Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rode with over 50 Harleys on Sunday...

Well, This past Sunday I participated in the “Never Too Early 2 Ride” motorcycle fundraising ride. I was told that all bikes were welcomed. I showed up and immediately noticed that I was the only non-Harley (not to mention the only Spyder rider) out of at least 50 bikes. Turns out 2 local Harley chapters showed up for the ride and it was sponsored by Folsom Harley Davidson. It was about an hour before the ride began, so I mingled and chatted. Had some great conversations with some folks, but frankly, most weren't going out of their way to have a conversation.

Once it was announced to line up to begin the ride, I rode up next to a couple of guys, introduced myself and asked if there was a particular riding order. His response was "Yeah...trikes in the back cause they get in the way". I was riding 2-up with my girlfriend, so kept my cool, but this really pissed me off.

On the 1st stop of the ride, the wife of the man with the trike bias approached my girlfriend & I and apologized for her husband's comment earlier, and I told her I really appreciated her doing so, but thought he should be the one to apologize (Still thought it was really great of her to go out of her way to find me & apologize). She explained that they went on a long ride with a new RT owner & he would almost come to a complete stop before negotiating any corner, so the ride was less than fun due to his excessive, nervous braking. Although I totally understood her point (and their negative experience with the RT owner on the ride) I explained that it is unfair to judge the "whole" due to the actions of a "few", and that I am a more than competent Spyder driver and owner.

Stops 2, 3, and 4 produced more conversation with a couple more riders (Go-Pro related chat, how they kept all that chrome clean related chat). The ride home was phenomenal as it was through PLENTY of twists and turns...along with whoop-de-whoops (roads over rolling hills) and my Spyder was in heaven. The scenery was GREAT...gotta get me a Go PRo so I can see footage of my rides!!!

To sum it up...this was the first time I was going on an extended ride (approximately 150 miles round trip) riding 2-up, as I took my girlfriend with me. I found that I want to get the BajaRon sway bar due to the roll in corners riding 2 up (I do not get this roll riding solo). Also, the ride itself I found great...but those I rode with I found unwelcoming to a good degree. Again, I state that I found some individuals very pleasant and engaging, but I did feel that the mass was a bit like the high school clicks where it was "Them and us". I do not judge the whole by the actions of a few, since I have ridden with other Harley riders and they have been VERY open and welcoming to riding with myself as well as other bikes. In fact, this is probably the 1st time I have ridden with a group of Harley riders and left with a bad taste in my mouth. I have decided that although my initial reaction was to "stay with my own" and ride with other Spyders only (this was an emotional reaction that lasted only a couple of minutes), clarity eventually prevailed and I have come to the conclusion that although I will not be participating in this particular ride in the future, I will continue to ride with anyone wanting to welcome my company and my 3 wheels.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, a large percentage of Harley ryders have the attitude, "If you don't ryde a Harley, you ain't sh*t."

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

right there with you on your feelings about the group rides and the personalities of some of those involved. went on a poker run last year sponsored by o'tooles harley in wurtzboro ,ny and found my self with 1 other spyder and 80 or more harleys. if it hadn't been for "paws for life" i probably would have just left after making my donation, but really wanted to go for a spin. so like you, the two spyders ended up in the rear, and on we went!

Spyder Garage

I am sorry that you had a poor experience with them, the majority of Harley Riders that i have encountered are pretty decent but their is still a large number of them out there that have the "Harley" attitude but i think they are coming around (slowly).

If i were you i would do the ride again next year and maybe get a couple of other spyders to go with you. i ride with one particular Spyder Ryder that wears the Harley guys out when they are in front of him and leaves them in the dust when they are behind him.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

You showed maturity. There are children no matter where you go. It is amazing, the number of people who just stop maturing around the sophomore year of high school. They go through the rest of their lives, getting older, every year . . . but still sophomoric in their actions! I suppose it is a deep-seated sense of insecurity. Pity them . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Part of the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    i ride with one particular Spyder Ryder that wears the Harley guys out when they are in front of him and leaves them in the dust when they are behind him.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe, I fear that is exactly part of the problem...up the hills and in the corners the Harleys couldn't touch me, and my Spyder was begging for more!!! Maybe this is why the silent treatment during the stops

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly..!!

the ratio is still high. The older and yuppier Harley riders seem to be more open but the hard core still hold their ground and feel anything but them should be on the road. They hate the crotch rockets more than us because they run circles around them. Us they feel are just in their way although they have to bite their tongues because of their trikes. I have found that a good ryder can out ride Harley's as well. I am not the greatest but find that I come up on Harley's on the mountain roads and ryde their tails till they finally pull over and make like their bike is acting up look down at it and then pull out behind me. I still ryde on rides that are open to all bikes and find the friendly ones to hang with...glad you hung in there and showed them class..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    Joe, I fear that is exactly part of the problem...up the hills and in the corners the Harleys couldn't touch me, and my Spyder was begging for more!!! Maybe this is why the silent treatment during the stops
    I promise you that the Harley folks hate to be outridden by any type of bike, especialy a Spyder. the only thing a Harley can do better than a Spyder is make noise.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

. . . the only thing a Harley can do better than a Spyder is make noise.

Cruzr Joe
    But they do make a great noise when compared to crotch-rockets!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

The real riders in the group will treat everyone with respect because they ride, not for what the ride. I was told by a Harley rider I used to work with that he never would ride a trike (had sold his bike due to medical problems). I saw him a few months later and he was re-thinking things. I think he was missing the wind in his face more than his hog.

It is common in a group ride for trikes to be in the back. It helps maintain spacing and everyone to proceed at their own pace, for the most part. I wouldn't think much of that.

I would recommend you keep riding with whomever you enjoy visiting with - regardless of what they ride. It is funny, however, that I seem to get more waves on my Vulcan than on the Spyder - but not too much difference.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

the only thing a Harley can do better than a Spyder is make noise.

Cruzr Joe
    Depends on the Spyder.

With a loud pipe I think the Spyder sounds like a supercharged beast, and the Harley sounds like a John Deere tractor from my childhood..... "Plup, plup, plup, plup", well you get the idea.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

"IF" i ride in the back of the pack, which i seldom do, it is because i choose to, not because someone says trikes to the rear.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

"His response was "Yeah...trikes in the back cause they get in the way" aha! so he did acknowledge as a motorcycle
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

I have to say that 'Trikes in the back' has been conventional wisdom for a long time. This is because conventional trikes have a mechanical disadvantage in the twisties. Though there are some who are skilled enough to keep up on a conventional trike, this is rare.

A standard Spyder with a skilled rider should be able to keep up with most 2 wheeler's and Harley riders are not normally burning up the twisties. A well set up Spyder should be able to do better than keep up with the average 2 wheeler.

3 wheels still have a disadvantage when compared to a full race machine like a Hayabusa, Ninja, etc. But try riding one of them on a long distance tour.

I applaud you for keeping your cool and letting the issue resolve itself. That's hard to do.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up. You will always run into a few negatives when you have a crowd that big. Glad you had a good time anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your nice attitude and I'm glad you represented most of us what kind of riders we are.God Bless us All.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Harley Rides

I still ride with my Hog group that I was in for 7 years, so I guess I don't see this attitude at all. Every ride I do with them I offer to be in the back due to the spacing recommended ny MSF. The answer is "ride where you want and ride your own ride." Never been a problem and Even with diff groups, I've not had any. I do not exceed the speed limit by more than 10 mph in a group ride, and I just let them wander off if that's what they want to do. The HOG group in Cartersville, GA is first class. BTW, they are up to 6 or 7 HD trikes now and no malice towards them either, even when thy ride in the middle. Mature riders make a giant difference in the conduct of a good ride. If you want to ride a Spyder like a Jap bike, go ahead, ride with folks of the same attitude and have a great time.

Time to ride down the road 15 miles and get dinner with some grand kids.

Tuck

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I went on a charity poker run "Ride for Cancer",and we were the only Spyder among all of the Harleys..Not one person talked to us...We split in groups and I found myself in the lead on one group..I told my wife,I bet its killing these guys to follow a Spyder...I made sure I stayed out front,not letting them quite catch up..I pulled over after a while at a stop,waived them next to me,and said "why don't you guys lead,I don't wanna hold you up".....They said "your doing fine,stay where you're at!"....Just don't get the attitude..Harley Davidson is a marketing miracle...Got to give it to them..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    on your nice attitude and I'm glad you represented most of us what kind of riders we are.God Bless us All.
    "DITTO"

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    If you want to ride a Spyder like a Jap bike, go ahead, ride with folks of the same attitude and have a great time.

Time to ride down the road 15 miles and get dinner with some grand kids.

Tuck
    A WHAT kind of bike????????????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    A WHAT kind of bike????????????

Yup...I thought that term was outdated and no longer used.

Spyder Garage

I have never ridden with other spyders, always a combination of two wheels; Harley included, with me being the only sypder, if its my turn to lead I am upfront, if not i take the back so we can maintain a formation. I never ryde in the middle. I hug the middle of the lane while riding, when we come to a stop the last Ryder moves over so I can pull up next to him.
    i can keep up with everyone in the group except the Ninja 650
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the ride and the purpose of the ride, that sounds like the important fact to remember . There is always gonna be that attitude since we ride a three wheeled vehicle. There are a lot of Harley riders out there and is always that small amount with that attitude.

Spyder Garage

I have to get in on this one. What is a "Jap Bike?" Lets get out of the name calling/downgrading anothers ride.
    I like to ride. I hope you get to ride as much as you want on what you want. There are idots on every brand out there. Lets remember the people.
    End of rant
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Yea, it probably is. When you grew up with the whole world at war, you might have sub conscious flash backs or what ever some might read into that faux pax. I guarantee my Mother would smack me one and rightfully so.

Too bad I' m not perfect like some. No excuse for you to beat me up.
    If you prefer Japanese or Korean or whatever that's fine - so do I. Isn't that amazing that I'm not a racist pig? Sorry to disappoint you.
    Tuck