Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Really BRP????? (venting)

Our 2011 Spyder had been at the shop now since August 20th. It wasn't shifting and throwing codes. This has happened before and mechanic said it was a software issues and redid the software back in Feb. Will we had same issue beginning August.
    We are still for last several months have had codes saying we are running rich in second cyclinder. So now they have gotten permission from BRP to fix both problems and replace purge value and gear sensor.

I get a call from dealership and the parts won't even be send out from BRP till at least Sept 11th. WTH

They say they are no longer sending out parts for the 2011 as they have new parts that will be on the 2014 and they want dealer to put new parts for the 2014 on our 2011.
    Of Course my dealer won't do a search of surrounding areas to see if anyone has the parts so our spyder can get fixed and we can be out ryding while the weather is still good. The only good thing about the dealer where we take our spyder for service is the Spyder Mechanic (who happens to be on vacation right now). He is the only reason we go there. The place where we bought our spyder doesn't even have a decent spyder mechanic.

Those of us who suffer from Depression and depended on our spyders to help with the depression are thrown into a tail spin when we are without our Therapy.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Cindy
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Spyder Garage

We will keep watching and hope you get results quickly. What is happening to you should not be happening. Customer service at some places needs to be improved. I am dismayed that the customer is always held hostage over "STUPID". What are they thinking?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Couple View Post
    Our 2011 Spyder had been at the shop now since August 20th. It wasn't shifting and throwing codes. This has happened before and mechanic said it was a software issues and redid the software back in Feb. Will we had same issue beginning August.
    We are still for last several months have had codes saying we are running rich in second cyclinder. So now they have gotten permission from BRP to fix both problems and replace purge value and gear sensor.

I get a call from dealership and the parts won't even be send out from BRP till at least Sept 11th. WTH

They say they are no longer sending out parts for the 2011 as they have new parts that will be on the 2014 and they want dealer to put new parts for the 2014 on our 2011.
    Of Course my dealer won't do a search of surrounding areas to see if anyone has the parts so our spyder can get fixed and we can be out ryding while the weather is still good. The only good thing about the dealer where we take our spyder for service is the Spyder Mechanic (who happens to be on vacation right now). He is the only reason we go there. The place where we bought our spyder doesn't even have a decent spyder mechanic.

Those of us who suffer from Depression and depended on our spyders to help with the depression are thrown into a tail spin when we are without our Therapy.

Cindy
    this has been going on for 6 years with BRP, This is one reason I will never buy another
    BRP product,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlee View Post
    this has been going on for 6 years with BRP, This is one reason I will never buy another
    BRP product,

Just what is "THIS"???

Spyder Garage

I have had problems with that gear selector indicator thing. They ordered a plastic thingy that supposedly sends correct info to the screen. I was getting E instead of a gear now and then and finally an orange screen that said "Engjne"
    They looked and decided to order the magical plastic thing that is probably what you referred to above. I kept riding because I wasn't goi ng to miss some things I wanted to do. Three weeks later the part comes in and it did the job. It reminded me of a plastic 3 pointed star that in no way could live in the engine heat environment of a Rotax. Sure enough, it works, but unless they switch to metal, I would expect it to act up again. I would hope that's what the 2014 part is made of, or what ever is better in that heat. Harley put plastic cam followers in the 88 cu in engine in 1999. Recalls, awful problem, then offered a new kit with new oil pump and hyd operated sys and it is super. Everyone wants to save money building his product and many times the purchaser gets the shaft on recalls or upgrades. Price of buying toys, cars, a house or what ever.
    That's today's economic message from Georgia.
    Caveat Emptor
    Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 08-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know what you said; but you said it pretty!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default If anything kills the Spyder

It's going to be the lack of reliable competent customer service at the dealerships and the seeming inability of BRP to keep parts moving in a timely manner. I'm really curious if owners of other BRP products have the same experience.

Actually I'd be curious if the rest of Bombardier operates in the same manner.

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
    It's going to be the lack of reliable competent customer service at the dealerships and the seeming inability of BRP to keep parts moving in a timely manner. I'm really curious if owners of other BRP products have the same experience.

Ride and ride safe
    5 years ago when i told my Sons i was buying a Spyder they said your crazy, If you ever need an important part[s] Expect to hear ;.,
    It's on back order,; And you might lose a large part of the riding season waiting for the part[s]....
    At that time between my sons they had 3 BRP snowmobiles, and been though the ;Parts are on back order dance...
    Just saying, Some thing never change...

Spyder Garage

Went to my dealer the other day for the oval grommets on the upper middle panel. Found that BB's 2010 was missing them on the left panel (last r&r by dealer). Parts tech said none in stock, have to order them. Shipping is twice what two grommets cost.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default what I see..!!

having worked shops in two continents I have found that here you no longer have repair shops. That is third world and far away lands. If you find a shop that repairs it will be run by a foreigner. Here we only deal in replacing parts. Having also worked in import and export there is a ordering process (no longer used here) for always having stock. This does not require having huge stock piles. So the shops I'm hearing about have no parts will order only from brp directly (not from outside suppliers like cheapcycleparts.com or other dealers) and will hold your roadster hostage...they really need help...I do my own work and don't care where the parts I need come from...sorry this is no help but does explain some things...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    I have had problems with that gear selector indicator thing. They ordered a plastic thingy that supposedly sends correct info to the screen. I was getting E instead of a gear now and then and finally an orange screen that said "Engjne"
    They looked and decided to order the magical plastic thing that is probably what you referred to above. I kept riding because I wasn't goi ng to miss some things I wanted to do. Three weeks later the part comes in and it did the job. It reminded me of a plastic 3 pointed star that in no way could live in the engine heat environment of a Rotax. Sure enough, it works, but unless they switch to metal, I would expect it to act up again. I would hope that's what the 2014 part is made of, or what ever is better in that heat. Harley put plastic cam followers in the 88 cu in engine in 1999. Recalls, awful problem, then offered a new kit with new oil pump and hyd operated sys and it is super. Everyone wants to save money building his product and many times the purchaser gets the shaft on recalls or upgrades. Price of buying toys, cars, a house or what ever.
    That's today's economic message from Georgia.
    Caveat Emptor
    Tuck
    Seems like your dealer is not very good at service. I had the Gear Position Sensor go out on mine and they had the part the next day - from Atlanta. Took a couple of hours to fix and it was all under warranty. I was, of course, armed with information I got from Spyderlovers and actually told the tech what was wrong.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are the second to report that their dealer can't get the purge valve.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Really BRP????? (venting)

My part was the last thing under the original 2 year warranty, so price is not a factor, yet. It was $79 for the darned thing that looked like it came off a Chinese cheapie. Critics please I didn't use any contraction or commonly used nationality reference like slipped through the other day!
    Anyway, I asked them to check locally and I never really got a response. They are great folks, the "system" appears to be geared to work best for BRP, the customer will wait.
    My Spyder is fine, the technician superb, the support aspects from BRP and, yes, even the dealership itself, need to improve if they plan to stay as players in the industry.

Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 08-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post

Ride and ride safe,
    I gotta tell you, I've owned six skidoos and never had a problem getting a part in any more than three days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    I gotta tell you, I've owned six skidoos and never had a problem getting a part in any more than three days.
    Did you get your Spyder from the same dealer where you got your Skidoos? If so how's the Spyder service/parts? What I'm trying to wrap my head around is is the dealers or BRP or both that cause these unnecessarily long delays in get parts and getting work done.

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Been there, done that. I know exactly what you are talking about. Many of us (Spyder owners) face those same issues as well as many of us have to wait weeks if not months for certain parts to come in. What makes this situation worse is when you don't have a dealership that will fight and work for a speedy solution. The icing on the cake is when BRP does not 100% support the owners by having a inventory of parts. We bought these beautiful machines to enjoy the road with. Not to be feeling frustrated and angry that they need so many repairs and after market accessories to run and ride smooth.
    With my Spyder, just about everything has been replaced on it several times from minor to major. The only grace was finding a mechanic that knows what he's doing and has saved the day for most of us Southern California Spyder Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Couple View Post

Cindy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    There lies the rub.
    BRP's dealer's for the most part don't appreciate what they are selling and who they are selling it to.
    I sat in my Zinc Dealership one entire morning and what I witnessed would or at least should make the those in power at BRP skin crawl.
    A white haired distinguished looking man came in and inquired about a system so he could communicate with his his wife.
    I recognized him as a prominent orthopedic surgeon who owns several patents on devices used in surgery.
    He wanted a solution to his problem.
    He was told the BRP solution was too expensive and he should use his cell phone.
    This guy actually owns an entire town.
    He left with his needs unfulfilled because they were "too expensive"

The dealers and probably BRP must realize that people who buy two Spyder Rt-Limited and have them chromed to the max aren't interested in the least expensive way to handle their problems.
    They want their problems handled. period.

We want service and we want it now.

Well said Roger.
    Darrell & Cindy
    2011 Orbital Blue CanAm Spyder RT-S se5 w/ Communication System & trailer hitch, Arm Rests, Elkas shocks, Baja Ron swaybar & spark plugs and wires, Custom dynamatics fender lights & third brake light, Seal floorboard "PUP" floor boards, CycleMate utility Trailer and Sena 20s with dongle.

Spyder Garage

Default Really BRP (UPDATE)

Purge value is on its way from BRP.

Gear sensor is not available untill at least September 11 and maybe December before we can get one.

The part number is 420266167 Shift Angle rotataion Sensor $135

If anyone know where I can get one please let me know.

It is frustrating that you can't get parts when you need them. We spend our hard working money for a spyder that when it has issues
    it can't get fixed as fast as it fell apart. I love our spyder but having to wait on BRP to get there A** together is frustrating.
    Darrell & Cindy

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

"cheapcycleparts.com" see if they have the part you need. I checked their parts diagrams and they list it at $134.95...if they do will your shop install it..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be waiting for my shop to be calling around. I'd be calling other Spyder dealers to ask if they have the part in stock. Most dealers will ship you a part if they have. Might be worth the try. Then at least you can say that you've done everything to get back on the road sooner then their projected date. You shouldn't have to that's what stinks
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The dealer has access via computer to see where the closest part they need is located....they just have to use the resource...good luck....My ST goes in Tuesday morning for rough idle...and other things.....I'm betting 2 to 3 weeks...please keep my Spyder in our thoughts

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Just asking...

Is BRP the "big bad wolf" or the individual dealership? For me I have gotten nothing but awesome service once I get BRP involved. The limited exposure I have had with individual dealerships has also been GREAT....BUT and please read this....I research extensively for dealerships that are customer service as their #1 priority. Where how do I find them? I start right here with fellow Spyderlovers...I call and talk to service manager AND I will not limit myself to the "closest" dealership.
    So around this issue...and trust me if I couldn't ryde Ms Spyder I would be less than pleased....have you called BRP direct. I have found their customer service contacts very helpful...if you have not gone directly to BRP I ask why not?
    Good luck and getting back on the road before the season ends...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Is BRP the "big bad wolf" or the individual dealership? For me I have gotten nothing but awesome service once I get BRP involved. The limited exposure I have had with individual dealerships has also been GREAT....BUT and please read this....I research extensively for dealerships that are customer service as their #1 priority. Where how do I find them? I start right here with fellow Spyderlovers...I call and talk to service manager AND I will not limit myself to the "closest" dealership.
    So around this issue...and trust me if I couldn't ryde Ms Spyder I would be less than pleased....have you called BRP direct. I have found their customer service contacts very helpful...if you have not gone directly to BRP I ask why not?
    Good luck and getting back on the road before the season ends...
    and I have a case in point: Wife wanted to buy BRP's Spyder Mesh jacket. Went to the dealer and had all the sizes except the one she wanted. The Spyder parts/accessories
    manager (also the Spyder Tech) checks online and says that the system showed the jacket "not in stock" so she buys the bigger size. I go and check BRP's page (when they announced the 30% discount on 2013 clothing) and ordered her jacket on her size (and got it cheaper too). BRP uses Shopatron, which allows its clients to accept orders on their website and send them to their retailers or dealer channels for delivery to the end-consumer. This avoids the business problem known as channel conflict, where the retailer and the manufacturer are competing for the sale. She got the jacket from a dealer in Poughkeepsie, NY in less than a week. They use the same system for parts as well.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I agree with MurphyBrown. Get BRP involved.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default making calls today

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I agree with MurphyBrown. Get BRP involved.
    We will be contacting BRP. A friend of ours has contacted some other BRP dealers and so far no one has the gear sensor. We are making more calls today and also checking cheapcycleparts.com.

Thank you everyone.
    Darrell & Cindy