Thread: sqeeky brakes

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default sqeeky brakes

I have about 21000 kms on 2012 rt the brakes squeal so bad while backing up folks look at my bike like it is a bucket of bolts I know other riders have same problem has there bin a fix for this yet

Spyder Garage

No. It can be maddening and embarrassing.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bob edward View Post
    I have about 21000 kms on 2012 rt the brakes squeal so bad while backing up folks look at my bike like it is a bucket of bolts I know other riders have same problem has there bin a fix for this yet
    When people are around just keep some braking pressure on the pedal as you back up
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

There are several things you can do to reduce or eliminate the noise but I have found this, coupled with quiet pads, to be the best approach. At 21K Km's you probably don't need new rear pads but if you go to the trouble of taking them off I would recommend putting new ones on.

Many have had very good luck with CRC Disk Brake Quiet. These are not Spyder pads but you get the idea. I recommend using CRC with all new pads. If you use the correct pads it is very likely that you will not need CRC. But you won't know for sure until you use them. It is so much easier to just put CRC on the pads at assembly and never have a problem.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

if they have found a solution. But outside of changing the discs and pads to a different material, no. You can clean the discs check the pins for notching and as mentioned apply a drag on the brakes while backing up...sorry..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Shewhoprays's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's EXTREMELY embarassing when ryding with a bunch of Harley guys. They look at me like WHERE DID YOU GET THAT THING!!!. Hate that part of the spyder.

Spyder Garage

I know the feeling. Working through same problem now. Have had some suggestions from great folks here. 1. clean brakes and check for dust and debris on pad and disk. 2. grease belt according to resent service bulletin and check alignment of belt and rear wheel. Just called my dealership and am setting up appointment to see if any of there suggestions work in my situation.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine squeals like a pig. My brother's does not.

Very embarrassing. I'd have thought BRP would have that sorted by now.
    --
    Central Arkansas
    2010 RS-S SE5 Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Squeal is ok

I don't mind the fact that my breaks squeal-makes others more aware that I am around them. Makes riding safer ! No big deal.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.6 KB, 19 views)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I like them squeaky.

I don't mind them squealing at all....helps others know Im around, makes riding safer ! This way everyone knows that I am coming ! Especially at places like the Beach where there is lots of stop and go traffic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default try this

only try this in a safe area. We have a long driveway, so I can do it before I go riding for the day. drive forward (or reverse) fairly quickly and slam on the brakes. Repeat 3 to 4 times. This usually stops the squeal for me. Not always, though if I do it 2 days in a row, it nearly always works. I notice mine usually only squeals after the wheels/brakes have gotten wet and dried. So I expect it on the day after riding in the rain or after it's been washed.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I never had squealing brakes until I recently changed to the new high performance pads I brought from Baja Ron. The old pads had anti rattle clips that came with the bike from the factory but the new pads are too thick so after consulting with Ron I left them off and put the CRC on the pads. Now it squeals like a banshee in both directions. I kept the clips so as soon as they wear down a bit I will put them back on. I am not sure what the CRC is suppose do but it did nothing on mine. I wonder if something was wrong with my bottle, it I left it for a hour before installing and the paste was still sloppy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I never had squealing brakes until I recently changed to the new high performance pads I brought from Baja Ron. The old pads had anti rattle clips that came with the bike from the factory but the new pads are too thick so after consulting with Ron I left them off and put the CRC on the pads. Now it squeals like a banshee in both directions. I kept the clips so as soon as they wear down a bit I will put them back on. I am not sure what the CRC is suppose do but it did nothing on mine. I wonder if something was wrong with my bottle, it I left it for a hour before installing and the paste was still sloppy.
    I am really surprised to hear this. Something is definitely different. You might try giving a light sanding to your rotors with some fine 300-400 grit emery sandpaper. Very strange that you would get noise from that setup.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked to see if they might just need to be replaced?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I usually get the "squeeky brake syndrome" after I have been riding in the rain, or wash the . Usually goes away once they get dried out. Backing up is the worst.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red