Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Recommended Trike Training - N.VA???

Apologize - searched the forum first but did not see any relevant hits right away...

I'm signed up for motorcycle training at Apex in Woodbridge but was curious if there are any other options? I don't particularly want to sit in class for 2.5 days over a weekend. Is there any other training in Fredericksburg or Stafford VA?

Worse case I'll take the class at Apex - I have heard good things about them.

Thanks...

Spyder Garage

Personally I didn't have time for the 2.5-3 day courses Virginia wants you to take, so I've been training myself by getting some time on the bike and doing some practicing in parking lots.

I have 30 days before I can take the DMV skills test, by then it should be a breeze to pass their parking lot skills test.

On the DMV site they do have a list of places to take courses, but they're pretty spread out.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Apex offers training in Stafford at the airport, but only 2 wheel. The 3 wheel is only held at Woodbridge. As far as I know there are no other options. I did the 2 wheel course spring of 2012 and wife did 3 wheel course a few weeks after. Great thing is there is no DMV to deal with other than going in to pick up the new license. Also, as of July 1 this year VA has separate endorsements for 2 and 3 wheel. To ride both, you need to pass both. Prior to 1 July all are grandfathered in M class for both 2 & 3 wheels.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Probably won't help much but wife just completed the NC MSF trike course this past weeked. It's two 8 hour days. She's been riding almost two years but wanted to complete the course. This is a new course.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I highly reccomend taking the course whether 2 or 3 wheel (we only have 2 wheel here). The skills you will learn are valuable and may well save your life (just ask my wife about her experience). Plus you can typically get an additional insurance discount to boot...we got a discount for the motorcycle endorsement plus the additional discount for haven taken the class.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I know nothing about this course, but most motorcycle class are not all in class. Alot is out on a riding range. Some furnish motorcycles, other you bring your own. You learn a lot.
    I try to take a course every couple years to learn and remind me of what I forgot.
    A crash ( fatal )here a couple days ago, the somebody stated the motorcycle was laid down to try to avoid a crash. They stop a whole lot faster with the wheels on the road, then sliding on their side.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the best lesson I've got is to make sure you can be seen by all. Bright and luminous riding clothes lessen the changes of getting accident. JMHO.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Culpeper, VA-Virginia's most misspelled town!
    Spyder Garage

Default Trike Training in NVA

Apex teaches the Evergreen Sidecar and Trike Safety Program. They use four Spyders on the range. Two SE5, two SM5. Excellent course, excellent instructors. Start Friday evening in classroom, and ride the range ALL day Saturday and most of the day Sunday, then you take the test.
    Take the course.
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze- Spending my children's inheritance on my Spyder and farkles-so they don't have to learn how to. It's a dirty job--but someone's got to do it!