Thread: Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

Can anyone explain to me why I should spend $250 on a belt tensioner
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why I should spend $250 on a belt tensioner
    Yup, to get rid of the belt harmonics that you WILL experience without one. A belt tensioner really does improve the smoothness of the transmission by damping out the vibrations of that long drive belt. Has to be experienced to be believed.

As for paying $250, I paid an additional $107.83 for USPS postage and UK import duty. Just had to have it, those belt-induced vibrations were driving me nuts!
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 08-27-2013 at 07:43 AM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

There are very few modifications that I have made to my Spyder that have made as much difference as a belt tensioner. I use a Smoothspyder.

Early production Spyders had a much tighter belt tension and at that time there was no belt flapping. We had rear bearing wearing out and front sprockets breaking at that time. I assume that the tension was loosened to relieve some of these problems. Now we have belt harmonics that can cause a pretty severe shake at certain RPMS.

I suspect that BRP will eventually include a belt tensioner on all models but I would not hold my breath for that
    Last edited by bobnaquin; 08-27-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A lot depends on the type of riding you do..On a hilly interstate,a tensioner would probably make all of the difference in the world...It drove me crazy coming home to Illinois from North Carolina Owners Event...Since then,all of my riding has been from small town to small town and on secondary roads...I have almost forgot I had a vibration...Still wondering if I need to buy a tensioner before the next event..

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

on how much vibration you are experiencing. If you don't have that much and it doesn't bother you that much don't put one on or do when it does get to you. I have one and it does help...a lot has to do with ryding styles..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

If you don't feel a buzzing vibration at certain speeds/rpms, I would save your money. If you do and it bothers you (as it did me), the smoothspyder helps take out most of those vibrations. I think it was worth my money.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When i picked up my bike from the dealer after the 600 mile service we were talking and the shop manager told me what ever you do don't put a belt tensioner on the spyder. I thought this was strange and asked why he said that and he replied "If BRP would have wanted it on the bike and thought it was needed they would have installed it from the factory". I thought to myself "since when does a manufacturer install everything needed"..lol
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phillig View Post
    If you don't feel a buzzing vibration at certain speeds/rpms, I would save your money. If you do and it bothers you (as it did me), the smoothspyder helps take out most of those vibrations. I think it was worth my money.
    Good advice. It's pretty flat in my area, and all I do is short hops (120m or less round trip), and I haven't noticed any driveline vibration. So, it'd be a waste of money for me.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags