Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Front end wobble

40 to 47 MPH 4th gear front wheels start to wobble, Dealer says I should not shift until 4500 to 5000 rpm. I was shifting 2800 to 3500 rpm she says the spyder engine is designed for higher rpm than I'm use to with V-twins. She says the engine located between the front wheels will shudder if rpms are to low causing the front wheels to wobble. She says they looked the front end over finding no issues to cause wobble. Has any one out there had a wobble issue.

Spyder Garage

You are most defiantly shifting at the lower than recommended RPM.

Spyder Garage

Yes it seems the spyder does not like any lugging at all. Retrain your ear. That's was I've been doing and it runs a whole lot better. Good Luck. Shift her at 4500 to 5000 or even higher and you will be a happy camper..

Spyder Garage

Your dealer is correct on the shifting. An SE Spyder needs to be at 3500 or greater after the shift to avoid clutch damage. You may have other problems, but by lugging the engine as you are, you are causing excessive engine and belt vibrations. You can damage your engine and clutch, and you are not tapping the performance of the Rotax engine. You may even get better gas mileage. The Spyder engine is a whole lot happier, and performs much better, above 5,000 rpm. This is not a Harley, a Goldwing, or a Chevy. It needs the higher rpm...and it is designed to operate there.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Fully agree..!!

it's hard but the fact is these engines do best running at higher rpm's..try it and see if your problem improves...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by pgizzijr View Post
    40 to 47 MPH 4th gear front wheels start to wobble, Dealer says I should not shift until 4500 to 5000 rpm. I was shifting 2800 to 3500 rpm she says the spyder engine is designed for higher rpm than I'm use to with V-twins. She says the engine located between the front wheels will shudder if rpms are to low causing the front wheels to wobble. She says they looked the front end over finding no issues to cause wobble. Has any one out there had a wobble issue.
    I too have experienced this speed wobble as you posted. Never thought I had been lugging the engine but now I know----revs for sure. Thanks to all those who posted the answers to this inquiry.
    2013 STS , Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the higher RPMs don't fix the wobble have your dealer check your shocks.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pgizzijr View Post
    By the way, the Rotax in your Spyder is a V-Twin.... Just not based on 1940's technology!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...