Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Vehicle Stability System - Any Way to Make it Less Sensitive?

So far my wife and I have 2200 miles on our 2013 RT-S and we love it. The only complaint I have is with the VSS. When touring together, it is not an issue as it never kicks in. However, when I'm solo, I do like to take it for a spirited ride - just like you can with a Gold Wing where you can still scrape the pegs if you want to. I am no where near pushing my limits or that of the Spyder and the VSS shuts you down. It is extremely annoying and in some cases is dangerous as it alters your steering while cornering.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the sensitivity of it. I am not looking to remove it as I get why it is there. It is a safety feature which I do want, but not the way it is currently implemented.

I have come across threads that talk about disconnecting the sensors at each wheel which ultimately disables the VSS, but you also lose the ABS, traction control and speedometer. Although I wouldn't mind disabling it for a short ride, I don't want it disabled permanently.

If this question has been asked 1000 times before, then I apologize, but I've searched and have come up with nothing conclusive. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Vehicle Stability System - Any Way to Make it Less Sensitive?

Yes...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Vehicle Stability System - Any Way to Make it Less Sensitive?

Yes...
    Come on Ron. You've got to give me more than that! I've already installed your sway bar and heim joints and they actually did help to prevent the VSS from kicking in so quickly, but I'm now back up to that point where it is just way too soon. I would guess that if the sensitivity could reduced by just 25%, then I'd be happy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Come on Ron. You've got to give me more than that! I've already installed your sway bar and heim joints and they actually did help to prevent the VSS from kicking in so quickly, but I'm now back up to that point where it is just way too soon. I would guess that if the sensitivity could reduced by just 25%, then I'd be happy.
    You don't want her to go away completely. And she is not interested in changing or adjusting in any way. I would think that you're next step will need to be Elka shocks. You can then adjust your spring pre-load and valving. What I can't tell you is how effective that would be.

Spyder Garage

Default No..!!

or at least not that I know of.. I have gotten to that point but just adjust my driving to get the max out of what I have. Did sway bar and rode to a point then added the re-location blocks and am getting to where I will have to do shocks but not there yet...they could have had settings like touring, sport, race...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The VSS settings or sensitivity cannot be changed. The Spyder can be modified and some Spyders can be adjusted to make the VSS less likely to kick in. Spring preload adjustments would be an example, as would be addition of a BajaRon swaybar or other aftermarket suspension components. Adjustments in tire pressures can play a role, too. Most riders don't like to hear it, but rider technique, skill, and smoothness also matter. As you adjust to the needs of handling the Spyder, you will probably have less intervention...or learn to use the VSS to your advantage, letting it brake in the corners.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The VSS settings or sensitivity cannot be changed. The Spyder can be modified and some Spyders can be adjusted to make the VSS less likely to kick in. Spring preload adjustments would be an example, as would be addition of a BajaRon swaybar or other aftermarket suspension components. Adjustments in tire pressures can play a role, too. Most riders don't like to hear it, but rider technique, skill, and smoothness also matter. As you adjust to the needs of handling the Spyder, you will probably have less intervention...or learn to use the VSS to your advantage, letting it brake in the corners.
    I have to agree with Scotty here. The Nanny will make you a better rider if you let her teach you. Smooth and technically correct riding will get you faster than some mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    they could have had settings like touring, sport, race...
    Agreed. That is what my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has. You just change the dial and the motor behaves differently.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Most riders don't like to hear it, but rider technique, skill, and smoothness also matter. As you adjust to the needs of handling the Spyder, you will probably have less intervention...or learn to use the VSS to your advantage, letting it brake in the corners.
    Yes, I had noticed that and have adjusted my cornering technique. I try to set up turns early, stay wide and don't make any sudden steering changes. Everyday on my route to and from work, I try different things and have noticed it does make a difference.

Spyder Garage

The Nanny will make you a better rider if you let her teach you. Smooth and technically correct riding will get you faster than some mods.
    My issue though is that I have to adjust to the computer rather than riding the bike naturally.

How much of an improvement do the aftermarket shocks make? I see that on the 2013, there are no adjustments on the stockers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would be great if they had Sport, Touring, and Rain modes. I had that on my GSX-R, three different fuel maps to adjust for different kinds of riding.

But as it is, I call the Nanny the "act your age!" option.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    My issue though is that I have to adjust to the computer rather than riding the bike naturally.

How much of an improvement do the aftermarket shocks make? I see that on the 2013, there are no adjustments on the stockers.
    I'd try the swaybar first...but adjustable shocks can't do anything but help. Failure to provide adjustable shocks on the 2013s was a big booboo in my opinion. We don't all weight the same, carry the same cargo, or ride the same ways.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What happens when the nanny kicks in does something come up on the screen? As hard as I have pushed mine it should have kicked in by now but has not. I guess I gotta be a little more wreckless
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a fair amount of history in here regarding this topic...
    An attempt was made to contact Bosch to see if they'd give up some programming secrets...
    ...no reply... (No surprise!)
    Nanny is going to remain on guard.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    What happens when the nanny kicks in does something come up on the screen? As hard as I have pushed mine it should have kicked in by now but has not. I guess I gotta be a little more wreckless
    Riding hard is very subjective. One person's hard is the next person's normal. The Nanny will tap you long before you get into the 'Reckless' category. So, if you have not experienced the Nanny, you're not riding hard. I don't mean to give the wrong impression. It is not necessary to ride hard to have a good time and enjoy your Spyder. Everyone needs to ride within their comfort zone. Everyone has their own limits and there is no shame riding within them. But it can be a shame if you ride beyond them.

I have an 08 GS and I have ridden the 2013 ST. On the pre-2013 models the Nanny comes in later but more abruptly. As you make suspension modifications to stabilize the Spyder, the Nanny does not come in as soon because she senses a higher degree of driver control (and so does the driver).

I had no trouble getting the Nanny to kick in on the 2013 ST. Coming off my 08 GS it was very annoying. She was all over me. I tried smoother steering transitions but I could not get that monkey off my back.

There was no way to get it to go through the twisties nearly as fast or easily as my 08 GS. Of course you have to realize that I've got the sway bar and shock upgrades on my 08 so in that sense, it was not a fair comparison. I was a bit surprised though, as I was expecting that all the suspension improvements would make more of a difference. To be fair, it turned out that this particular ST had shock and ball joint problems. I am sure it handles better now.

The Nanny comes in sooner on the 2013 but she is more mild and not so abrupt. It's a smoother transition of control from the driver to the computer than on the pre-2013's.

With all the suspension/frame improvements on the 2013's, the potential for better handling is greater than on the pre-2013's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ron!
    We hear of "Updates" via the BUDS hookup... Can they, (or have they), offered updates to the VSS through it? Could improvements be just a quick hookup to the central processor away?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Ron!
    We hear of "Updates" via the BUDS hookup... Can they, (or have they), offered updates to the VSS through it? Could improvements be just a quick hookup to the central processor away?
    The short answer is no. To make these kinds of changes BRP would probably have to do extensive testing to accurately re-calibrate the dozens?, hundreds?, whatever parameters/inputs necessary. Lots of time and money involved, most likely. For a system that works pretty well as it is, just not worth it.

It's not like updating your operating system where the worse that can happen is you lose your data (traumatic as that is).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was hoping that a way to "adjust" Nanny's attitude toward too much fun would be easy-peasy...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was hoping that a way to "adjust" Nanny's attitude toward too much fun would be easy-peasy...
    I am not saying that it could not be adjusted, maybe even easily. But the adjustments would probably be dangerous without proper, and extensive testing. That's why you have not seen someone come out with a 'Chip' or similar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! I wasn't thinking about giving that much discretion to us mere mortals...
    I was idly wondering about BRP's ability to tinker with the settings...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    It would be great if they had Sport, Touring, and Rain modes. I had that on my GSX-R, three different fuel maps to adjust for different kinds of riding.

But as it is, I call the Nanny the "act your age!" option.
    That has nothing to do with a nanny , All that does i limit the power to the rear wheel..
    ie, similar to traction control to the rear wheel...[only]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Gixxer's setup is far less complicated...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    Just how fast are we talking about ?
    So what kind of speed is 'Pushing it ' ???
    It depends...

Spyder Garage

It depends...
    Yeah, when those are filled, you're pushing it!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I guess pushing it is a state of mind. I have been able to do 60 on my RT through curves rated 35 one up and feel there is still more I can go..... I feel more comfortable in the curves than on my sport bike....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790