Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember where I read it but the story goes that Bosch were brought to develop the Nanny because BRP discovered that their Spyder prototype could not be ridden safely in its raw state. It badly needed the VSS to make it a safe, viable proposition.

Of course, there will be those who's sense of adventure and daring is such that the very thought of a Nanny interfering with their fun is a pita. I feel sympathy for this point of view, I love speed but I hate to feel unsafe. It is possible to have safe speed and IMO there is no thrill quite like it.

To reduce the effectiveness of the Spyder's Nanny, if that were made possible, might open a can of worms. How much to reduce it before the ride becomes hazardous? I can see why a car's adjustable suspension is pointed out in this regard but a car, having a wheel at each corner, is inherently firmly planted and stable whereas it appears that the Spyder negotiating a bend is less predictable. Instability increases with cornering speed. At speed a car will break away and slide but the Spyder will lift a wheel and fall over. Not a situation I would like to find myself in.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great insight and feedback. I am learning a lot. Like I said, I do NOT want to eliminate the VSS as I know it can be a life saver, but the reality is that it kicks in WAY too early.

I took a look at the Elka shocks. I see that there is a big price range between the Stage 1 and Stage 5 offerings. Can anyone talk about what the differences are? I understand that the higher priced shocks allow for greater adjustability, but do they do a better job of "fooling" the nanny than the lower priced shocks? Personally, I think the Stage 1+R is all I would need, but I'd be willing to spend more to quiet down the nanny if necessary.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're cornering smoothly, you can ride pretty fast and hard without Nanny. If you are abrupt and rough, you can get Nanny to slap you just turning from a stop sign.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Thanks for the great insight and feedback. I am learning a lot. Like I said, I do NOT want to eliminate the VSS as I know it can be a life saver, but the reality is that it kicks in WAY too early.

I took a look at the Elka shocks. I see that there is a big price range between the Stage 1 and Stage 5 offerings. Can anyone talk about what the differences are? I understand that the higher priced shocks allow for greater adjustability, but do they do a better job of "fooling" the nanny than the lower priced shocks? Personally, I think the Stage 1+R is all I would need, but I'd be willing to spend more to quiet down the nanny if necessary.
    I don't have Elka's so take it for what it's worth. I have researched them (which really isn't the same thing as riding them. But then again, I don't know many who have ridden them all on the same machine either).

That being the case it is my feeling that (and I agree with you) the 1+R will give you nearly all the bang for the buck that you're going to get and it will save you some coin over the top of the line. That is the one that I settled on for myself. I just never pulled the trigger.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Elka stage 5 shocks are worth the extra $$ High & low speed compression dampening adj

Len at PitBull Powersports adjusted my 2011 Spyder RT stage 5 shocks, installed them on my 2013 Spyder RT-S, it is like on rails in corners, nanny does not kick in.
    The stage 5 Elka front shocks are worth the extra money for ease of having adjustment for High & Low speed compression dampening, rear stage 1+, setting up 2013 Spyder RT to your riding. If you order Elka Stage 5 RT front shocks & rear 1+, from Len he will set them up spot on!! The 2013 RT shocks are 19" eye to eye (1" longer than 2011 shocks).
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 08-31-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Mine are 19" top to bottom or hole thu hole. On the new 13 teens.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    If you are abrupt and rough, you can get Nanny to slap you just turning from a stop sign.
    I did experience this when we first got it in July. I am coming off a motorcycle and have 25 years of street experience. I quickly learned that you can't make sharp cuts or transitions with the Spyder or this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    If you're cornering smoothly, you can ride pretty fast and hard without Nanny.
    I consider this Stage 2. I worked my way up to exactly what you're describing. I set up my turns and take the widest arch I can with no sudden steering changes. Things were great for a few weeks until my cornering speed increased and the nanny is now reminding me that she is still there

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post

Len at PitBull Powersports adjusted my 2011 Spyder RT stage 5 shocks, installed them on my 2013 Spyder RT-S, it is like on rails in corners, nanny does not kick in.
    The stage 5 Elka front shocks are worth the extra money for ease of having adjustment for High & Low speed compression dampening, rear stage 1+, setting up 2013 Spyder RT to your riding. If you order Elka Stage 5 RT front shocks & rear 1+, from Len he will set them up spot on!! The 2013 RT shocks are 13" eye to eye (1" longer than 2011 shocks).
    Jim
    Here is a quote from the Elka fact sheet that I downloaded: "REDUCED BODY ROLL AND FRONT-END WANDERING". The wandering is also what caught my eye. On my daily commute I have this one back road which is a tarred and stoned road. It is uneven and the Spyder will wallow and wander all the way down it. You can't keep it straight even at 50 MPH. Have you experienced with your new shocks whether this type of road condition is improved or even eliminated?

Spyder Garage

Your best bang for the buck, and the most effective way to reduce excessive body roll is to replace your OEM swaybar with a BajaRon bar. Evaluate that, then decide on the Elkas and/or Pitbull shock relocators. It does sound like you may still have some things that can be done in the way of technique, like weight shifting and leaning the upper body into the corner, but some suspension changes will make these things less necessary and precise technique less critical. Buy a BajaRon swaybar...you won't be sorry!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your best bang for the buck, and the most effective way to reduce excessive body roll is to replace your OEM swaybar with a BajaRon bar. Evaluate that, then decide on the Elkas and/or Pitbull shock relocators. It does sound like you may still have some things that can be done in the way of technique, like weight shifting and leaning the upper body into the corner, but some suspension changes will make these things less necessary and precise technique less critical. Buy a BajaRon swaybar...you won't be sorry!
    Already done. I even added the chromoly heim joints and it definitely made a big improvement. I also believe that I've exhausted the options for body positioning. That is why I'm looking for what I can do next. It sounds like the suspension upgrade might be the next logical step.

Spyder Garage

Here is a quote from the Elka fact sheet that I downloaded: "REDUCED BODY ROLL AND FRONT-END WANDERING". The wandering is also what caught my eye. On my daily commute I have this one back road which is a tarred and stoned road. It is uneven and the Spyder will wallow and wander all the way down it. You can't keep it straight even at 50 MPH. Have you experienced with your new shocks whether this type of road condition is improved or even eliminated?
    My 2013 Spyder RT-S SE5 does not wander with my 2011 Elka stage 5 front shocks, stage 1+ rear shock. (rear tire pressure 28#, front 17#).
    I suggest you give Len a call at PitBull powersports Springfield, Mo 417-863-1418 about Elka shocks for your 2013 Spyder RT. (I am not sure if Elka makes stage 5 front shocks for 2013 Spyder RT; but they are worth extra $$ in my opinion).
    Was your 2013 Spyder RT built after March 2013? If built before that you may need front ball joints replaced under BRP recall.
    (I noticed you enjoy supercross/motorcross. I raced/rode dirt bikes for 31 years in California Mojave desert; (B to V race was awesome).
    (Maybe you can add info to your profile of what year Spyder RT, when you bought it, SE5, mods, your 1st name, etc).
    (Did you put a reflective insulated heat barrier in front of master brake cylinder on right side of 2013 Spyder RT yet)?
    Enjoy your RT riding!! Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    My 2013 Spyder RT-S SE5 does not wander with my 2011 Elka stage 5 front shocks, stage 1+ rear shock. (rear tire pressure 28#, front 17#).
    I suggest you give Len a call at PitBull powersports Springfield, Mo 417-863-1418 about Elka shocks for your 2013 Spyder RT. (I am not sure if Elka makes stage 5 front shocks for 2013 Spyder RT; but they are worth extra $$ in my opinion).
    Was your 2013 Spyder RT built after March 2013? If built before that you may need front ball joints replaced under BRP recall.
    (I noticed you enjoy supercross/motorcross. I raced/rode dirt bikes for 31 years in California Mojave desert; (B to V race was awesome).
    (Maybe you can add info to your profile of what year Spyder RT, when you bought it, SE5, mods, your 1st name, etc).
    (Did you put a reflective insulated heat barrier in front of master brake cylinder on right side of 2013 Spyder RT yet)?
    Enjoy your RT riding!! Jim
    I just checked the tag and it was built in April 2013, so hopefully I am good with the ball joints. I have not added any heat barrier to the master cylinder as I was not aware of this issue until I saw the thread about the recall in Canada.

It is always good to meet another dirt bike enthusiast. Like you, I've ridden most of my life as I started when I was 10. I raced District 3 MX for many years in the 125 / 250 Amateur class. I currently belong to a local MX club and my current ride is a 2012 Honda CRF250R. I have 3 sons and we all ride every weekend. We attended the Unadilla MX National a few weeks ago and the club I belong to flags that event. It is an incredible feeling being on the track with the Pros. It makes me realize that I am not as good of a rider as I think I am

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I was hoping that a way to "adjust" Nanny's attitude toward too much fun would be easy-peasy...
    32 ounce ball peen hammer. Subtlety counts.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Would sure like to find the source of this

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    I don't remember where I read it but the story goes that Bosch were brought to develop the Nanny because BRP discovered that their Spyder prototype could not be ridden safely in its raw state. It badly needed the VSS to make it a safe, viable proposition.
    I would sure like to find the source of this rumor. I really want to check its accuracy. It just doesn't make sense. If the Spyder were that unsafe, then any vehicle manufacturer relying on a single computer to fix the problems would be crazy. Computers fail...we all know that. Sometimes they fail at bad times. You gotta be able to handle your machine, whether it is a trike, a bike, or a car with or without the computer. BRP knows that. For them to rely on a single computer to make something safe when its design is too unsafe to sell, is...well, asking to lose a very big product liability lawsuit.

i have no real knowledge of this, but I am guessing that BRP installed the nanny for two reasons: 1) to attract riders with no motorcycle experience, and 2) to keep those with motorcycle experience, and who do not respect that a spyder has much different road-geometry than a two wheeler, from getting in wrecks. Both of these reasons are really marketing driven.

I donno tho. I wish there were more verifiable facts available.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Experienced test riders of the early prototype Spyders likened riding it without the VSS to "riding a lawn dart". Like large SUV's (think Ford Explorer), Spyders have some inherent stabilty problems under extreme conditions. Physics always wins in the end. Like large, modern SUV's, BRP elected to resolve these possible problems with a Vehicle Stability System. I have no doubt that their target demographic entered into the settings and features they selected, but they did feel the system was necessary for all riders, and enlisted Bosch to help develop it. The first system was a modified 4-whell vehicle system, and the early Spyders, like Nancy's 2008, actually had four ABS sensors as a result.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When touring together, it is not an issue as it never kicks in.
    This comment is on the mark. I had the same experience with my '08 GS. After a lot of thought I concluded that the computer was making adjustments to the sensitivity to the yaw/body roll sensor when there is a passenger aboard. I mentioned this at the 1st event in Gatlingburg to some other Spyderlovers and one of them decided to do something to test it. He managed to rig the seat sensor switch to think that a passenger on board all the time and verified that, indeed, the nanny did back off on how quickly it engaged. That said, anything that you can do to limit the amount of body roll will postpone the nanny from kicking in. This would include sway bars, shocks/springs, tires etc. Any or all of these can be used to accomplish what you are looking for!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I talked with one of the fellows who was a subcontractor that worked on the front suspension developement... He personally told it to me, and I believe him!
    They were having a lot of trouble getting the bike to handle consistently; any cargo stored up in the front was making for some really wonky changes in how the bike felt... Cubic dollars were being spent on getting it to work; it took Bosch, to make it a real possibility!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Must ride harder! My nanny has been asleep at the wheel! I mean handlebars. I kindve like it that way but I think she may wake up after Im already in a ditch.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you cross the line; she'll let you know about it...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daltmeyer View Post
    Must ride harder! My nanny has been asleep at the wheel! I mean handlebars. I kindve like it that way but I think she may wake up after Im already in a ditch.
    That's been my concern too... While taking my trike ryding test I misunderstood what speed I was supposed to take a hard right turn at. Anyway I tried to hold 20 mph around the turn and the front wheels broke loose a little and went over the white line, then at the end of the test while making a hard stop from around 15 mph, I managed to break loose a wheel or two, no big deal though, passed anyway. About 2 weeks or so ago I took a left hand 30 mph turn at 60 mph (It's a decreasing radius kind of corner and kind of tricky) Anyway the rear tire broke loose for a split second, went into slight oversteer, caught and came back but I never felt the nanny kick in, nor have I ever felt it. But then again, maybe it's been keeping stupid me out of the ditch all along and I didn't know it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!

Spyder Garage

My take on the whole thing is recommending not messing with the vehicle control systems. As technical as the is, there is a lot that can go wrong if something is not adjusted right. I would also think that messing with the system could cause warranty issues in the event of a catastrophic failure of any kind.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    He managed to rig the seat sensor switch to think that a passenger on board all the time and verified that, indeed, the nanny did back off on how quickly it engaged.
    Do you know where this switch is located and how to rig it? Is it a matter of unplugging it or closing the circuit on it? I would certainly be willing to give it a try to see if it does what I'm looking for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    But then again, maybe it's been keeping stupid me out of the ditch all along and I didn't know it.
    I highly doubt it. How could you not know its applying the brakes or limiting your rpms? At the very least the icons on the dash should light up if this was happening to clue us in. Ive heard many say on here that its unmistakable when she takes over and kindve jarring if youve never experienced it.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

Do you know where this switch is located and how to rig it? Is it a matter of unplugging it or closing the circuit on it? I would certainly be willing to give it a try to see if it does what I'm looking for.

Its the round cap with a couple screws and wire under the seat on an RS. The switch is round and gets pushed in when someone sits down to close the circuit.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi