for a human being. I hope your life gets better so you won't find it necessary to spray your negativity ( that you try to disguise as sarcasm) into the lives of others. I truly hope you find help. Good luck, and Ryde Safe and happy.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just in case anybody wants to add me to their" ignore list":
    From the Home page, look down the left hand side of the screen until you see "User CP"
    hit that button...
    Again; the left hand side of the screen and down pretty near the bottom; "Edit Ignore List"
    *BING*

Fair is Fair; I'm fair game now; just like anybody else...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-02-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just in case anybody wants to add me to their" ignore list":
    From the Home page, look down the left hand side of the screen until you see "User CP"
    hit that button...
    Again; the left hand side of the screen and down pretty near the bottom; "Edit Ignore List"
    *BING*

Fair is Fair; I'm fair game now; just like anybody else...
    Nah . . . life would get too boring!

Spyder Garage

Default Should I be Surprised? Concerned?

I had my parking brake lock up on a Labor Day Ryde. If I manually put just a little pressure on the lever that the parking brake cable connects to on the rear wheel, it releases. I also have the dreaded #4 Heim Joints without the painted dot, so I called my dealer this morning (they were closed Sunday and Monday) to make an appointment. The guy in the service department had no idea that there was a pending recall for the master cylinder meltdowns. I'd think that by now, every CanAm dealer would be aware of this issue. If I was a dealer and someone came in for a service on a 2013 Spyder, any service, oil change, farkle install, whatever, I'd have my service department looking at their master cylinder to see if there was any evidence of melting, if for no other reason than to keep my customers alive! I wonder if this lack of knowledge is (or concern) is widespread . . . BRP, are your dealers qualified to maintain our Spyders . . . or are they just folks with the money to buy a franchise with no minimum training requirements for their service staff? Anyhow, I have an appointment for Tuesday, 17 Sep. Perhaps with some luck, NHTSA will have issued the recall by then, and I can get everything done at once.

Spyder Garage

From what was posted here previously, BRP has issued a "Stop Sales" order to US dealers, pending the US recall and parts availability. This notice would have been posted on the dealer Web page and probably also mailed to dealers. Having a tech be aware of it would depend on the dealer actually checking the information online or reading the notice, informing his sales staff, and then informing the remaining staff. Sales staff should be notified immediately, but in some cases that may not happen. In most dealerships it is doubtful this information would trickle down to the techs until the recall is issued, since that is all that directly affects them. At any rate, it would probably happen at a weekly staff meeting, if the dealer conducts them. It is an unfortunate thing, but most dealership employees are too busy to look at the Internet daily during the course of their duties, so delays in awareness should be expected. When you get your recall letter, you can expect your tech to be aware. Until then chances are less certain. Patience is going to be necessary to get through this, just as it was with the DPS recall. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now if they only would all sign on here...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very nice to see BRP posting here! Need to see more of that when there is issues to be addressed. Kudos! Keep it up!!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Be patient

Owners of 2013 ST/RTs all need to be patient. Easier said than done, but it is true. Many of use read this forum on a daily basis so many of us have more up to date knowledge than many of the dealer techs do. That is a fact. This is not a unique situation to Spyders.

Another consideration is that many dealerships do not have a "certified" Spyder technician. I've been told very few of the dealers selling Spyders actually have a tech that is BRP certified for the Spyder product line. That does not help matters.

We should wait and see exactly what the root cause of the heat issue is and what the correction is. At face value a recall to better shield the master cylinder cover might seem to be odd, but I suspect this is simply how the corrective actions will be taken. The recall could include several other actions. Until we see the entire list of measures being taken we should not pass judgment. I for one judge on performance, not reputation. Some owners of 2013s have heat issues, some do not. There is a logical reason for this. Let's wait and see what kind of corrective measures are going to be taken. As tough as it is, it is better to be later and get it right the first time than to be quick and get it wrong, or worse yet have to do it twice.

And yes, I agree, any 2013 Spyder ST/RT going in for service should absolutely have the master cylinder inspected by a technician. This should have been occurring for a while now, especially considering the safety aspect of the issue. If BRP has in fact issued a “stop sale” order on new units, you know they’re onto something. This isn’t an easy thing for them to do, dealers start screaming because they can’t sell units that they’re paying interest on, so things will happen faster. Having consumers screaming is one thing, having dealers screaming is yet another. BRP sells to dealers, not consumers.

I had posted my thoughts on the heat issue in another thread, and still believe there is something going on with the ECU and its fuel mapping selection process. There is likely more to this than the new location for the CAT. Could be tricked into selecting a leaner map than it should if the airbox temp sensor is whacko or getting too warm, but you’d think the DET sensor would kick in and the map would be corrected. Nobody has indicated if using non-oxy 91 fuel makes a difference compared to oxy 87, there are too many loose ends here. Knowing how the ECU on a sled picks a fuel map and then adjusts fuel flow based on sensor inputs, I’m thinking there is something going on with this process that just isn’t right. Makes me wonder if those with cold air intake mods have the heat issues, I would guess not. I have noticed how a 2013 ST runs differently each time you key off/key on, so something is changing in that process. It always seems to run good when started cold, but on a hot start things seem to be different. I am curious to see what the root cause really is here.

Spyder Garage

Default Other MC Recalls

Quite a few actually from Honda to BMW and Triumph and HD.
    http://www.thepawsmahal.com/dogs/mot...-dog-hat.shtml
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Owners of 2013 ST/RTs all need to be patient. Easier said than done, but it is true. Many of use read this forum on a daily basis so many of us have more up to date knowledge than many of the dealer techs do. That is a fact. This is not a unique situation to Spyders.

Another consideration is that many dealerships do not have a "certified" Spyder technician. I've been told very few of the dealers selling Spyders actually have a tech that is BRP certified for the Spyder product line. That does not help matters.

We should wait and see exactly what the root cause of the heat issue is and what the correction is. At face value a recall to better shield the master cylinder cover might seem to be odd, but I suspect this is simply how the corrective actions will be taken. The recall could include several other actions. Until we see the entire list of measures being taken we should not pass judgment. I for one judge on performance, not reputation. Some owners of 2013s have heat issues, some do not. There is a logical reason for this. Let's wait and see what kind of corrective measures are going to be taken. As tough as it is, it is better to be later and get it right the first time than to be quick and get it wrong, or worse yet have to do it twice.

And yes, I agree, any 2013 Spyder ST/RT going in for service should absolutely have the master cylinder inspected by a technician. This should have been occurring for a while now, especially considering the safety aspect of the issue. If BRP has in fact issued a “stop sale” order on new units, you know they’re onto something. This isn’t an easy thing for them to do, dealers start screaming because they can’t sell units that they’re paying interest on, so things will happen faster. Having consumers screaming is one thing, having dealers screaming is yet another. BRP sells to dealers, not consumers.

I had posted my thoughts on the heat issue in another thread, and still believe there is something going on with the ECU and its fuel mapping selection process. There is likely more to this than the new location for the CAT. Could be tricked into selecting a leaner map than it should if the airbox temp sensor is whacko or getting too warm, but you’d think the DET sensor would kick in and the map would be corrected. Nobody has indicated if using non-oxy 91 fuel makes a difference compared to oxy 87, there are too many loose ends here. Knowing how the ECU on a sled picks a fuel map and then adjusts fuel flow based on sensor inputs, I’m thinking there is something going on with this process that just isn’t right. Makes me wonder if those with cold air intake mods have the heat issues, I would guess not. I have noticed how a 2013 ST runs differently each time you key off/key on, so something is changing in that process. It always seems to run good when started cold, but on a hot start things seem to be different. I am curious to see what the root cause really is here.
    Sledmaster I could NOT have said it better...I Truly believe that this recall WILL NOT fix the heat issue...it might shield the melt down on the master cylinder but I agree something else is a-miss

your quote"Another consideration is that many dealerships do not have a "certified" Spyder technician. I've been told very few of the dealers selling Spyders actually have a tech that is BRP certified for the Spyder product line. That does not help matters."

I have seen this when we go into a service area to demonstrate the ROLO Spyder laser alignment system ....the tech looks at us like we are from Mars...now I do not need a certified tech to do an alignment but I sure as hell want a BRP "certified tech" working on the sensor inputs...you better know what you are doing

I have already advised my 2013 customers to watch and wait but DO NOT expect this to solve your heat issues.