Thread: Is it safe...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is it safe...

...to raise the front end of a Spyder by placing the jack under Spyderpop's bump skid plate?

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

I know that spyderpops lets them down by using it. You should be ok as long as you place the jack in the center toward the back where the 2 screws bolt to the frame in the back of the plate. I would not just put the jack in the front and lift, too much pressure on all the Tupperware screws for me.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Doc - Riverside

Angry

Do not do it. You are trying to lift the entire weight of the machine with only two small bolts that secure the bottom of the Front Trunk to the frame. You break or strip the bolts while lifting you stand a good chance of breaking the 4 plastic tabs that secure the Front Trunk on the top. Replacement of the trunk will be big $$$$'s. The best thing to do is drive the front wheels up onto a couple of 2x6's to give yourself added ground clearance, then place the jack under the center to catch the frame just behind the sway bar. The frame can handle the load

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lift it from under it's belly...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    ...to raise the front end of a Spyder by placing the jack under Spyderpop's bump skid plate?
    The frunk is basically a plastic box. Placing your jack under any part of it with the intention of lifting half a ton of trike is not a cool idea. At the very least it will deform the frunk, it might even crack it.

If, like me, you're not able to get your trolley jack under the front to where the frame member is, lift the suspension under the A-frames a bit at a time, left and right alternately, and put supporting pieces of wood under the tires. I use off-cuts of scaffold planking for this, about 2" thick. When the Spyder is about 6" elevated I can push my trolley jack under the Spyder from the front back to where the main frame is and lift it safely. Better safe than sorry every time.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Noooo..!!

as mentioned before that is not study enough to hold the weight of your roadster. Don't know what jack you are using or what you intend on doing but the best place is along the lower frame. If it is a single pad jack make sure you have jack stands to support the roadster..be safe...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black